I had the misfortune to go thru the ice last yeat at Glasgo Pond in Griswold. I had sneakers on that day because my boots hurt my feet. I broke thru rotten white ice without warning into ten feet of water. Once I realized I wasn't dreaming, (I'm not trying to be funny here- it was my first thought) I realized I had to get up to the surface fast or I wasn't going to. What was probably ten seconds under water seemed like alot more but when I surfaced I was turned towards where I was going in the first place and the ice wouldn't support me. I turned the other way, made my way to my sled which had'nt gone in with me and kicked out onto the ice and lay flat for a few seconds. I then rolled and was able to stand, grabbed the rope to my sled and slowly walked to my car which wasn't far away since this happened at the boat ramp where I parked. I for one, with only the experience of actually going thru the ice as my scientific study, will NEVER wear boots on the ice. Multiple pairs of socks, 3 plastic bags on each foot and sneakers will do the job for me. I don't believe I would be here today if I had my boots on. It would be a rare individual who would have both the presence of mind and the actual time to get off even an untied pair of boots and still get back to the top. I now wear a life vest and always try to have as partner and a plan.