A few thoughts on ice saftey. I own a drysuit for winter surfing. It is very light weight and thin. The clothes you wear under it keep you warm. You could ice fish in it. It does float if there is a bit of air in it.I spent about $450.00 on it several years ago. Warmwinds surf shop (or any) can get them. OS Systems makes them.
Having gone through the ice myself, the scare, the gasp and the cold water all work to disorient you. The panic will drown you the quickest. The rope is good and ice picks are good. Wear them around your neck on long shoe laces or a tether of some sort so they are right there. After all this has been said, take some of the other advice on the site, stay home and polish lures, sharpen hooks, and rerig your gear for next year. It just isnt worth it! Dont mean to preach, just sharing my perspective, and experience.

Behold the fisherman. Mighty are his preparations. He arises early and full of hope. He fishes all day and returns late in the evening, smelling afoul, and the truth is not in him.