One thing to remember if you do go through and under the ice is to get your face right up to the bottom of the ice. Numerous air bubbles and air pockets will permit you to take small breaths. Cracks in the ice have much larger air pockets, even small cracks. Plus you can wedge your hand into the cracks to keep yourself from sinking. The object is if you can't find your way back to where you broke through, as is the case in lakes or rivers with current, you at least make yourself visable to those looking for you.

I've been through several times always trying to get on early ice. The first time was the worst because I was not prepared. However when I went through, my arms must have automatically extended out from my sides which kept me from going completely under. My one piece snowmobil suit at first became a big float long enough for me to figure out where I was and roll back up on the ice. What made it diffecult was my suit began to get saturated, weighing me back down and causing me to panic. I was screaming for help as loud as I could while rolling onto the ice. And rolling and screaming and rolling. I finally layed spread eagle and calmed down. Never did see anyone and had a tough time getting back to the car. Luckily I was not far off shore.

Now when I go out on first ice, I tell my wife or neighbor where I'm going, where I plan to fish, and how long I'll be. Also leave a large note on the dash of the car with the same info. I wear a life jacket and ice picks. I use a long tow rope for my sled so it doesn't go through with me. In the sled I have two throwable cushions, one with 50 feet of thick yellow nylon rope that floats. I also keep my cell phone in the sled, not on me. When I've gone in I first pull the sled towards me to get the cushion without rope and then push the sled the tow rope length away. Then I use the picks to get out. You want that extra flotaion in case you keep breaking through ice with the picks while your jacket and pants or suit get saturated. The entire process sounds long but only takes seconds. Pushing the sled away gives someone else the chance to save you with the other cushion and rope in case you can't get back on the ice. Keeping the sled at rope length away allows you to pull it back toward you to call with your phone. Also, treating your snowsuit, pants, and jacket with water repelent spray each year slows the saturation time. I learned all this from a Paramedic in Minnesota that taught ice fishing safety classes. He had lost a brother ice fishing and had been through himself. Preparation and knowing exactly what your going to do makes the whole experience much less stressful.

It's been 9 years since I've been in but I was on a streak there for awhile. Of course the obvious is always try to take someone with you. But I can never seem to get another idiot to go out on 2 inches of clear ice with me.

KP