After I finished my chores, and contributing to the domestic tranquility, I headed down to Cromwell to scout the Wall. Only 2 people were fishing the far end, down toward Middletown, and they had meat sticks set out, marinating whatever they were soaking. The water there remains high, and quite turbid, but looked manageable. So I took a couple of casts to gauge the current. I had no trouble finding, and holding the bottom with a 1.5 oz drail. But I've never done well fishing in a coffee pot, so I bugged out to the Farm'y behind Bart's.

I arrived at Bart's a little before 2:pm, and a friend who normally targets trout and stripers joined me. He had come out once last year, and he hadn't hooked up then, but he was game to try again. On arrival, we found a half dozen reprobates (regulars) taking casting practice, and over the course of the afternoon, several more folx joined us. The water was about the same level as yesterday, clear, with a decent current, most were tossing 3/4 oz weights, and holding bottom was easy. However, the consensus was that this was not a good day, and shad were scarce. Fortunately, that was dispelled when a couple of shad were caught a little while later (3:15-ish?), and there were a few alewives in the mix for variety. My buddy hooked up, and lost his V-card when he landed a middling buck, a nice shad with good color. I FINALLY, got on the board when I hooked a middling buck with little fight in him. Until the water got skinny, and he didn't like the accommodations. After a few short, spirited runs, we netted my vitamin shad. I love the sound of my drag...

By 4:pm, the scattered run had died out, and it turned out to be a fair day after all. Not a lot of shad were caught, but enough to keep it interesting for about an hour or so. As my buddy and I were leaving, we saw another small shad caught, that was about 5:30 pm. Hunger was calling more than the shad, so we headed to our respective abodes for our suppers. I will be back again tomorrow, until then GL, and tight lines!

Tackle:
Rod: Ugly Stik 4'6" U/L Pro
Reel: a Penn 4200 SS, spooled with 15# Hi-Viz Yellow Power Pro

Terminal Tackle: 3/4 oz drail over a 3', 10# flouro leader. I have been throwing the rainbow at them, but today a hammered silver willow leaf in chartreuse and white with black lines and a dot sealed the deal.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"