I too have just read this thread >>head spinning<<

I have to agree on the proof component as far as the DEP is concerned in ever making a definitive statement.

Like many folks who went offroad in Nepaug State Forest, back in the early/mid 80's, me and my friend definitely saw a Mountain Lion on 2 occasions. No pictures though. We were redneckin' in the 4x4, pre digitial camera days.

I can see how the Caracal could be mistaken, however, if you have ever seen a real Moutain Lion, there is no comparison in body build or size (especially overall length nose-2-tip.of.tail on a mature adult). Additionally, the face of a Mountain Lion is wider, and there is typically a darkened to blackish tip to their much longer (proportionally) tail (as it is used as a major counter balance in both jumping and pursuing prey). The Caracal goes to 40#, where the Mountain Lion can go 200#+.

Granted, unless you are familiar with the species, you could be fooled, and I imagine the gross bulk of reports come from folks who are not outdoorsmen (women).

I have seen these creatures in multiple states (Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, etc..) when I used to hunt and travel hike/camp. They are beautiful and unmistakeable if you have ever seen them.

From a CT DEP perspective, even if they were to be confirmed in the state, I would keep it on the down low....don't want panic hunting to occur due to ignorance.

It has been good to see the Bobcat population rise, along with the Black Bears (granted, I could live without them in my garbage can). AS we continue to encroach on the undeveloped lands in CT, we will continue to see more "sightings" of various critters, maybe even eventually a documented Mountain Lion.