Quote:
One thing I beleive is in favor of the public, is the fact that Candlewood Lake, is owned by a government funded and sanctioned company. As long as that is the case, the CLA will never have governing autority up there. The lake will remain PUBLIC, as long as it is PUBLICALLY OWNED! Never will it be a private lake for home owners and residents.

Very true! but, the CLA has a very good working relationship with its area Legislators. As long as they continue to be heard politiclly, we must be watchful.

From the start, this has been about increased funding for the CLA. Many years back they were talking of the same issues as now. "Why should our residents have to carry the burden of enforcement?" The residents created the CLA and over the years, the CLA has done a lot of good work, but, it seems to be this growing monster that needs to be fed money. I believe the CLA has all good intentiions for the lake but they must also remember they can only be so large with limited power.

A lot of the tournament guys get really upset every time something like this comes up on Candlewood. Mostly, I think they feel as they are being singled out. I tend to agree with that sentiment. We all hear about the overcrowding of the lake but the basic fact remains that we can only have about 100 permitted boats through the two state ramps while the other 6000 vessels or so registered on the lake have free reign. Tournaments over a certain size can not start before 8 AM due to the CLA making noise with their area legislators a couple years ago. DEP gave in and went along with the idea of later starts for "organized" events. If I'm joe average fisherman who wants to hit the water at 5AM no problem. If I'm part of the local "ski club" and want to get out at 6AM, no problem but, the tournament guys will have restrictions placed on them. And you can gaurantee, their will be at least one and usually two radar guns pointing at the start of your event and or hiding behind an island waiting to catch those evil bass fishermen. Is this not profiling???

CLA has numbers that states Candlewood lake has the most fishing tournaments per year of ALL lake in New England. This should really come as no suprise due to it being the largest body of water in southern New England, located in one of the most highly populated locations in these United States. Yet, I have heard Mr Callahan speak about "being taken advantage of", implying that fishermen from around and within the area all are getting a free ride, courtesy of the CLA.

It would just be nice to see the DEP's budget increased an incredible amount and have the CT Department of Environmental Protection take over patrol issues on that lake. More patrols by DEP would free up cash for the CLA to do other, productive types of work on the lake.