ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1188276 - 03/01/10 05:44 PM Re: leash law? [Re: EnCon Police]
Bass Ackwards Offline

Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
We don't handle domestic animals...that means dogs, cats, guinea pigs, horses, cows, chickens, ferrets (unless you're hunting with them), llamas, alpacas, sheep, goats, etc.

There is a regulation regarding keeping a dog on a leash in state parks and forests. If you are ice fishing and the dogs are on the ice, unless you are immediately adjacent to a state park or forest our regulation would not apply. At that point (and anywhere off of DEP property) the overall state statute would apply. This law is enforced by state and local Animal Control Officers.

Sec. 22-364. Dogs roaming at large. Intentional or reckless subsequent violation. (a) No owner or keeper of any dog shall allow such dog to roam at large upon the land of another and not under control of the owner or keeper or the agent of the owner or keeper, nor allow such dog to roam at large on any portion of any public highway and not attended or under control of such owner or keeper or his agent, provided nothing in this subsection shall be construed to limit or prohibit the use of hunting dogs during the open hunting or training season. The unauthorized presence of any dog on the land of any person other than the owner or keeper of such dog or on any portion of a public highway when such dog is not attended by or under the control of such owner or keeper, shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of the provisions of this subsection. Violation of any provision of this subsection shall be an infraction.

(b) Any owner or keeper of any dog who, knowing of the vicious propensities of such dog and having violated the provisions of subsection (a) of this section within the preceding year, intentionally or recklessly violates the provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than six months, or both, if such dog, while roaming at large, causes physical injury to another person and such other person was not teasing, tormenting or abusing such dog.

(1949 Rev., S. 3412; 1953, S. 1850d; 1963, P.A. 613, S. 32; P.A. 76-381, S. 11; P.A. 77-63, S. 2; P.A. 96-243, S. 11, 16.)

History: 1963 act specified what constitutes prima facie evidence of violation and distinguished between penalties for first and subsequent offenses, imposing twenty-five-dollar minimum and one-hundred-dollar maximum fine for subsequent offenses, and making imprisonment an optional penalty only for subsequent offenses where previously applicable to first offenses as well; P.A. 76-381 made violation an infraction, deleting previous penalty provisions; P.A. 77-63 prohibited dogs from roaming on any portion of highway, deleting language which had limited applicability of prohibition to those portions of highway "not adjacent to the premises of the owner or keeper"; P.A. 96-243 added Subsec. (b) re subsequent intentional or reckless violations, effective June 6, 1996.

Now please show me just one law pertaing to cats. Sorry EnConn, It's just something that's lopsidingly wrong and has effected my life personally.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson

Fishing Info
#1188552 - 03/02/10 01:14 PM Re: leash law? [Re: Bass Ackwards]
EnCon Police Offline

This is the only law I'm aware of regarding domestic cats....we don't deal with them so I don't know if there are any other applicable laws:

Sec. 22-339d. Municipal control of feral cats. (a) A municipality may adopt an ordinance requiring the registration, within one year of the adoption of such ordinance, of keepers of feral cats in residential or commercial areas. Such ordinance shall require that any such keeper shall register with the animal control officer for such municipality who shall provide information to the registrant regarding the proper care and management of feral cats. For purposes of this section, "feral cat" means a free-roaming domestic cat which is not owned and "keeper" means any person or organization, harboring, regularly feeding or having in his or its possession any feral cat. Refusal to permit any animal control officer to impound a feral cat shall be deemed evidence of keeping. Such ordinance shall require that such keepers shall provide for the vaccination of such cats against rabies and the sterilization of such cats. Such keeper shall be considered an eligible owner for purposes of the animal population control program established under sections 22-380e to 22-380m, inclusive, provided such cats are adopted from a municipal pound.

(b) A municipality may adopt an ordinance providing that no person owning or keeping any cat shall permit such animal to (1) substantially damage property other than the property of the owner or keeper or (2) cause an unsanitary, dangerous or unreasonably offensive condition. Violation of such provision shall be an infraction.
#1188608 - 03/02/10 04:58 PM Re: leash law? [Re: Flowbase]
Keith G Offline

Loc: Suffield, CT
Quote:
As for cats, I have never heard of domestic cats hurting anyone. I have had cats all my life and I have never had any of them do any damage to cars, boats, or anything else like that. So what if there are some paw prints on the hood of your car and windshield. Dogs on the other hand are much more destructive.

I guess you have never had a cats jump and slide off your car with dirty feet or claws out? Or had one pee and or give birth to kittens in your carpeted boat floor over the winter? Use your child's sandbox as a littler box?

Unless it attacks, an unleashed dog is far less destructive as I have seen one do any of the above.

I might be incorrect but I am never wrong!!

GO CELTICS!!!!!
#1188616 - 03/02/10 05:34 PM Re: leash law? [Re: Keith G]
danny k Offline

The Good Life

Loc: Port Huron Michigan
Cats kill Turkeys Poult's and a host of other wildlife. Who say's cat's are not destructive. I own 3 fixed cats and they are inside only cats. I have no mice. Last year I finally had a rabbit frequenting my backyard and within a few days I saw one of the neighborhood cats eating something under a bench in my backyard. I opened my back door and started walking towards it and it took off with a rabbit in it's mouth.

St. Clair River. Port Huron, MI.
#1 Prolific Fishery in North America Bar None!
#1188712 - 03/02/10 09:47 PM Re: leash law? [Re: danny k]
Flowbase Offline

Loc: newington
Dogs do everything you said just worse. Just because the dog isn't attacking doesn't mean it can't hurt someone. Like I said before dogs can jump on you to play and you can break bones. Dogs pee and poop all over the place. Cats at least have the decency to cover their bombs. How many times have you stepped in dog $hit, too many to remember. Dogs also kill wildlife not to mention pets (other dogs and cats). I have seen dogs ruin lawns digging. Also my boss has the hood of his truck scratched up from a dog jumping on it. Cats might kill birds, mice, snakes, moles, squirrels, and other small animals, most people would call these creatures pests(other than the birds). Overall dogs are much more destructive than cats.

A river unfished, is like a life unlived.

J--E--T--S JETS JETS JETS
#1188729 - 03/02/10 10:13 PM Re: leash law? [Re: Flowbase]
Jeremiah G Offline

Adventure Kayak Fishing Dude

Loc: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Cats ? Cats ? You kidding me ? Cats ? Don't talk about cats...

Edited by Jeremiah G (03/02/10 10:15 PM)

WWJD ?

#1188732 - 03/02/10 10:17 PM Re: leash law? [Re: Flowbase]
Bass Ackwards Offline

Originally Posted By: Flowbase
Dogs do everything you said just worse. Just because the dog isn't attacking doesn't mean it can't hurt someone. Like I said before dogs can jump on you to play and you can break bones. Dogs pee and poop all over the place. Cats at least have the decency to cover their bombs. How many times have you stepped in dog $hit, too many to remember. Dogs also kill wildlife not to mention pets (other dogs and cats). I have seen dogs ruin lawns digging. Also my boss has the hood of his truck scratched up from a dog jumping on it. Cats might kill birds, mice, snakes, moles, squirrels, and other small animals, most people would call these creatures pests(other than the birds). Overall dogs are much more destructive than cats.

Dogs and cats both scratch cars, pee and poop all over the place, kill wildlife, and are destructive, yet the only laws on the books are for dogs. Today I uncovered my boat that's for sale to show to mattmann7 and it stunk of cat, my neighbors cat or one of the ferral cats she feeds. No laws against it, perfectly legal, totally wrong.

I don't hate cats, I own one. I also don't allow her to roam free and scratch other peoples property, or do any other damage to someones personal property. It doesn't matter wether the damage done is major or minor, wrong is wrong, period.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson

#1188736 - 03/02/10 10:22 PM Re: leash law? [Re: EnCon Police]
Bass Ackwards Offline

Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
This is the only law I'm aware of regarding domestic cats....we don't deal with them so I don't know if there are any other applicable laws:

Sec. 22-339d. Municipal control of feral cats. (a) A municipality may adopt an ordinance requiring the registration, within one year of the adoption of such ordinance, of keepers of feral cats in residential or commercial areas. Such ordinance shall require that any such keeper shall register with the animal control officer for such municipality who shall provide information to the registrant regarding the proper care and management of feral cats. For purposes of this section, "feral cat" means a free-roaming domestic cat which is not owned and "keeper" means any person or organization, harboring, regularly feeding or having in his or its possession any feral cat. Refusal to permit any animal control officer to impound a feral cat shall be deemed evidence of keeping. Such ordinance shall require that such keepers shall provide for the vaccination of such cats against rabies and the sterilization of such cats. Such keeper shall be considered an eligible owner for purposes of the animal population control program established under sections 22-380e to 22-380m, inclusive, provided such cats are adopted from a municipal pound.

(b) A municipality may adopt an ordinance providing that no person owning or keeping any cat shall permit such animal to (1) substantially damage property other than the property of the owner or keeper or (2) cause an unsanitary, dangerous or unreasonably offensive condition. Violation of such provision shall be an infraction.

EXACTLY. A municipality may. Try and find one that does.

Edited by Bass Ackwards (03/02/10 10:23 PM)

#1188833 - 03/03/10 03:22 AM Re: leash law? [Re: Bass Ackwards]
Keith G Offline

Loc: Suffield, CT
How many stray dogs do you see vs stray cats? How many people have yard bound dogs and free roaming cats? Cats are almost always unleashed. Lets be honest, how often do you think a stray dog will jump on the hood of your car? Poop in your yard? You are stretching it when you start getting into broken bones from jumping up as it doesn't take a stray or unleashed dog to do that. Like i said, go try and wash cat pee out of you boat carpet or deoderize under your porch because they like to do their business in the soft dirt. I'd trade a poop scoop or two gladly.

I might be incorrect but I am never wrong!!

GO CELTICS!!!!!
#1188952 - 03/03/10 02:12 PM Re: leash law? [Re: Keith G]
SWMPYNKE Offline

Cats catch and kill an enormous amount of wildlife. I haven't seen too many stray dogs killing off rabbits and usually roaming dogs are reported and dealt with pretty quickly. Motorists who strike a dog are required by law to report it, nothing said about cats, so start driving up and down your driveway. Who placed those open cans of tuna out there??
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics