ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1610850 - 12/15/14 12:21 PM Re: Huge Seeforellen Browns Coming Soon! [Re: Tall 1]
Tall 1 Offline

These are natives... rolleyes

I agree that the state record anything should not be pen, tank or farm raised, but this is CT.
There are places where a fish could grow, (Or already exists), to this caliber, CWood,Squantz, Twin, Saugatuck, Salltonstall, Colebrook...however, most likely one of these breeders will become the next state record.
Fishing Info
#1610860 - 12/15/14 12:56 PM Re: Huge Seeforellen Browns Coming Soon! [Re: Tall 1]
Buck Offline

As far as a non-breeder state record brown my first choice to fish for one would be Wono (lakeville). I have heard of too many reports of monster browns following someone's spinner bait. Since herring are banned, I would drift large silver fallfish caught from some of our smaller brooks.
Second place, only because you can't put a boat on it, is the Saugatuck Reservoir. I have been on two electro-shocking trips there for walleye and the size of some of the fish that come up are scary.
Third place would be an outlier like Lilli where browns come in from stocked brooks. The dam area is a 100' deep and there is now a bubble system down there to improve water quality from what I have been told. Maybe Zoar too. Lake Housatonic gave up a ten pound brown to an electro-shocking trip I was on and it was perfectly marked indicating it either had never seen a hatchery or was stocked long ago in a feeder brook like the 8 mile river as a small fish.
Fourth would be Saltonstall. Bob O. and I graphed huge fish down 80 feet in a 100 feet of water but never could get anything to bite.
Water quality is too poor for Candlewood, Squantz gets over fished, so next on my list is the other glacial lakes that hold over trout and have land-locked alewife herring. These would be East Twin, Ball Pond, maybe Highland and a few lakes in the Eastern District.
JMHO, I am sure there are other hot spots I missed.
#1610865 - 12/15/14 01:04 PM Re: Huge Seeforellen Browns Coming Soon! [Re: EGGNOG]
onthewater102 Offline

Loc: Kent, CT
Originally Posted By: Wifetaker
... I have never really been a fan of the put and take trout/salmon program. Just my .02

^^^ agree with you 100% - I think the state should spend its money on establishing and managing self-sustaining fisheries, not offsetting people's grocery bills in exchange for fishing license fees.

As far as the record fish issue, the standing record brown is 18lbs 5oz from 2011 out of the Saugatuck Reservoir - what are the chances that it wasn't a breeder released at some point a few years back - pretty unlikely in my guestimation. It's not like it's been a standing record since the 50's or anything - so my guess is the record is already tainted by breeder stocking.

It would have been nice if the state tagged these fish and disqualified the record from falling to any stocked breeders, but if it wasn't done when they started throwing breeders in it's not going to matter now.
#1610896 - 12/15/14 03:30 PM Re: Huge Seeforellen Browns Coming Soon! [Re: Tall 1]
striperboy Offline

Loc: Litchfield and Westbrook
Dont even waste your time on these things, I got 3 on my lunch break, they all fight like boots, the only decent one that I actually enjoyed catching was a female which inhaled my bait, to the point where it broke off as I beached it because it was in the back of its throat... but the males are useless..

We do not inherit the earth from our fathers, we borrow it from the unborn

sit long, talk much, laugh often

He who throws dirt looses ground

Christian Genarelli
#1610897 - 12/15/14 03:38 PM Re: Huge Seeforellen Browns Coming Soon! [Re: Tall 1]
Fuzzytrout Offline

Loc: Cape Cod!
NEW STATE RECORD! smile1

what did you expect from something that was raised in a tank?

now that ones that spend some time in the saugy...those guys fight like demons!

"Don't kill them for ego, don't kill them because they're legal, and don't kill them for someone else." - Doc Muller

www.davidriina.com

#1610899 - 12/15/14 03:45 PM Re: Huge Seeforellen Browns Coming Soon! [Re: Fuzzytrout]
striperboy Offline

Loc: Litchfield and Westbrook
Originally Posted By: Fuzzytrout
NEW STATE RECORD! smile1

what did you expect from something that was raised in a tank?

now that ones that spend some time in the saugy...those guys fight like demons!

oh I knew it wouldnt be as fun as browns from NY or even holdovers from the lake that these are from, just something to do.. as I'm typing this, theres a kid with his dad, kid snags one that is sitting near shore.. plops it on concrete at launch... takes pictures, and procedes to rope it... facepalm

We do not inherit the earth from our fathers, we borrow it from the unborn

sit long, talk much, laugh often

He who throws dirt looses ground

Christian Genarelli
#1610909 - 12/15/14 04:55 PM Re: Huge Seeforellen Browns Coming Soon! [Re: Tall 1]
Murph Offline

Loc: CT. Got a problem with that?
if it fights like a boot, probably tastes like one too.

If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one.

#1610957 - 12/16/14 04:57 AM Re: Huge Seeforellen Browns Coming Soon! [Re: Tall 1]
seeforellen Offline

give them time,i caught a 14lber a few years ago in june,it had been in the lake for 6 months and fought like hell.anyone seen a list of lakes they were put in yet?
#1610960 - 12/16/14 07:32 AM Re: Huge Seeforellen Browns Coming Soon! [Re: Tall 1]
O-BASS Offline

i ceetianly wish they'd stock some damn nine pound largemouths!!!!
#1610966 - 12/16/14 08:49 AM Re: Huge Seeforellen Browns Coming Soon! [Re: O-BASS]
EGGNOG Offline
Maine someday

Loc: Watertown
Originally Posted By: O-BASS
i ceetianly wish they'd stock some damn nine pound la
rgemouths!!!!
I knew that would get your attention.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Active Topics