ctfisherman.com logo
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1721070 - 07/25/17 07:35 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Daddy Pickle]
Louie-Louie Offline

Loc: Union, Conn.-Westerly RI
Those of us over 65 finally get a free license but have to buy everything else for hunting and fishing. These people are ridiculous.
Fishing Info
#1721094 - 07/25/17 10:13 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Tiburon Offline

Loc: Eastern Ct.
Been fishing R.I. for trout for years where a trout stamp is required. I don't know too much about their money management, as to where they distribute funds, (into the general fund or to support trout stocking). They do have a decent stocking program for trout. Trout stamp is $5 and it is required if you want to have trout in your possession. It is my understanding that anyone can fish for trout in the stocked waters but can not keep any without the stamp. Over the years I have been very impressed with the quality of trout that they have produced. Surprised CT. hasn't tried this before now. If this new revenue is used for the general fund we as sportsman will be short changed once again.
#1721095 - 07/25/17 10:16 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Buck Offline

I sent a comment to Bill Foreman via email. Said the item that has the most state-wide impact is the trout/salmon stamp issue.

--Salmon stamp will not go over well. The Fed's gave up on Ct. Atlantic Salmon, the state gave up too, very few returning wild salmon to milk for eggs, so why buy a stamp for a shot at a hatchery fish stocked in a few spots.

--Trout stamp would be ok if the state was going to increase stocking by going from 600k stocked trout to 800k stocked trout by adding 200k extra two year old trout to the stocking program. But you are going in reverse since 2018 is going to see only 300k trout stocked in fewer waters, in fewer numbers but we pay an extra five bucks, that will go into the General Fund and not to the hatcheries, to have a less satisfying experience? I don't think so. Fishermen will turn to the salt or go out of state and fish for trout.
#1721141 - 07/26/17 10:16 AM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
jimmy Offline

To many people in this state think about themselves and not about the future of the sport. This includes not just some fisherman but also the DEP/DEEP fisheries staff. The DEP is always trying to throw extra charges out there to justify their own jobs when the state has to cut the budget. Dont let any of their fake statistics fool you, there is an agenda at the end and they have been doing this since proposing the CT saltwater license back around 05' (before federal license).

People just dont fish or start fishing when they have to do pay these fees to get out. I cant tell people how many times ive had to pay for licenses for people just to try to get them out and sadly enough, most people just wont go. Its mind boggling to think of what the long term effect of people not fishing will do to the economy. I already go fishing in the same places I did as a kid and its just a fraction of the number of people who are out compared to 30 years ago.

The over inflated size of the state staff is just too much. These are well paid state employees with huge amounts of benefits. Look them up on ctsunglight.org, i can provide names if need be, many make over 80-120k for doing nothing that directly helps fisherman or the sport. We cant fund jobs programs like DEP fisheries as fisherman, all they really need to do is stock trout and there is more than enough money for this. Its more important that people can afford licenses and get out and start to fish
#1721158 - 07/26/17 01:22 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Falcon Offline

Loc: plymouth, ct
I went to this website https://eregulations.ct.gov/eRegsPortal/ and you can comment on this new stamp. You have to go into the open comment section. It's a little tricky but you'll get there. Everyone is either flat out opposed or delusional as they don't mind a stamp if the money will go back into the trout program which I don't believe for a minute. Our fees are grabbed and used by whoever is in power and our new fees just make up for the stealing.
#1721166 - 07/26/17 02:36 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Steely Dan Offline

I’m going to go to the meeting in Hartford and write a written response. First it’s not enforceable. Do they mean you need a trout stamp just to fish in waters that have trout stocked just in case you hook one. Or do you need one only if you plan to keep one. Otherwise you could say you were catch and releasing all trout and salmon while you were trolling for pickerel, perch or walleye, etc.

What about the catch and release sections of the Farmington, etc.? There are other fish in there too. I’ve caught some nice smallmouth in there. Would you need a stamp there – you can’t keep any anyway.

Let us not forget that the state record Brown was caught by a guy fishing for bass at East Twin. What if a bass tournament guy catches a trout – and even if he doesn’t keep it – does he need the stamp?
#1721275 - 07/27/17 12:28 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Buck Offline

Steely, those are all good points to ask at the meeting.
Candlewood Lake is a classic example, 10,000 trout stocked a year with 175 scheduled bass tournaments. So do the bass guys need a trout stamp? Then there are the small class 1 wild trout streams where fishing is almost all trout related, so does anyone who fishes these need a trout stamp? Where do you draw the line between waters that are "must have trout stamp" to waters that are "must have trout stamp to keep a trout in possession"?
#1721279 - 07/27/17 12:59 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Buck]
DeadBird Offline

Loc: Old Saybrook
Here's the regulation:
Quote:
(NEW) Sec. 26-48a-4. Trout and salmon stamps.
(a) Trout stamp
(1) No person required to obtain a license to sport fish under the provisions of section 26-27 of the
Connecticut General Statutes shall fish in any Trout Management Area, as provided in section 26-
112-46(c) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, any Wild Trout Management Area, as
provided in section 26-112-46(g) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, or any Trout
Park, as provided in section 26-112-46(i) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, without
first obtaining a trout stamp.
(2) Except as provided in subdivision (3) of this subsection, no person required to obtain a license
to sport fish under the provisions of sections 26-27 or 26-28b of the Connecticut General Statutes,
shall possess on the waters of the inland district or the marine district, or on the shores of such waters,
trout or kokanee without first obtaining a trout stamp.
(3) No trout stamp shall be required for any person possessing trout in the waters or on the shores
of any stream or pond the waters of which have been stocked with trout at no expense to the state.
(b) Salmon stamp.
(1) During the period from September first through March thirty first, inclusive, no person
required to obtain a license to sport fish under the provisions of section 26-27 of the Connecticut
General Statutes shall fish in any Atlantic Salmon Broodstock Area, as provided in section 26-112-
46(h) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, without first obtaining a salmon stamp.
(2) No person required to obtain a license to sport fish under the provisions of sections 26-27 or
26-28b of the Connecticut General Statutes, shall possess on the waters of the inland district or the
marine district, or on the shores of such waters, Atlantic salmon without first obtaining a salmon
stamp.
(c) Fees. Trout stamps and salmon stamps shall be issued for a calendar year, and shall expire
December thirty-first next following the date of issue and shall not be transferable. The fees for trout
and salmon stamps, or the combination thereof shall be as follows; (1) trout stamp, five dollars; (2)
salmon stamp, ten dollars; (3) combination trout and salmon stamp, twelve dollars.

Followed by this gem:

Quote:
June fifteenth through September fifteenth, inclusive.
(l) Trophy Carp Waters. The maximum length for common carp shall be twenty-six inches and
the daily creel limit for common carp shall be one in: Batterson Park Pond (Farmington, New
Britain), the Connecticut River, its coves, and those portions of its tributaries open to fishing
throughout the year, as provided in section 26-112-44(a)(1) of the Regulations of Connecticut State
Agencies, Squantz Pond (New Fairfield), and West Thompson Reservoir (Thompson). The
commissioner may grant an exemption from maximum length and daily creel limit requirements of
this subsection to any person issued a permit under section 26-112-42 to conduct a fishing
tournament or derby in any Trophy Carp Water provided that all fish caught shall be released, without
avoidable injury, to the waters where taken.

Next up, a carp stamp. wtf Obviously no more bowhunting craps smile in the CT River in summer.

Edited by DeadBird (07/27/17 01:00 PM)
#1721310 - 07/27/17 06:52 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
JohnS Offline

Life Time Member

Loc: Wallingford/Florida
A stamp for less trout brilliant!

New House 5/18
#1721352 - 07/28/17 09:11 AM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Falcon Offline

Loc: plymouth, ct
Well I hope when all this gets started that the CO's don't start looking for the Salmon stamp when you're fishing for Kokanee or posses them. From how I read it above the trout stamp covers the trout and kokanee while the salmon stamp will cover the brood stock Atlantics. Not too confusing is it? All bullchit. I thought the Atlantics were spend breeders that weren't producing anymore and rather than throwing them in the garbage they stocked them. Now we are to pay for something that would of gotten thrown out. Am I wrong on this? If so can some one explain the brood stock better because that's the way I always thought it worked.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics