ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1812263 - 04/15/21 08:18 PM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
O-BASS Offline

Hey thanks for the info guys. I have a funeral this Saturday but if I'm feeling better by Sunday and Monday after getting my coronavirus shot I'll let you guys know if I'm going to be down there. I'm not going to let it pass me by this year, tand I got to make a couple of trips down there.
Fishing Info
#1812273 - 04/16/21 05:02 AM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: O-BASS]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Loc: Tolland CT
Originally Posted By: O-BASS
Hey thanks for the info guys. I have a funeral this Saturday but if I'm feeling better by Sunday and Monday after getting my coronavirus shot I'll let you guys know if I'm going to be down there. I'm not going to let it pass me by this year, tand I got to make a couple of trips down there.

Post here when you will go. AM shad start hitting at sunrise, they strike on sight only, good by 7AM when there will be at least a dozen veteran shad fishermen who can advise you. The Wall is long, plenty of room to find a spot, watch and learn. Planning first shad trolling launch Sunday at sunrise Ferry Park, Rocky Hill and plan to troll downriver toward The Wall.
#1812312 - 04/16/21 12:26 PM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Will be at The Wall tomorrow 6AM.
#1812451 - 04/19/21 06:24 AM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Late report, it's been a busy weekend...

Saturday, 17 April, 8:30-11:45 am, up back of Bart's. The water was up at least 5' after the rain, water temp fell to ~43ºF, but was running fairly clear and with a good current, not too much flotsam. Four regulars were plying the bank on arrival, one had lost one, but caught two, including a nice roe about 8:am. All of which he released. One small buck was caught mid-morning before I left, but that was it, not so much as an alewife.

Sat., 17 April, 2:30-5:pm. After taking a break for my back, and to wrench on the Jeep, I went back to Bart's hoping to change my luck. Conditions remained about the same as the morning, as did the fishing. I saw one lone alewife caught. Rumor had it they had caught one or two, and lost a couple in my absence. No Fish Today, c'est la guerre. Still it was nice to be out, and running around in the Jeep again.

Terminal tackle: 1 oz. drail over 1.5'-2.5', 8# flouro leader, and hammered silver leaves in bright green w/red dot, dark/pale blue w/white dot, yellow w/red dot, and orange w/black dot.

I'm planning on heading out after work every day this week. And may try the Wall if the 411 indicates the water, which was coffee colored on Saturday and Sunday, has cleared.

In the meantime, whatever might be your piscine quarry, tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"
#1812502 - 04/19/21 07:58 PM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

19.April: Arrived at E. Barbor St. ~4:30 pm. Overcast with a brief shower, which ended as I parked. Water was up between the middle and bottom cleats beside the ramp. Water temp ~52º F, fairly clear, with a fair current, and lots of floatsam. Three regulars were taking casting practice, no reports of shad. About 5:pm, one of the guys hooked and landed a small buck. And that was it, not so much as a nibble, not even an alewife. About 5:15 pm the breeze started picking up a little, coming up from Hartford. Not too hard, but it was chilly. About 5:30 pm it started raining lightly. I packed it in about 5:50 when it started to pick up. No Fish Today.

Terminal tackle: 1 oz drail over 3+' of 8# flouro, and hammered willows: silver in blue/yellow w/black dot, yellow w/red dot, and a hammered copper in orange w/black dot.

Maybe tomorrow after work I'll head down to the Wall in Cromwell. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1812599 - 04/21/21 06:32 AM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Yesterday, 20.April: After work, I headed to the Wall in Cromwell, and arrived ~4:30 pm to over a dozen people fishing its length. The river was flowing strong, even against a stiff breeze running up from Middletown. The water was fairly clear, temp. was 51º F, and there was some flotsam in the current. I noticed a few shad on the bank, and one being netted as I set up. Promising.

On my first cast, as I started the retrieve, I got a hit. After four quick head shakes, it was *gone*. No matter, I saw others fighting and landing shad. Most looked like bucks, but there were a few fat girls in the mix. I had a couple more short strikes, with a couple of head shakes, but no solid hook sets until after 5:pm, when I got hit hard. I was happy I brought my med-heavy tackle for the fight it gave in the current. Eventually it came in to the wall, and we saw a nice fat, football of a shad. Just as the net was scooping under, it dropped the leaf, flipped and slipped into the deep. So. D*mned. Close. Radio would have called it a catch. C'est la guerre. I left about 6:30 pm after another bump and run, or two, since nobody was catching over the last half hour. I didn't keep count, but I saw a lot of shad caught, and many released. Things are looking up in Cromwell. Rumor has it, it is still slow in Rocky Hill and Windsor.

If it doesn't rain when I get out of work today, I will head down to the Wall again. Tight lines!

Tackle: 6' one-piece Ugly Stik Elite mated to a Penn 4400SS spooled with 15# Power Pro. Terminal tackle: 1.5 oz drail over 4' flouro leader. Leaves: hammered silver in green w/black dot, orange w/red dot, and light blue/dark blue w/white dot. The last leaf, hammered silver w/two-tone blue w/white dot got all the attention.

And finally, a tip of the CTF hat to Cat Daddy, who introduced himself while we were taking casting practice after things settled down and the bite stopped. :wavey:

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1812613 - 04/21/21 09:07 AM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
O-BASS Offline

Cat Daddy doesn't come on here too often but he's a good dude. I've met him a couple of times at the Swap Meet that I host Every Spring and he's a gentleman. Wish him well for me
#1812629 - 04/21/21 11:32 AM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
DUSKY17' Offline

Loc: Stafford
Radio is a character. Met him a few times at the bissell and the guy who wears the fish hat and sells willow leafs.and weights. Might try the bissell saturday after fishing the farmington. Also need to stock up on fiddleheads.
#1812642 - 04/21/21 01:14 PM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

The long island off the mouth of the Farmington is loaded with fiddleheads. A boat is required for access. See boats moored gathering fiddleheads when shad trolling the Farmington. Got 4 bucks at sunrise this morning at The Wall.
#1812668 - 04/21/21 05:42 PM Re: SHAD! 2021 [Re: No Fish Today]
earl bird Offline

Loc: Terryville
Does anyone here sell fresh fiddleheads?
They really don't turn me on, but my wife loves them.
PM me if you have any available.

Fishing: the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting, or swearing.
Henry Beard and Roy McKie
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics