ctfisherman.com logo
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1841276 - 05/26/23 08:19 PM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Thanks Don D for the encouragement. I'm glad you like the content, and follow the thread. MikeV, you're absolutely correct. I've never caught anything from the couch or the keyboard--except, maybe, a buzz... beerchug

Codking, the action was better just a couple of weeks ago. It hasn't ceased, but it sure has slowed down. Congrats on your success by Bart's!

26.May: Arrived after work a little after 4:pm to find 4-5 folx scattered along the Wall drowning worms, or soaking chunks, but no shadaholics. The water was way down, I'd have to lay prone with my long-handled (118") landing net to reach it if I had needed it. I didn't. :shrug: There was a lot of cotton on the water when I arrived, and I was thinking it would be a short trip. I hate picking cotton off the line, and out of the tackle. It actually didn't stick too bad--surprise, surprise. By the time I left after 6:pm, the cotton had all but disappeared, and I had been joined by 2 shadaholics.

Other than a few short hits, I got nuthin'. There was almost no action on the Wall. The 2 worm-drowners to my left each caught a schoolie or a white perch, and one to my right C&R a 19" schoolie. I did see one shad almost caught down on the far end of the Wall. They definitely needed a much longer landing net; even lying prone, and trying to climb down the wall without falling in, the guy couldn't reach the water, and the shad dropped the hook at the wall. At least the shad are still around, even if the numbers are few. I'll stop by the Wall again tomorrow and Sunday for a while. If the shad aren't cooperating, maybe I'll stop down at Ferry Park, and watch the Googans' boat launching/landing shenanigans. Good times...

Have a great weekend, and remember what the holiday really is about (it ain't picnics, Beers & BBQ, boating, fishing, or any of that other nonsense). Stay safe, and tight lines!

Edited by No Fish Today (05/31/23 06:27 PM)

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"
Fishing Info
#1841289 - 05/27/23 12:22 PM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
Don D Offline

Loc: Bristol, CT
Man when I had my boat and the cotton showed up heavy I stayed off the river till it was gone. A real pain.

If there are fish to catch. I'll be there to my end.
#1841392 - 05/31/23 06:33 PM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Well, the season is over. On my last 3 outings I only saw 2 shad caught. One each on the 27th and 28th. Today, 31 May, nada. For now, I've put the shad tackle away until next year, it's time to target other species. Thanks for following this year's thread.

Whatever you're chasing over the summer, and throughout the rest of the year, tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1841400 - 06/01/23 05:52 AM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
earl bird Offline

Loc: Terryville
As a former shad fisherman I enjoy your posts each spring.

Fishing: the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting, or swearing.
Henry Beard and Roy McKie
#1841410 - 06/01/23 10:41 AM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
MikeV Offline

Loc: Tolland
No Fish Today,

Great shad season and thanks for all your posts. I am a a fairweather shad fisherman meaning I only chase them when they are in thick. This season they seemed to sneak up river in small to medium numbers. I fished them once early at the wall in Cromwell and got nothing. I did see one small buck come up that day.

It is very enjoyable to read about your trips because you cover all the bases. You appreciate just getting out there. You have a game plan and a plan B. You are tenacious in that you will try until you are thoroughly convinced that additional time/effort on that particular day is very unlikely to be fruitful. You do catch fish.

The reports are enjoyable, informative, and helpful. The stripers follow the shad so knowing shad timing helps with that. Not sure what you will chase next; but whatever it is; I am certain you will do it well and enjoy it.

Hope to see you out there soon.

MikeV
#1841420 - 06/01/23 06:57 PM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Earl bird, and MikeV, thanks for the kind words. I'm happy to share some relevant content that others might be able to use to their advantage. If I encourage only one person to give it a try, whether it's shad, or stripers, then I've contributed to this community. Over the years I've had the pleasure and privilege to meet some of the members of this community. It's always a pleasure.

Tight lines, all!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics