ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#675098 - 06/27/06 05:20 PM Re: Tournament Fishing in CT: Act now or sit home and only watch them on TV
Dusty Offline

GAMETIME!!!

Loc: Ellington
Yea...its a no win situation if you look at it through their perspective....you give touney guys a permit for 50 boats at a POPULAR launch on a Sat, say that launch has 75 spots...there are unquestionably going to be people without places to park...thus they complain...NOT WHAT DEP OR BOATING WANTS.

You give a permit for 30 spots for the tourney...the tourney guys get upset and complain about the ## of boats they can have at their events...also NOT WHAT DEP OR BOATING WANTS

That is why they try and maintian the 50% rule as far as the number of spots that can be taken up for a tournament...it is a fair balance. I have spoken the the folks at DEP at lenght about this very issue and it is very touchy...but overally they are on our side( the tourney guys), but they also have to protect their own A$$es but puting some stricter regs on us.

Personally, I think you have a valid point about the restrictions, but you have to consider that Connecticut has SO MANY people and SO FEW lakes of any size that it creates issues when trying to have 75 boat tourneys and have space for the public...lets face it, were not fishing on Champlain here, space is limited.

I think the biggest thing we can do is like GetR'Done says "We have to police ourselves, make sure we are parking where we are suppose to, etc.." By doing what we are supposed to and following the guidlines we will leave them no choice but to allow us to continue as we have in the past.

Team Daiwaimano
Team too many broken rods to count
Team bluefish lawn ornament
Team "oh shiit we are out of gas"

Cell: 607 206 0324
Fishing Info
#675099 - 06/27/06 07:25 PM Re: Tournament Fishing in CT: Act now or sit home and only watch them on TV
Jon Pski Offline

Loc: Winsted, CT
By Dusty
 Quote:
By doing what we are supposed to and following the guidlines we will leave them no choice but to allow us to continue as we have in the past.
I don't know if that statement is neccasarily true. These folks in Hartford usually take the path of least resistence, meaning they bend to those that make the most noise. And you can't leave the politics out of their decisions either. If the local Representatives are getting complaints about tournament anglers using up the parking, you can bet that DEP HAS to do something about it.

What really steams me is when a group of ski boats get together for the day, they don't need any type of permit yet a couple of buddies get together in three boats and want to bring a big fish back to the ramp to compare the days catch, this is considered a tournament or "organized event" Aren't the ski boats doing the exact same thing?
Or how about the group of buddies who trailer up 6 or 8 jet skies to go riding together for the day. Isn't that an organized event? Yet they don't need a permit, but, the five boat tournament has to jump through hoops to go fish. \:o
#675100 - 06/27/06 08:13 PM Re: Tournament Fishing in CT: Act now or sit home and only watch them on TV
Mitch P. Offline

Right on the money Pski!

Speaking of money. It’s us anglers who contribute a hell of a lot of money via our fishing habit. We need to let legislators and others know.

I think there is a stat in the latest BASS Times about how much CT anglers spend. I’ll have to scan it and put it up.

Note: I edited this topic title to reflect where the discussion is now going.
#675101 - 06/27/06 08:33 PM Re: Tournament Fishing in CT: Act now or sit home and only watch them on TV
Chris Offline

Loc: Meriden
One thing I can think of that we can do is to Police ourselves in regard to parking. I wanted to do a Bashan tourney but was told we could only have 5 boats due to lack of parking. I thought about this and the way I see it and I'm speaking in terms of smaller CTF events and maybe club tourneys also. Being we are all coming and going at the same time I see no reason why we couldn't double up parking by putting one truck in front of the other or if tight parking space placing two trucks sideways in front of three other trucks. I figure parking like that will allow room for 8/9 boats instead of 5 while taking up the same amount of parking space.
I think everyone wins that way more boats for us while still plenty of room for the public.
If anything I think we need to govern ourselves and be consicous of what's going on around us to
make a better public image of Bass tourneys
#675102 - 06/27/06 08:43 PM Re: Tournament Fishing in CT: Act now or sit home and only watch them on TV
PDona Offline

P.Donna at one time

Loc: Southern Ct
I can't believe the can't make more parking at HADDAM MEADOWS launch!! Those fields are HUGE!!

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Hug your mom more ! !

Paul Dona

A "not neat" knot is a knot not needed

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

#675103 - 06/27/06 10:10 PM Re: Tournament Fishing in CT: Act now or sit home and only watch them on TV
Booty Offline

Chris, Mitch, Dusty

Its hard to explain but I agree with each of you. Mitch we definatly have to stick up for our rights as fishermen. We pay for that privledge.

Dusty and Chris, I also see your point about being careful of how we handle tournaments. There is some room for improvement.

But my overall feeling is that EVERYONE needs to improve on how they use the water. Too many times while fishing, there have been jet-skis buzzing, and pleasure boats that cut us off. We are not the only ones at fault.

The negative responce is from the people that complain. Do we have to report more issues?? I for one would hate to, but if we are going to be put to issue, than maybe its time we did something about what happens to us.

I don't think the DEP, Boating, or othewise is against us, I just think we don't complain enough. This could be our own fault because we don't want to draw attention to us.

MAYBE ITS TIME WE DID

Jim

Catch and release, then catch again, and again, and again......
#675104 - 06/27/06 10:49 PM Re: Tournament Fishing in CT: Act now or sit home and only watch them on TV
arlow Offline

Loc: Wilbraham Ma
I dont know if CT allows you to do this or not. We have a couple lakes our club likes to fish but they have insufficient parking for 18 boats. What we do is find close by alternate parking and shuttle back and forth. It may be a school parking lot or a town lot. Anything not being used during the tourney will suffice.

Slam it home and cross their eyes
#675105 - 06/27/06 11:03 PM Re: Tournament Fishing in CT: Act now or sit home and only watch them on TV
Dusty Offline

GAMETIME!!!

Loc: Ellington
I don't want anyone think that I am ok with the DEP limiting tourney permits, changing rules so that we cant have the alotted 50% of the parking, etc...cause I don't want to see it as much as any of you.

Pski...the whole permit for 3 guys going out and fishing and comparing a catch..REDICULOUS, I agree completely. BUT< 4 boats full of wakeboarders can go buzz around a slalom course for 8 hours without any such permit!!!!!!!

Quote:
These folks in Hartford usually take the path of least resistence, meaning they bend to those that make the most noise.
But I can't completely agree with this statement, every decision is made by considering all options and people involved...just look at the thread on this site about changing summer regulations on some trout lakes...and the bass management has had MANY complaints, but they are doing what they feel is best for the lakes.

This may be tough for many of us to handle, but tournament fishermen in CT DO NOT have a good reputation with the public...there have been too many cases of parking issues, dead fish floating at the launch...and here is one that many of us don't think of...POWER LOADING!!!!!!!! WAY TOO MANY launches are nearly ruined in CT because of the big bass boats power loading onto their trailers!!! Yea, not all of the damage is done by tourney guys, but it is a significant chunk!

I think writing the representative may be worth while, but I think(and this is an informed opinion from talking to MANY at DEP)that behavioral changes are NECESSARY to ensure that continued strick regulations can be avoided!!!

It is up to everyone what they choose to do, to each his own...but I have made it a goal of mine to ensure that every tournament I run and attend will abide by the set regulations to ensure that tourney can continue to occur in CT!!!

Team Daiwaimano
Team too many broken rods to count
Team bluefish lawn ornament
Team "oh shiit we are out of gas"

Cell: 607 206 0324
#675106 - 06/28/06 01:34 AM Re: Tournament Fishing in CT: Act now or sit home and only watch them on TV
Chris Offline

Loc: Meriden
 Quote:
POWER LOADING!!!!!!!! WAY TOO MANY launches are nearly ruined in CT because of the big bass boats power loading onto their trailers!!!
I think I have to disagree with that in some way. Look at all the smaller lakes where power loading isn't an option. The state does crap about improving our launches. If it wasn't for guy's power loading half our ramps would be silted in to the point you can hardly launch a boat. Just to name a few Bashan Quonipaug, N Farms, Rogers, Danbury town park Latins cove all of them have what equals a joke in terms of suitable launch sites. I think fisherman contribute more dollars to the state general fund then all pleasure boaters/Jet skiers combined but we get the least in return.
for our money. Booty I think you have a point as a rule we fisherman are lazy to get organized or complain and wait untill it's to late to do something about it. Look how many Bitch sesions took place on this site alone over the last year on a number of issues. But did we take any action? No! We sit back and think someone else will do it. I said it before and I'll say it again. Someday the only place in Ct where a tournament can be held will be the Ct River.
See now I went and did all this complaining , But will I get off my ass and try to organize and have a voice in goverment? NO it's easier to sit and Bitch.
#675107 - 06/28/06 02:14 AM Re: Tournament Fishing in CT: Act now or sit home and only watch them on TV
Jon Pski Offline

Loc: Winsted, CT
By Dusty
 Quote:
just look at the thread on this site about changing summer regulations on some trout lakes...and the bass management has had MANY complaints, but they are doing what they feel is best for the lakes.

We're talking about two totally different departments within the DEP though. Fisheries is a tiny portion of Bureau of Outdoor Recreation while Boating , who makes these parking rules has a completly different Bureau Chief and falls under Parks. Parks has different priorities than Fisheries. They could care less about tournaments other than they are a thorn in their side. Fisheries, generally, has no issue with tournaments.

Certaintly not the only reason, but one of the reasons that there is no State ramp on Waramaug is due to the Parks division not wanting it there. That is their park and a boat launch would just be another burden. Boating falls under Parks, Boat launches fall under Parks. Our issue is not necassarily with Fisheries, it ought to be aimed at Boating/Parks. Dusty, can you provide us with the name of the Bureau Chief of Parks? I believe this is the person that needs an earfull. Carbon copy all messages to DEP Commisioner, Gina Mcarthy and your local Representative also.

Just to be an idiot though, I wonder if a tournament permit application would be approved if it was indicated that it would NOT be catch & release? No law against a group of folks getting together to collect a bunch of fish for eats right? ;\)
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Active Topics