CTF name: E.J.
Current city: Enfield, CT
Hometown: Enfield, CT
Family members: 5

1. How long have you been a charter captain?
Six years.

2. Do you charter full-time?
I charter part-time at the present

3. When and how did you first get into fishing?
I was a military brat. My folks were both in the Navy and I used to fish with my father at whatever port he was stationed. Then as a teen I lived in western Massachusetts and fish extensively for trout in the various rivers and streams in the area.

4. What is one of your most memorable charter experiences?
I love to take kids fishing. One charter a few years back, two dads wanted to take their kids fishing. It was on a day late in the baseball season when the Sox were playing the Yanks. So the two dads being diehard Sox fans just left the kids in the back of the boat while they sat up front listening to the game and having a few beverages. The kids had never fished before so I spent a lot time teaching about how to use the equipment baiting a hook and etc. To make the story short these two kids boated four stripers over 40” and 15 other keeper sized fish along with several gator blues. All were caught on very light tackle in less than eight feet of water. Yup, their smiles were priceless.

5. What is one of the strangest experiences you have had while chartering?
There are a lot of them so I’ll go with one from last season. I was fishing the mouth of the CT River with topwater plugs. Tman had given me a couple of his new poppers to try. I was into the fishing for about an hour and one of my friends was throwing a Danny’s swimmer and doing well (he boated about six fish). I hadn’t boated any fish. However, I was getting whacked hard on almost every cast but couldn’t stay hooked up. I was taking a lot of ribbing from my buddy and since it couldn’t be “me” doing something wrong I decided to check the plug. Trying not to let my friend know cuz I had already took enough crap from him, I found the problem. Pat puts safety plastic over the hooks. Yup, felt pretty stupid that day. After I took the plastic off the hooks, I landed numerous fish

6. When people go on a charter, what are some of things they should -- and should not do -- to ensure they have a good experience?
People should come rested and prepared. Staying up all night partying may sound like fun when you’re with your buddies, but once you’re on the water for a few hours it WILL catch up with you. Always have enough clothing. You can always take something off, but it’s generally cooler out the water then at home. And bring a camera.

A customer's nice striper.

7. Do you have any fish-that-got-away stories that still haunt you?
Losing my only Marlin in Cabo San Lucas Mexico. Still can’t talk about it

8. There are a lot of charter captains who choose not to participate in online fishing forums. Why are you a member of CTF?
I like to talk about fishing and meet new people.

As for why there is reluctance for other captains to get involved I think there’s a lot a different reasons. I think are that the newer captains do get involved on websites and discussion boards more often. In the past, captains used trade shows, fliers, periodical advertising to get the word out about their service. That’s what they know and were successful at. The internet in this industry, as in everything, has changed things

9. Do you ever have time to "fun fish" for yourself?
Absolutely, some of the best time have been with close friends and some new friends from CTF board.

Albacore triple.

10. Without naming names, what are some of the unethical things you have witnessed within the charter boat industry?
A few years ago I went out on a charter with a friend from NJ. We were fishing for stripers and I believe NJ had a slot limit at that time. We were catching a lot of fish on umbrella rigs and bunker spoons. However we were also keeping EVERY fish no matter size or numbers. I stopped fishing after about an hour it was just too disgusting.

11. What is the biggest misconception people have about being a charter captain?
The stress and hard work that goes into it. Every time I take someone my stomach is in knots until we get into fish. Anybody can catch fish on good days. As a captain you earn your reputation on the very slow days by still putting your client on fish. It may mean changing tactics, changing location, going from plan A to plan B to plan C……. until you find something that works. Also since you are with people so you need to be a people person. Nobody wants to spend a day with a grumpy ol salt

12. What is the biggest striper one of your customers has caught?
The biggest striper was 53” by a gentlemen named Anthony caught on a live shad.

The biggest striper on artificial is a tie 46.5” on a 2 oz pencil popper (Tom) ...

and a 46.5” caught on a Tman tube last fall (Gene) ...

and the biggest caught by someone under 10 ...

13. What are some of the biggest mistakes the average fisherman makes when it comes to targeting striped bass?
I think the biggest mistake made by fisherman that target stripers is they have not taken the time to learn what will work in the area they plan to fish. There are plenty of FREE resources including websites devoted to striped bass fishing and local tackle shops that are willing to suggest the proper equipment and baits. Doing just a little research will help avoid making the mistakes others before have learned the hard way. Granted, as fishermen, we like to embellish our stories but the advice and fishing lore can put you in the right direction. Also, going out with an experienced guide will save time and money in the long run.

14. How has the fishery in and around Connecticut changed in your lifetime?
I was originally a freshwater fisherman and the fishery was somewhat consistent because of stocking. I have seen the American Shad fishery deteriorate over the years. I can remember have days of throwing shad darts and catching till my arm became sore.

As a kid living on a naval base in Newport, RI, I remember how great the striper fishing was. Then as everyone one knows for years striper were awful. Bluefish everywhere but no stripers. The Stripers came back a few years and has been great. However, I’ve noticed in some of my favorite areas that it stating to deteriote rapidly. Most notably CT River, the Saco River in Me. and the Merimack River in Newburyport Ma.

15. How do you see the future of fishing in Long Island Sound?
I have some concerns. Fluke fishing around Niantic bay is not as good as it once was. (Commercial boats) Albies have not been around for two years. And there seems to be more slow days for striper fishing. On the good side adult bunker are around in good numbers.

E.J. fishing in Alaska.

16. You're put in charge of the CT DEP. What three things do you do right away?
Absolutely abandon the restoration of Atlantic Salmon to the CT River. This is and has been a complete failure over the last 40years. And it will continue to be a failure for the foreseeable future

Spend the money from the Salmon program and use it restore the herring run. This is a far easier task and would bring lot’s of revenue to the state

Hire more field officers. Too much illegal fishing going on for them to police.

17. Outside of fishing, what hobbies or interest do you enjoy?
Playing tennis and basketball. Watching the Red Sox

18. What is the biggest hardship you have had to overcome in your life?
Working full time and going to college full time

19. If you had to choose just one lure to target stripers for a day on the water, what would it be?
TMAN TUBE-15 inch red

20. What advice would you give to a guy who says he wants to fish for a living?
Got to be persistent and flexible. Fishing changes everyday. What works one day may not the next. You always need a plan B.