ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1837479 - 12/28/22 10:23 AM Length regulation clarification please
MikeV Offline

Loc: Tolland
I just a purchased a new 20' center console that my son and I will begin using in Long Island Sound this spring. The boat will be kept in a slip in a marina TBD most likely in Niantic. I am considering adding a bait/fish cleaning station (the kind that goes in a rod holder) so that one of us can clean fish as we head home at the end of our trips like the party boats do.

For fish that have a minimum or slot length like fluke, black seabass, porgeys, and striped bass; Can I fillet legal length fish on my boat on the ride in?

Do I need to keep the racks on the boat? Will a picture with a tape measure or yard stick for reference suffice?

The actual length part of the regulations are clear. I appreciate that once I fillet a fish it is no longer possible to document that it was a legal fish (without a rack or picture). Please clarify when and where I can fillet my catch and if any documentation of length is needed prior to reaching my dock.

Thank you for your help,

MikeV
Fishing Info
#1837483 - 12/28/22 11:34 AM Re: Length regulation clarification please [Re: MikeV]
Buck Offline

My understanding is that you can filet the catch on the boat but the rack needs to be saved. I save all racks anyways and add them to my compost pile or bury them under garden plants like tomatoes, etc. Pumpkin plants with a porgy rack dug under them will out-produce the same pumpkin plants without a porgy rack two pumpkins to one.
#1837485 - 12/28/22 01:04 PM Re: Length regulation clarification please [Re: MikeV]
MikeV Offline

Thanks. That's an excellent idea. Instead of paying around 5 bucks each for small bags of aged manure, I can add nitrogen and other needed nutrients by burying the racks. What I don't know about fishing and gardening could fill several books.

Now that I think of it, when I fished with my neighbor (that was about 15 years ago) we almost always stopped at his Dad's place in Waterford to bury the fish racks in his very big garden. The garden was magnificent producing a lot of large, very tasty tomatoes along with zucchini, peas, broccoli and salad greens. That's a great, practical, eco-friendly way to go.

MikeV
#1837492 - 12/28/22 03:11 PM Re: Length regulation clarification please [Re: MikeV]
Capt_Jay Offline

Team Empty Hook

Loc: Ludlow, MA / Niantic CT
So what are the details on the new boat?

I keep my 21' in valet at Niantic Bay Boathouse. Indoor rack storage. They have a phone app to launch the boat, and will even gas it up for you.

3 Bells has valet and slips as well.

Boats Inc has a great package deal for slipped boats.

Slips and storage goes fast....you want to be calling people now.

Edited by Capt_Jay (12/28/22 03:12 PM)

He who dies with the most toys.......still dies.

USCG Captain - 50 Ton Masters

21' Trophy W/A "Reel Treasures"
#1837496 - 12/28/22 05:05 PM Re: Length regulation clarification please [Re: MikeV]
Conrad G. Offline

Loc: SOUTHINGTON
Raccoons love to dig up racks, best of luck laugh

When I come home stinking like fish, I know I`ve had a good day....
#1837497 - 12/28/22 05:46 PM Re: Length regulation clarification please [Re: Conrad G.]
tommy Offline

Loc: Danbury
Originally Posted By: Conrad G.
Raccoons love to dig up racks, best of luck laugh

I had something dig up a rack in my garden last month, Guess I didn't did deep enough.
#1837509 - 12/29/22 11:10 AM Re: Length regulation clarification please [Re: MikeV]
MikeV Offline

The new boat is a Tidewater 198CC
Here are the details: https://www.tidewaterboats.com/198-cc-adventure.html

We (My son and I) will keep it at a slip somewhere (TBD) in Niantic or close by.

We are working on the slip now. We are both very much looking forward to the spring.

MikeV
#1837514 - 12/29/22 01:12 PM Re: Length regulation clarification please [Re: MikeV]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Loc: Tolland CT
#1837518 - 12/29/22 04:38 PM Re: Length regulation clarification please [Re: MikeV]
Capt_Jay Offline

Team Empty Hook

Loc: Ludlow, MA / Niantic CT
Originally Posted By: MikeV
The new boat is a Tidewater 198CC
Here are the details: https://www.tidewaterboats.com/198-cc-adventure.html

We (My son and I) will keep it at a slip somewhere (TBD) in Niantic or close by.

We are working on the slip now. We are both very much looking forward to the spring.

MikeV

Great boat, congratulations!!!

He who dies with the most toys.......still dies.

USCG Captain - 50 Ton Masters

21' Trophy W/A "Reel Treasures"

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics