ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1840228 - 04/17/23 01:27 PM Lake Trout in Crystal Lake
ctffishman Offline

Loc: Berlin, Ct.
I love lake trout. Have caught my share up on Champlain but putting them in a lake the size of Crystal lake concerns me. I'm afraid they will eat every other fish that fits in their mouth!! Small trout...bass...perch etc. will get nailed by these eating machines. I hope the state knows what it's doing.
Fishing Info
#1840231 - 04/17/23 03:03 PM Re: Lake Trout in Crystal Lake [Re: ctffishman]
Iuse2fish Offline

Loc: Danbury, CT.
I don't think that the state knows what they are doing. smile1
#1840236 - 04/17/23 03:54 PM Re: Lake Trout in Crystal Lake [Re: ctffishman]
Tall 1 Offline

The state put them in there as a put and take operation only, they do not plan for the fish to survive through one season. Apparently they were donated by the federal government from a hatchery in Vermont and they put 440 fish into five different lakes, including Crystal, Bigelow Pond and and Coventry in our area.
They’re definitely big fish, ranging from 6 to 18 pounds.
I don’t think they’re getting much feedback from anglers because they put up a post on Facebook today asking if anybody has caught any or if they have pictures and the only people that responded had caught them the day they were stocked when they were hanging around the boat launch and it was catch and release.

Edited by Tall 1 (04/17/23 03:55 PM)
#1840250 - 04/17/23 05:24 PM Re: Lake Trout in Crystal Lake [Re: ctffishman]
Buck Offline

One place they might survive is Lake Saltonstall, a natural lake down just east of New Haven. It is very deep and carved out by the last ice age.
A few years back when Bob Orciari was the Inland Fisheries Western District Manager, we were discussing a series of sonar markings that registered on a state boat that indicated huge fish just off the bottom at the deepest point in the lake down along the north east shore line. We met that Spring at the lake, rented a boat, and I installed my Lowrance Paper Graph so we would have a permanent recording. We also brought some dead alewife herring and some heavy freshwater gear for fishing.
We found the markings which showed as boom-a-rang marks about 15' off the bottom. There was no indication that huge carp will go that deep and no other species was even close to that big. Huge Brown Trout would be more towards the upper end of the thermocline, etc.
Lake trout could be that deep though and as the ice age increased over time to its maximum, native lake trout from other water systems could be flushed down to the south. The state record lake trout is something like 29lbs, caught years ago, in Wono (lakeville Lake). How did it get there?
During the peak of the ice age, maybe 15,000 years ago, the oceans were about 400' shallower than today and the Long Island Sound side of the Race, from the RI land-mass to the Orient Point land-mass on the north shore of the Long Island area, was a land barrier that formed a huge fresh water lake. The East River and the Hudson River had a couple of hundred miles of down hill run to reach saltwater. So Saltonstall and the "Long Island Sound" area could have held all kinds of northern species as their last refuge.
Anyway, deep jigging with dead herring, jigging spoons, etc. just off the bottom and continuing up about half way produced zero hits or hookups. We worked it for a couple of hours before we quit and went walleye fishing up at the other end of the lake. So we don't know what these "fish marks" were. Maybe not fish at all but old timber but we never got hung up either and the marks seemed to move around though a paper graph has no GPS function and does not have the detail of today's electronics.
So the mystery continues, if you fish Saltonstall head over to that area and run your electronics and see what you can print.
#1840274 - 04/18/23 09:20 AM Re: Lake Trout in Crystal Lake [Re: ctffishman]
mikek06511 Offline

I saw those same marks in Saltonstall some years back.
I took a boat and a portable sounder out across the deep center of the lake and also saw them close to but not completely on the bottom. I recall what I saw was deep but closer to halfway.
I know there are some huge trout in the lake as an old neighbor snuck in before the lake was reopened and brought home an enormous one.
#1841069 - 05/17/23 06:12 PM Re: Lake Trout in Crystal Lake [Re: ctffishman]
SneakyBlackDog Offline

Most guys who fish Crystal don't have the size net they need to get them in the boat, took me over 30 minutes to get it to the boat, my rod and reel were over matched for the battle. These fish are going to be around a long time.
#1841194 - 05/23/23 05:13 PM Re: Lake Trout in Crystal Lake [Re: Buck]
seeforellen Offline

big white suckers,they like cold water.same thing in beach pond.
#1841195 - 05/23/23 05:15 PM Re: Lake Trout in Crystal Lake [Re: SneakyBlackDog]
seeforellen Offline

they wont make it past june,the browns have trouble surviving the summer some years.
#1841200 - 05/23/23 09:32 PM Re: Lake Trout in Crystal Lake [Re: Buck]
JLMOS Offline

Loc: Meriden,CT.
Originally Posted By: Buck
One place they might survive is Lake Saltonstall, a natural lake down just east of New Haven. It is very deep and carved out by the last ice age.
A few years back when Bob Orciari was the Inland Fisheries Western District Manager, we were discussing a series of sonar markings that registered on a state boat that indicated huge fish just off the bottom at the deepest point in the lake down along the north east shore line. We met that Spring at the lake, rented a boat, and I installed my Lowrance Paper Graph so we would have a permanent recording. We also brought some dead alewife herring and some heavy freshwater gear for fishing.
We found the markings which showed as boom-a-rang marks about 15' off the bottom. There was no indication that huge carp will go that deep and no other species was even close to that big. Huge Brown Trout would be more towards the upper end of the thermocline, etc.
Lake trout could be that deep though and as the ice age increased over time to its maximum, native lake trout from other water systems could be flushed down to the south. The state record lake trout is something like 29lbs, caught years ago, in Wono (lakeville Lake). How did it get there?
During the peak of the ice age, maybe 15,000 years ago, the oceans were about 400' shallower than today and the Long Island Sound side of the Race, from the RI land-mass to the Orient Point land-mass on the north shore of the Long Island area, was a land barrier that formed a huge fresh water lake. The East River and the Hudson River had a couple of hundred miles of down hill run to reach saltwater. So Saltonstall and the "Long Island Sound" area could have held all kinds of northern species as their last refuge.
Anyway, deep jigging with dead herring, jigging spoons, etc. just off the bottom and continuing up about half way produced zero hits or hookups. We worked it for a couple of hours before we quit and went walleye fishing up at the other end of the lake. So we don't know what these "fish marks" were. Maybe not fish at all but old timber but we never got hung up either and the marks seemed to move around though a paper graph has no GPS function and does not have the detail of today's electronics.
So the mystery continues, if you fish Saltonstall head over to that area and run your electronics and see what you can print.

My wife & I have been trying to figure this out also. We've tried the frozen alwives, but not jigging them just 3-way drifting. Even tried nightcrawlers to no avail. We have an Al Linder "In-Fisherman" vhs tape "How to catch Trophy Lake Trout" (we used to fish MooseHead Lake for them for about 10 years.) One technique that would possibly work is Al would jig a (I forgot what type/style jig.) but he would tip the single hook with a chunk of fresh sucker meat, then let it drop to hit bottom and proceed to start from bottom and work the water column.

We never tried this approach, but I'm sure "if" they are in fact Lake Trout I don't see why it wouldn't work. That is if the(?) fish cooperate. Maybe something like a 1-4oz Diamond Jig?

This area I refer to it as "The Trench" bottoms out at 109-110 FOW and we've marked the (fish) at anywhere from 75-95 FOW. They are ALWAYS THERE too. If I remember correctly the deepest end is on the South end of The Trench and at the Northern end it comes up quite quickly to around 35 FOW so that kind limited the drifting pattern(s).

Never thought of this idea until just now, (it's kinda "dirty pool") but if you feel very lucky, could drop a "snagging weighted treble hook" like for snagging bunker...? I know that would be almost grasping at straws because you'd have to be literally directly under them. I know that that would be "cheating- foul hooking" but I really want to find out WHAT THEY ARE.

Any updates will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. A portable downrigger is another very good idea, except you'd have to research the length of The Trench & depth as to not have the downrigger ball hit the northern ledge. Or try trolling it from the North end and head south. It is not very long if I remember correctly, maybe 50-75 yards long? Don't remember how wide it is, but exactly where they hang out at is a not very big window of opportunity.

Best of luck to all who make an attempt to solve the mystery of Lake "S"

Edited by JLMOS (05/23/23 09:45 PM)
Edit Reason: added content.

I should've been here yesterday?
I was...
And I didn't catch anything then either!!!

"Cheese has no business being on a turkey sandwich."~ Silas Robertson

"This here not keeping score crap; Ends today! " ~ Frank Barone

"I want to go back
And do it all over
But I can't go back I know" ~ Eddie Money
#1841201 - 05/23/23 09:52 PM Re: Lake Trout in Crystal Lake [Re: ctffishman]
JLMOS Offline

Loc: Meriden,CT.
Another idea would be...
If anyone still has one of those Auqa-View under water video camera's that has a light up feature? I remember Blaine was big into them many years ago...

Just a thought.

I should've been here yesterday?
I was...
And I didn't catch anything then either!!!

"Cheese has no business being on a turkey sandwich."~ Silas Robertson

"This here not keeping score crap; Ends today! " ~ Frank Barone

"I want to go back
And do it all over
But I can't go back I know" ~ Eddie Money

Moderator:  Bill G, Editors, FindBass 

Active Topics