Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1840967 - 05/14/23 05:16 AM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
earl bird Offline

Loc: Terryville
YES!!

Fishing: the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting, or swearing.
Henry Beard and Roy McKie
Fishing Info
#1840980 - 05/14/23 06:29 PM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

14.May: I arrived at the Wall about 11:45 am, a handful of regulars were plying the water. No reports of shad, and only a few alewives. The river was down still more, and when the tide changed later in the afternoon, an old piling was exposed at the far left of the Wall. The current, such as it was, was lackluster. I lasted until 4:pm, and a few alewives mouthing the weights, was all the action I could muster. I saw only 4 shad caught today. Scuttlebutt from the cast of regulars is that the shad moved north quickly with the high water we had following the rains, and snowmelt. IDK if there is any credence to the speculation, but the season seems to be about played out. I'll keep at it until the cotton fouls the rivers, line, and tackle.

Terminal tackle, same-same as the last couple of trips out. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"
#1841018 - 05/15/23 07:59 PM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

15.May: I wasn't feeling well leaving work late. I arrived at the Wall just before 5:pm. Half a dozen or 8 people, about half regulars, were taking casting practice. John, one of the regulars hooked a nice buck as I was setting up, so I netted it for him. The water is down still more, and as it keeps falling, pretty soon my 118" landing net ain't gonna cut the muster. I toughed out an hour feeling progressively worse, and saw a couple of Alewives, and 3 more shad landed, including another by John before I left at 6:pm.

At home I checked my temp, 99.8ºF. Meh. :-/ Yepper, I'm under the weather. We'll see how I feel tomorrow, maybe, maybe not...

Terminal tackle, same-same. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1841026 - 05/16/23 08:11 AM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
kayak fisher Offline

Loc: milford
Hope you're feeling better. I enjoy your reports.

bob
#1841053 - 05/16/23 07:33 PM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Hi Bob, yes I'm certainly feeling better. Glad you enjoy the reports.

16.May: I got out of work a little early, and arrived at Rocky Hill just after 4:pm. I figured they would have the docks in at Ferry Park, and most of them were in. There were only 2 shadaholics working the docks on arrival. Miguel C&R a shad as I set up on the fire boat dock, and a little while later a guy across from us landed a nice long roe. She was spawned out, had dropped her eggs, and she was pretty beat up.

A little while later, a couple of more regulars showed up, and we had a half dozen with arms in casts. A couple of guys pulled up to the docks in a boat, saying they had struck out, nothing but skunk. They joined us on the docks, LOL. Just before 5:pm I scored a middling white perch, and other than a couple of taps and bumps, that was all she wrote for me today. Miguel caught a second shad, and Bill C also hooked up. Sissy managed 2 herself, and Dylan was crushing the crappie, LOL. By 6:pm, my supper was calling, so I packed it in. The shad didn't cooperate, for me, but the company, and laughs made up for the lack of action.

I started with my U/L set up: 3/4 oz drail over 3' 10# flouro, and a hammered silver "one-eyed jack" pattern. That garnered the white perch, and some interested bumps and taps. As the current picked up, I switched to my med action set up: 1 oz drail over 3' flouro, and a hammered silver "Jamaican" pattern. No takers for me, but it seemed to work for Bill.

Tomorrow I'll head back to RH after work. No matter what you're pursuing, tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1841223 - 05/24/23 08:35 PM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Late reports:
17 & 21.May: I went to Rocky Hill and Cromwell for nada.

22.May: I stopped by Cromwell just before 4:pm after work, but the one shadaholic fishing hadn't gotten so much as an alewife. So..off to Rocky Hill, arriving shortly after 4:pm. The cotton was on the water, but despite the rain on Saturday, the river was mostly clear of debris, except for the damned cotton. mad1 I started out fishing alone on the boating dock (fisherman's dock still wasn't in), except for a couple of kids soaking chicken livers for cats, across the way on the RH Fire Dept. boat dock.

About an hour after I started casting practice, Bill and Miguel showed up. We fished together for another hour, before supper called me off the dock. Dylan showed up as I left. We all got nuthin' for our efforts. Well not all of us, Bill and Dylan targeted Crappy and were doing pretty well with the panfish. By then the cotton was starting to float by in mats. mad1

23.May: I arrived at Cromwell (didn't want to deal with the cotton in RH) about 4:25 pm. There were a few shadaholics at work, and as I parked, one was playing a shad, and the another was wandering in circles looking for a landing net, LOL! I grabbed my net and landed a middlin' buck shad, maybe 2#; his 3rd shad of the day. Within a few minutes a 3rd regular also hooked up. Blessedly, the cotton was scarce.

About an hour later 3 of us hooked up at the same time. While I was fighting mine, I helped net shadaholic #1's 4th shad. Shadaholic #2 landed a nice big white perch. Eventually one of them assisted me with the net to land a nice long, but spawned out roe. About a half-hour later I landed a small schoolie striper. All in all, about 6 shad were landed, most released, but a couple went to a guy who wanted to smoke them. I hope he remembers my contribution...

24.May: I arrived at Cromwell about 4:15 pm. The river hadn't fallen much since Sunday, and remained relatively clear of cotton, and other flotsam. A few alewives made an appearance, and a regular down towards the middle of the wall landed a middlin' shad. I had one short hit with 3 solid headshakes before the line went slack, and C&R a few alewives. Until about 5:45 pm when I had a hard grab that set it's own hook. It gave my drag a work out (love that sound!), but we got him in the net. A long, thin buck, at about 2# maybe a bit more. I had been talking fishing with one of our security guards at work, and she asked me to remember her. Today I did, and will bring her the fillets tomorrow. grin

Terminal tackle: 1 oz drail over 3' 12# flouro (I went up from 10# due to too many fouled leaders in the windy, of late, conditions), and a hammered silver in candy corn colors. To be fair, I threw a few other patterns, but candy corn seemed to be the most successful. YMMV, and invariably will...

The season is winding down, but there is still a little life left in it. Get 'em while we can, and tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1841247 - 05/25/23 06:23 PM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
Don D Offline

Loc: Bristol, CT
Thanks for all your great reports. Love reading them.

If there are fish to catch. I'll be there to my end.
#1841251 - 05/26/23 06:16 AM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

25.May: I was on the Wall by about 4:15 pm. One lone regular had his usual spot staked out, and no one else in sight. He reported there was virtually no current, but that he had caught a shad earlier in the afternoon, but none since. Not even an alewife. On my 2nd cast I had a short hit and a couple of headshakes. A few casts later, I was bringing a small buck to the net by 4:30 pm. Sweet! After a Kodak Moment™, he went back in the drink. About 5:pm, I had a good hookset, but it was too light to be shad, and too heavy to be an alewife. It turned out to be a little bronze back, not the white perch I was expecting.

By the time I left at 5:30 pm, the regular had left, and been replaced by another. He was soaking sandworms about 1/2 way down the Wall, and casting for shad up near me. He C&R a 23" schoolie, but that was it for the short time I was there.

Terminal tackle, same-same. I'll be out again today after work, chasing whatever shad are remaining. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1841255 - 05/26/23 09:27 AM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
MikeV Offline

Loc: Tolland
One Shad, one Smallie in just over an hour is good shooting. As the Great Gretzky told us,"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. ..."

Keep getting out there and be ready for that double digit fish with your name on it. You can get him to show up sooner by eating a large sandwich that requires two hands or taking a phone call from someone that you can't hang up on.

The best is yet to come,

MikeV
#1841257 - 05/26/23 10:30 AM Re: SHAD! 2023 [Re: No Fish Today]
CODKING Offline

I went to Barts upstream from the RR bridge with a friend of mine, caught 7 or 8 in a few hours!This was about 2 weeks ago using Willow leafs
The water was clear and dropping
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics