ctfisherman.com logo
Page 3 of 122 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 121 122 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#786935 - 06/18/03 02:26 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
slacktide Offline

Barstool philosopher

Listen to the rest of the song, it's about corruption in organized religion.
Fishing Info
#786936 - 06/18/03 02:30 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Zach S. Offline

Loc: Pardeeville, WI
 Quote:
As for these 1 hit wonder metal bands today (some of them are pretty good), none of them will ever come close to what metallica has done musically. Do really think sevendust, godsmack or system of a down will last for nearly 2
decades????
one hit wonder metal bands? hmm- are those 3 really ? i know sevendust has 3 solid cd's with another in the works and system has 2 solid cd's- one "outtakes" cd that is really good- and i suspect they have more good music ahead... they may not be multiple decade contributors (of course that remains to be seen) but i wouldn't say their one hit wonders either... i'm not a big godsmack fan at all- but i think they are one of the more established metal bands right now... who else is there? not a big stain'd fan- but they are established now too... it would be easy for someone to say metal sux right now - but i think that would "date" you... there is some decent music being made right now - but a lot more crap than good stuff (isn't that always the case?)

i hear your argument though- can't deny the past- but can't use it as a measuring stick either- i would give you the same argument if we were talking about VH/DLR...

Fishing is way too important to take so seriously...
#786937 - 06/18/03 02:33 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Zach S. Offline

Loc: Pardeeville, WI
 Quote:
Is there anyone else going to see Iron Maiden at the Meadows in July??? If so we should meet in the parking lot to do some tailgating.
i DEFINIELY want to see maiden in july- i didn't get a ticket - but when i do - i will start a new thread and see if we can get some ctfishermen there... whaddya' say Mitch? i owe you a few "ultra-premium" meadow's beers... haha \:D

Fishing is way too important to take so seriously...
#786938 - 06/18/03 02:34 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
slacktide Offline

Barstool philosopher

I SMELL A CD SWAPPING EVENT BREWING!!!
#786939 - 06/18/03 09:29 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Mark H Offline

Loc: Essex
Ok I just had to chime in on this. The new Metallica is fair, but after 20 years they are still rocking, can't be said for most metal bands.

Since we are on the topic of metal, what would you list as your top 10 metal cd's of all time. Mine would be, in no particular order.

Pantera-vulgar display of power
Metallica-master of puppets
Megadeth-Countdown to Extinction
Anthrax-attack of the killer B's
Guns N Roses-appetite for destruction
Metallice-ride the lightning
Rage against the machine-self-titled cd
Life of agony-ugly
Black sabbath-self-titled cd
Queensryche-operation mindcrime

I'm sure I left of some others that deserve to be on that list.
#786940 - 06/18/03 09:38 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Trooper_Bri Offline

Loc: Smellington
It's horrible.
Constant repetition of lyrics. Flat, muted music that sounds like they are all crowded around a single mic.
Kudos to Metallica. They finally found a way to keep folks from illegally distributing their music; by writing crap. Back to their roots indeed. Mayhap a little too far back. :rolleyes:

Slow fishing is better than no fishing.
#786941 - 06/18/03 11:31 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Rookie Offline

Loc: Milford, Ct
LOL GMpartsguy, i agree.

The new album is plain and simply a let down. Im glad im a die hard Ozzy/Sabbath fan since boyhood!

Want a good laugh? Here:

"What saves St. Anger from being a victim of its own self-pity, and actually elevates it into the category of a pretty good metal record, is his voice. Producer Bob Rock has wisely taken the gloss off Metallica's sound, and Hetfield is the biggest beneficiary."

Taken from here: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101030616-457360,00.html?CNN=yes

You might say, "no wonder" like i did after reading that. Its just too bad some think its ok that they could TRY and pull this over on the true fans in it for the enjoyment and not just to have another Metallica album!
#786942 - 06/19/03 01:44 AM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Trooper_Bri Offline

Loc: Smellington
The guy i work next to bought it, and ive had a chance to hear it a couple times. I just didnt work for me. I hate to bash em' really, but the truth hurts.
I also see a ctfisherman Iron Maiden party in the works. I saw them with Twisted Sister in Hartford wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the mid-80's (yikes, whered the time go ?). It was a great show, and was 2'nd only to military aircraft, the loudest fripping thing i have ever heard.

Slow fishing is better than no fishing.
#786943 - 06/19/03 03:09 AM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Mitch P. Offline

For some good laughs, read some of the 1,000+ reviews on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...ustomer-reviews

Chaldo, some good albums in your list. I'll have to try to come up with mine. Surprised anyone else ever heard of Life of Agony! Good album.

Operation Mindcrime is a metal classic, but Q-ryche is another great band that finally s&*t the bed.
#786944 - 06/19/03 09:00 AM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Mark H Offline

Loc: Essex
Chaldo? It was hard to put Operation Mindcrime on that list, it's not really metal but it's just to good to leave off. I agree that they are all finished, it's to bad they had some great stuff. Nobody's heard of life of agony? That is a shame they were a great band. I used to work at a cd store, so I got to check out a lot of different bands. It was cool except sometimes I ended up using most of my paycheck on cds. I downloaded the new Metallica cd, after all the BS they did about Napster I refuse to give them anymore of my $$$. I'll burn you a copy if you want it.
Page 3 of 122 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 121 122 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics