ctfisherman.com logo
Page 5 of 122 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 121 122 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#786955 - 06/19/03 04:07 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Mark H Offline

Loc: Essex
Ahh Ministry great stuff, I only left them off because I consider them more industrial than metal. Killing joke, NIN, Front 242, Ministry, Gravity Kills, KMFDM, Front Line Assembly, Fear factory....... That would require a new list. \:\)
Fishing Info
#786956 - 06/19/03 05:03 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Spicoli Offline

I was going to mention a few of those but figured most people wouldn't know them. You and I like the same kind of music. Are you into techno, house, or trance?

"I'm the master of low expectations." - George W. Bush
#786957 - 06/19/03 06:44 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
AjaxWarrior Offline

AHHH!! Now we're on a subject I truly love!!

First off, there is definitely a difference between METAL and HARD ROCK. Metallica is metal. G&R is NOT.. it's hard rock. There's different catagories of metal also, but that's a whole topic in itself!
I go way back in the metal days. Me and Timber24 have seen Metallica back in the late 80's with OZZY at the New Haven coliseum (long live Cliff Burton!), as well as others like MANOWAR and TESTAMENT at Lamour's in Brooklyn, DARK ANGEL at CBGB's, and even MEGADETH at the "Keg house" bar in New Haven on their first album tour (which I got thrown out of and saw the show through the window.. BAD DRUNKEN METALHEAD!!)
Even today's metal makes that stuff sound, like Mitch implies, SOFT. Some of my favorites now are MALEVOLENT CREATION, MONSTROSITY, CRADLE OF FILTH, and if you can find this, SOLSTICE(USA). They truly "CRACK THE CONCRETE".

Anyway, my top 10 switches every day, but here's some in no particular order:

1: Solstice (USA) self-titled
2: Celtic Frost "Morbid Tales"
3: Metallica "Kill 'em all"
4: Testament "First strike STILL deadly"**
5: Sacred Reich "Ignorance"
6: S.O.D. "Speak English or Die"
7: Morbid Angel "Domination"
8: Anthrax "Spreading the Disease"
9: Cradle Of Filth "Damnation and a day"
10: Ahh, who the hell knows what else..

** This Testament cd is a comp of their first 2 albums, re-recorded by them with today's technology. If you are die-hard fans of theirs from back in the day, this is a MUST to crank in your automobile!!

And finally I will add: ANYONE WANNA JAM?? HEHE!

"This is what we fought all night to get back to?"

JohnnyA
#786958 - 06/19/03 08:31 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Mark H Offline

Loc: Essex
Spicoli, I will listen to anything other than rap or country. My tastes are all over the place depending on my mood. I could never do a list of top 10 cds of all time, my head would explode first. :p I'm sure I could list off many metal bands that I like, that most people have never even given a listen to. Corporate rock just sucks, lots of great bands out there that never even get a chance.
#786959 - 06/19/03 10:37 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Drewfus Offline

Does anyone hear listen to Iced Earth??? THey are one of my favorite metal bands. THey have a slew of albums dating from the early 90's. The ones from the mid 90's to the present are much better due to their singer who in my opinion may have the best voice in metal history. For some reason i only own one of thier albums, "Horrow Show" I highly reccomend it. i do have many songs on my computer though. The live album "Alive in Athens" is outstanding also. Recently they put out a cover album covering classic metal songs by sabbath, maiden, ac dc etc. Thier cover of "Hallowed By thy Name" is now my favorite cover of all time. I can try to send songs to anyone who is interested.
#786960 - 06/20/03 12:44 AM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Timber24 Offline

Have to add to the lists Mitch and Ajaxwarrior have stated. Great bands ands CD's mentioned there, but these are some of my choices for timeless ripp'n CD's:

Slayer - "Reign in Blood"
Sacrifice - "Forward to Termination"
Forbidden - "Forbidden Evil"
Suicidal Tendencies - self titled
Death Angel - "Act III"
Dark Angel - "Darkness Decends"
Metallica - "Master of Puppets"
Kreator - "Kill for Pleasure"
Megadeth - "Peace Sells But Who's Buying"
Armored Saint - "Delerious Nomad"
Manowar - "Hail to England"

Countless other great bands of the true metal era like Destruction, Posessed, Ludichrist, Nuclear Assault, OverKill, Exodus, Sacred Reich, Pantera, Celtic Frost, Onslaught, Cryptic Slaughter, Anthrax, Death, and Bad Brains.

Aaaaah - those were the days! I went through many sets of car speakers during my college years.

The current metal doesn't seem to have the in your face intensity like when the above bands reigned. The modern punk bands are what I think to be the best stuff you can find in CD stores now.
Mitch, you must have a punk side if the Ramones are your top band. Got some great CDs you may like from NOFX, No Use For a Name, Lagwagon, Strung Out, Rise Against, Good Riddance, Avail.

Gotta love the power of MUSIC to keep yourself sane!

Most problems seem to fade away once you get a solid dose of fish slime under your fingernails.

John from Trumbull
#786961 - 06/20/03 02:49 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Mitch P. Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Zach S.:
have you guys heard new queensryche already? i didn't hear anything from the new cd yet- but i was hoping that getting chris degarmo back meant going back to their metal sound...
Me too Zach. They’re one of my favorite bands. I loved Promised Land, but after that, their music was unlistenable to me!

Their new album is coming out 7/22.

There’s some sound clips available on their site:
http://www.queensryche.com/releases/tribe/index.html
#786962 - 06/20/03 02:50 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Mitch P. Offline

Some great bands mentioned here by everyone. The older guys probably wonder what the hell we’re talking about.

Ajax…so what are your thoughts on the new Metallica?

Slacktide, how about a “ctfisherman metal-fest” outing? Zach, will you be wearing your Stryper outfit? (FYI…see this link…I know it’s what you’ve been waiting for! The Stryper reunion Tour! http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=2139
\:\)
#786963 - 06/20/03 02:55 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
slacktide Offline

Barstool philosopher

Sounds like a plan, as long as I don't need a boat for it!!
#786964 - 06/20/03 03:18 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread
Timber24 Offline

Slayer and Kreator should open the bill and CRUSH Stryper back into oblivion!

Most problems seem to fade away once you get a solid dose of fish slime under your fingernails.

John from Trumbull
Page 5 of 122 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 121 122 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics