CTF name: Jayhova
Current city: Fairfield
Hometown: Fairfield
Family members: I'm Portuguese so there are too many to name.

1. You've posted a variety of fishing reports from catching steelhead in Pulaski, NY, to big browns at the Saugatuck Reservoir, to stripers and blackfish on the Sound. What is your favorite kind of fishing?
Well that's a tough question because I prefer Salt over fresh but nothing beats Pulaski. There's nothing like drifting a fresh sac through a rip and not knowing if there's a 15lb Brown, Steelie or King waiting to strike it. Striper fishing and Pulaski are really at a tug of war for the top spot.

2. What do you think of the proposed saltwater license?
I think it's a great idea as long as the money was put back into the Saltwater. If it was to be taken and placed into a general fund (which I'm sure it would be) then I'd vote no on the license. I for one would prefer to pay an annual fee for more fish in the years to come but I feel that if a saltwater license was passed that the sound would see a very meager portion of it.

3. If your buddy loses a good fish while fishing with you, do you?
a. Feel bad for him
b. Laugh
c. Try to instruct him on what he did wrong
d. Blame it on his poor knot-tying skills

I always feel bad for him. I get very excited when a fish is on regardless of who's it is. If the line snaps or the fish pops off I tend to get more upset then the person that actually had it on.

4. What favorite fishing tip can you pass along to help anyone catch more and bigger fish of any species?
Honestly, just keep hitting the water and research as much as possible. Can't expect to get the big one or at least a lot of fish if you're not out there. If you are getting out there then try to spend some time on CTF learning a few new things or talking to some more advanced fisherman for some possible tips.

5. It's 10:30 p.m. on a Saturday, where are you?
At that time you will always find me in a nightclub bartending. The money is too good on Saturday night to pass it up.

6. What do you always forget to bring when you go fishing?
I'm way too meticulous to forget anything. I even have a "to-do" list so I make sure not to forget anything. I always make sure to bring my lucky banana too. \:\)

7. What is the smelliest fish guts, rotting bait or dead fish story you have about being involved in fishing?
A quick story came to mind right away on this one. Last year I let my buddy borrow my old boat. He's very careful with everything except for the leaving half a dozen bunker in my livewell by mistake in the middle of June. After about 5 days I went down to the boat and it reeked from 20 feet away. I wondered what it was and found out quickly that it was my boat. I opened the livewell and there were maggots and the most horrendous stench I've ever come across. I mean it stunk worse then the Bush election. Took me about an hour to wash it out before I hit the water. Actually had a good day that outing so I wasn't too upset.

8. What fishing brand has never let you down?
I absolutely love Shimano. Every single reel I have is a Shimano and they have never let me down.

9. When Cabela's opens in CT are you running or walking there, or not even interested?
I'm definitely going to go there within the opening week. I've ordered a few things from their online site and am excited to check out the store.

10. You're into weight training. What advice do you have for anyone of any age looking to start a weight training or exercise program?
Don't get caught up in the marketing aspect of it. All these new fad diets and supplements with their shiny labels are out to make money. There's no easy way out to lose weight and gain muscle. It's all hard work and dedication. Look into an experienced fitness professional for guidance and stay away from GNC.

11. If the world were ending tomorrow, where would you want to go fishing and with who?
I'd have to pick Alaska for some Kings. Me and a couple of my buddies have been talking about that trip for quite some time now and if that were the case, then Alaska here we come.

12. What is your most memorable fishing experience?
I don't know how I remember this but when I was around 10 years old I caught my first big Striper. I was surf fishing with my father at Seaside park during day break and my father was concentrating on catching a keeper and handed me my rod and I set up shop about 10 feet away from him. I cast a sandworm and was sitting there when my rod took off. The fight was on and I still remember my father coaching me through all of it. He let me reel her in all by myself and landed a 38inch Striped Bass.

13. When not out fishing, you can usually be found where?
As of now it's either the gym or school.

14. Do you have any good stories about non-fishermen you've tried to introduce to the sport?
Oh do I! I actually posted this story around this time last year in the Saltwater forum. I took my buddy Mooshy fishing and he has never caught a keeper Striped Bass before. We set out on the boat and I had a Monster Bass on. He's waiting with the net when he gets a rip on his line. He starts fighting his fish while I have about a 30lb. Striper right next to the boat. I told him to net it and he refused saying that he had a big striper on too. His rod was dancing around like Ricky Martin and you could tell it was a blue. After a few seconds he generously tried netting the fish with one hand while holding onto his rod with the other. He tried netting the fish downward instead of scooping him and got the net tangled with the hook hanging in the Stripers mouth. As he pulled the net off to go under the fish he ripped the hook right out and the Cow gladly splashed us as she shot away.

15. What bothers you the most about the state of the fishery in CT?
The main thing that bothers me is the enforcement of limits and sizes. I've seen too many undersized fish kept and read way too many reports about it happening. I have a story that will anger some so I will leave it out to avoid a problem. The gist of the story is that certain officers won't go to certain areas because they say it's high risk. They know how bad undersized Striped Bass are being taken but can't take the chance to go down there all the time. Obviously laws will always be broken but if they were enforced a bit more the fishery would only improve.

16. If you received a PM asking for your spot when you didn't reveal it in your report, how do you handle it?
I almost always tell where I caught fish or close to it in PM's. It's the open board that I try not to talk to openly about because you never know who is reading. You can still help others while protecting your spots.

17. If you won the lottery and where going to throw the ultimate party to celebrate, what band would you hire?
I'd have to say B.O.D. They probably don't sound familiar to anyone here because it's my cousins cover band. They play in some local bars and are actually quite popular. I'd prefer to have my family there playing rather then anyone else.

18. Do have any specific fishing goals for 2007?
I want to set a new Striped Bass and Tog PB. Within the past 2 weeks I set a new CT PB for both Trout and Bass so 2 more would be awesome.

19. What's your favorite time of year for fishing?
By far I'll take the fall over anytime of the year. You can hammer big fish in the sound and then take a ride to Pulaski and land a mixed bag of Monster fish wading in a river. Nothing like catching 20lb. plus fish in a river.

20. What is your favorite part about CTF? What is your least favorite part? How do you feel about the site changing to a paid, private site?
I have to say the pictures, lol. Nothing like looking at some nice fish shared by members when I can't get out there. Even if I can it's nice to see how others are doing. I can't say there is anything I dislike. I'll occasionally see some haters that will call out either a good fish or a lot of fish. You'll get that anywhere you go though. Personally, it's a great idea that this site is going private. It will filter out all the lurkers and the "Nice fish" posters. There will be a more educated and dedicated group of members that will only lead to more fish for all of who join.