Bio
CTF name: DEN
Current city: Newington
Hometown: New Britain
Family members: Widowed-No Children
My Father & Brother along with 2-wonderful nephews and a niece.

1. You have posted a lot of great photography on the site over the years. When and how did you get into photography?
It all started on my honeymoon. My wife Claire and I were honeymooning at St. Johns in the Virgin Islands. One day I hired a fly-fishing guide during our stay. She was more than happy to stroll with us along through the shallows, as I landed my only bonefish she was about totake my picture when the 110-style camera slipped from her hands and landed in the water. I’m not sure who had more a tear going. The next morning she surprised me with a Minolta SRT-101 SLR from the duty free shop.

It was from that moment on I was obsessed with photography. Within a few months I left a great job selling stocks & securities, my heart was with taking pictures and had my first published photo in the New Britain Herald for $10.00. I’ll never forget my mother’s quote “ Six years of college and you made $10 selling a picture, what a jackass”.

Within a year, United Press International hired me as a staff photographer. Now I was traveling the county and trips overseas photographing everything from Superbowls, World Series, World Cup Soccer, Tour de France, Politics, disasters and everything else of world or national interest.

After 18 years of living out of a suitcase it was time to settle down and took a position at The Hartford Courant. I was witnessing the technological advances that were impacting my profession in the way of computers, film scanners and digital cameras. In the early eighties I decided to stay off the beat and settle down to a nice office job. To this day I get to play, purchase and instruct on the all the new and lasted photo and video toys to a very talented staff.

2. Do you have any interesting stories about controversial photo editing incidents in this age of digital photography?
The stories are endless and for the most part tragic. One that comes to mind has to deal with ethics in regards to photojournalism.

As most of you are aware, today we have powerful software programs for digital imaging. First let me say that the competition and pressure of today’s photojournalists is tremendous. Aside from newspapers, many photographers work for agencies that offer their photos to news publications and similar clients. The picture of 20-years ago was captured on film and its value was judged on content and its unique situation. It wasn’t uncommon that one photo could fetch a few thousand dollars for it’s content and usage rights.

Today the temptation of digital manipulation has ruined many a lucrative career. One case I remember not to long ago was a talented young fellow working for L.A. Times. He was on assignment in Iraq and was transmitting these wonderful photos of American troops talking to Iraqi citizens. But somewhere he slipped up, one of his editors noticed a foot sticking out of nowhere and the same person visually located in the single frame standing into two different positions, needless to say he was terminated while on assignment and the paper retracted his photos and wrote a apology to its readers. Sorry to say that his record is now tarnished and will be hard pressed finding another job in the industry. Year-end photo competitions have also driven some photographers to alter their photos. Winning a national contest can pretty much be your ticket to a high paying position.

The PhotoShop software in the newspaper business is used strictly for cropping, re-sizing and color correction for editorial photography.

On the other hand, digital manipulation is fine for advertising and photo illustrations, but not in the world of journalism. Today’s high-end digital cameras are for the most part foolproof. Back when I started, there was no auto-focus, auto exposure, everything was done manually and there was a greater sense of pride in achieving a properly exposed, sharp image when you only had a second to capture the moment, all done manually.

To this day, law enforcement and forensic photography is still captured on film. There’s no need of second guesses in a court of law if you present photographs as evidence.

3. What mistakes do you see inexperienced or young anglers most often make?
Not paying attention and lack of patience. Failing to alter their technique when they think the fish stopped biting. Not doing their homework on the body of water and on the targeted species is often overlooked before they head out. Reading, scouting and being afraid of asking for advise could make all the difference for poor vs. successful day. After 50-years of fishing, I’m still experimenting and asking why.

4. During your lifetime, who has been the most important person in history?
That’s a tough one, probably JFK

5. What do you think about the proposed saltwater license?
I’m not in favor of it. There has to be a clear and definitive benefit that the license will offer. Our state boundary waters are limited as well is our public shorelines. For those of us who fish from boats, most of fishing is outside of Ct. waters. I don’t even understand the concept. Our DEP officers are busy enough, now they to check for licenses?

6. What do you think about ctfisherman.com becoming a paid, private site?
It’s a bold move and I’m all for it. The site can only get better and hopefully eliminate the occasional non-sense; I would think the members would see additional detailed information and additional folks meeting new fishing partners. New techniques along with new bodies of water to fish are to everyone’s benefit.

7. What’s the biggest obstacle you’ve had to overcome in your life?
The passing of my wife Claire, she left at the age of 42.

8. What is your favorite CT body of water to fish and what tips do you have for catching more and bigger fish there?
There’s so many, but at this time of the year I’d have to say Long Island Sound. I have been criticized for going to slow while out on the water. What I am doing is “fishing for fish”, if that makes sense.

For the basics, learn your finder, look for temp breaks, thermal-clines and varying surface conditions. I’m constantly trying to sneak up on something and I always avoid traffic. I like to constantly fish unlikely areas, some of my best fish came from areas that most folks pass by. Keep aware of the tide and bottom terrain. Look for & log the feeding and escape lanes. We all have our own techniques but my most successful has been a stealthy approach with keen eye. But most importantly, be patient.

9. What’s the coolest fishing gadget you own?
My Hat Cam, there a small lipstick video camera set in the visor of the cap, the quality is poor but fun to watch later on.

10. If you’re not out fishing on a weekend morning, you can usually be found where?
In my wood working shop.

11. Do you believe a fisherman can never have enough gear, or do we need to get rid of some of what we own?
We all can probably get rid of half of what we own, I know I can, but why? We all have that justification it will come in handy someday.

12. You seem to have met some younger fishing partners through the site. Tell us how that came about and what it’s like to fish with them.
You noticed huh? It all started a couple of years ago while attending my first CTF Offshore night. While sitting listening to the guest speaker I kept hearing this yapping coming from the bar. Guess Who! Well, after the talk was over I went out to the bar and after a few, we hit it off.

A short time later we headed out on a fishing trip and I have to admit it was breath of fresh air fishing with someone other than my regular (my age) partners. Fishing with someone with more enthusiasm and getting exited as I do when catching a fish, not the usual “got one” from the usual gang. These guys are ready to fish at a moments notice, my kind of crew.

My regular fishing partners always were late, backing out at the last minute or they had to be home early for family functions or just got tired and wanted to head in. At times I enjoy being out from sunrise to sunset and really enjoy having a bunch of laughs in between.

These guys keep me going although it’s tough at times to keep up with them, I’m not talking about the fishing part.

I still fish with regulars. I have too admit I’m in decent shape for my age and as long as I’m able I’m going to fish as hard and often as I can. I’m sure being single has a lot to do with it, but I do spend a lot of time with my family members. My nephews already have me booked for half the summer.

13. What would you do to solve the traffic problems in our state?
This state is way over populated. I would ask businesses to alter their time schedules for their employees, even if it was a half an hour either way, this would stagger the traffic more evenly. Our mass-transit system is weak, but in all honesty, people like to drive so I would say we’re stuck at our current condition.

14. What is your most memorable fishing experience?
It was a 10-day fishing trip to Alaska. Three days of fly fishing in the backwater feeder streams and three days of fishing for Halibut.

15. In 10 years, how do you think the fishing will be in CT?
I fear for the saltwater species unless something drastically changes. I feel the striped bass population will diminish somewhat under the current lenient regulations of commercial herring and menhaden harvesting.

As for the fresh water hopefully it will remain the same or improve as I’ve witnessed cleaner water in our lakes and streams along with increased C&R practices over the years.

16. If the DEP called you into a meeting for your top 3 ideas to improve the fishery, what would they be?
Poachers-2nd offensive, banned for life.

Increase the fines for any and all infractions.

Seriously meet with surrounding states and standardize all saltwater regulations.

17. What non-fishing destination would you love to visit in the world?
China

18. Describe your perfect dinner menu?
A big charbroiled hamburger with a slice of Bermuda onion, lettuce and tomato and a 16oz cold one, followed by a 20MG Lipitor.

19. If you owned no fishing equipment and you were given $100 to walk into a tackle store to buy what you need to catch as many species as possible in CT (both fresh & salt), what would you buy?
A medium spinning combo, braided line, leader material, a jig, a spinner bait, a jerkbait, a top water, some sinkers and circle hooks.

20. Better to have lost in love or never to have loved at all?
No doubt, “To have lost in Love”