CTF Name: RobertV
Family Members: Wife Judy, daughters Christine and Jo-Ann, grandkids Grace and Michael
Current City: Shelton
Hometown: Small town in Romania

1. You grew up in Romania, living off the land. Describe what that was like.
In a nutshell, it was tough. My childhood was very rough, almost non-existent. I left home at age 10 and settled in with one of my Grandfathers, who never married. I grew up under his wing, working the land and taking care of our small farm, which included cows, sheep, chickens and so on. We depended entirely on our crops and animal products, for food and other basic needs. However, we had to share everything with the now defunct communist government. We had land that changed hands for many generations, but we were only allowed to keep it in exchange for half of our crop production , regardless of what it was. Corn, vegetables, wheat and so on.

We grew mostly vegetables, such as tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, cucumbers and so on. We had 10 acres of corn also. But we were the ones who did the work from start to finish. The government was only interested in the end product, and it was the rule of the land.

We had about five acres of grape vines, out of which we managed to squeeze some 600 quarts of red wine per year. This was invaluable, as you can imagine, and perhaps the only product not shared with the government.

I was a busy young man. Working the land, taking care of business at home, going to the market to sell some products, going to school and of course, fishing. My grandfather was a fisherman, but not for recreational purposes. He fished for one purpose, and that was to put some food on the table, something different for a change.

But he passed away two years later, and this is when I became a man so to speak. I was forced to take care of everything by myself, and it was overwhelming. My days started at 3:30 a.m. and ended after sunset, 6 days a week. Sunday was Church day and the only time when I could relax and hit the only “store” in the village, which was nothing more than a bar, where everyone was meeting each Sunday.

I learned to make everything from scratch. Bread, cheese, sausages and so on. I even knitted my own socks for Christ’s sake! I had no choice. The big City stores were empty.

I managed to handle all of the above tasks, graduate from high school and served in the military for 2 years. After which I left my native Country in search for freedom, leaving the entire property to one of my cousins and his wife.

Tough years, but very useful down the road, as they transformed me from a kid into an adult very quickly. I learned to appreciate things, respect others, trust my instinct, work hard and be responsible. Not to mention being generous.

I have many memories, some good but mostly bad ones. Many stories, many events, which I tried to forget, but couldn’t. None the less, they are part of me, and helped shape my future in many ways.

2. What are some of the valuable lessons you learned while growing up there?
I struggled to make ends meet from a very young age. I learned how to be modest, responsible, to respect the land and its resources, be kind and generous to others and so on. But most of all, I learned how to be a man.

3. When did you come to the U.S.? Would you say you have a greater appreciation for life in the U.S. because of where you were born and raised?
I first emigrated to Canada, where I lived for 8 years, after which I arrived here. It was around 1986 I believe. I’ve never returned to Romania, nor do I have the intention to do so.

I don’t take anything for granted. I have a tremendous respect for what God gave us. I am grateful for becoming what I am today. It may not seem much to others, but it means everything to me. No one really knows what I can do and who I really am. Perhaps only my wife, but I doubt she knows everything.

4. What are some of the species of fish that are caught for sport and food in Romania?
There’s no such thing as sport fishing in Romania. Not even now. We fished out of need. Even today, when the stores and markets are full of products, the vast majority of folks cannot afford to buy the goods. So they are kind of back to square one. It was much better when the stores were empty. You didn’t have to make the trip. Today, most working class citizens can only look and dream. So they are still trying to use most of the natural resources.

The number one sought after fish species is Carp, followed by Pike, catfish and Zander (the European cousin of the walleye). All of the above species are abundant in many lakes, and extremely abundant in the Danube’s Delta region. Those are all products of nature, as no one bothers stocking fish. Strong year classes and low commercial harvesting have helped sustain a strong pike and zander population.

I’ve seen pike that surpassed 42 pounds, zanders over 22 pounds and so on. Carp are huge as you can imagine. The above are not just exceptions, they are quite common, but go unnoticed because folks are consuming them. No records are being kept, except a picture here and there, for bragging purposes. After all, everything ends up in the oven.

5. What is the best piece of fishing advice you ever received?
To be patient and confident. Those two things were inherited from my grandfather. However, I couldn’t write something without mentioning Buck and Bob O. I had to deal with a tremendous amount of information, assimilate every bit of it and put it to good use. Fishing is different here, not even close to what I was used to. Buck showed me the ropes, and Bob provided me with advice from a biological standpoint. So I combined the two aspects into one, big picture. And I started to improve on them, by trying different variations and tactics.

None the less, I still have quite a bit to learn. My casting “method” needs improvement. Just ask Buck, he’ll tell you all about it.

6. What jobs have you had in the last few years that led you to your current job as a long distance trucker?
I was part of a SWAT unit in Canada as a sharpshooter. I’ve always been an auto technician. I only worked for two GM Dealers in 20 plus years combined. All that ended after I hurt my back a year and a half ago. This is when I was drawn into the trucking business. Not to mention that I get to see different parts of the Country and sometime have a chance to fish in a place that otherwise I could only dream of. One example was Lake Erie’s Sandusky Bay. The trips were planned in a manner that allowed me to fish the spring walleye run up the Sandusky and Maumee Rivers in Ohio and Michigan.

7. How far do you travel and what kind of loads do you haul?
I used to do OTR runs, but I was transferred to the Northeast region for obvious reasons. I haul beer for the Anheuser-Busch account. 48-49,000 pounds per load, not including weight of rig.

8. Have you seen the series “Ice Road Truckers” on The History Channel? Would you ever take on that kind of work?
Sorry to say, but that show is quite far from reality. The danger is great, but the drivers are exaggerating in almost every aspect. After all, it is a show. People are different when there’s a camera involved. Plus they get paid for it, and the more dramatic the show is, the better.

Sure, if needed, I would and could do the same thing you see on TV. The money is good, although they can only do it for about 3 months, after which they have to return to the open road. In a nutshell, I am not thrilled nor impressed by this show at all.

Bob with daughter Christine after graduating from UNH.

9. The 2004 CT Angler's Guide featured a picture of your daughter, Christine, on the cover holding an 8.24-lb. walleye she caught at Squantz Pond. Who was more excited about that, you or her?
I was the happy one. She was sick at the time, plus she didn’t quite know how to appreciate such a catch, until later, when she realized what really happened. She was actually making fun of me at the time, because earlier I came up with an 17-inch walleye, which made mine look like bait compared to hers.

None the less, it was her fish, and she gratefully donated it to one of her best friends.
I didn’t tell her about DEP’s intention to have her picture published, until the Guide appeared. When it did, I picked up some 10 copies. She was extremely surprised and excited at the same time. I was proud of her, more so because it was her first walleye and her first trip to Squantz.

10. Describe some of the work you’ve done with the CT DEP.
Over the years, I participated in some activities which included electrofishing, trap netting, some surveys and record keeping. I’ve witnessed many interesting things and what really goes on behind the scenes. Most folks would be surprised at the amount of effort, commitment and dedication of the entire DEP staff. I only worked with Western District, and mostly on larger lakes. Don’t forget, I had a full-time job, and the electrofishing sessions can sometimes go well past midnight.

A large walleye from a night of electrofishing.

11. What are some things you think people don’t know about the DEP and the work they do?
Most folks think of DEP as an entity. But this is an organization that employs people with character and devotion. I know most of the guys, but from a different angle. As friends.

You cannot label someone as being bad or ignorant until you get to know the person. Many folks have their own agendas and ideas, and sometimes are just plain selfish when requesting something that DEP considers inaccurate or inadequate. There are many variables involved before a lake, for example, could be considered for stocking a new species of fish. People seem to forget the basics, and most of the time, their demands and requests do not and cannot meet the specifications required by DEP. Therefore the mistrust that tends to build up between fishermen and the entire department.

Did I mention the shortage of CO’s? Guess not. The politicians are too busy attending to their lobbyists and making sure that DOT has enough money put aside to allow for planting of trees along the Merritt Parkway!

Tony Pertillo of the CT DEP on a walleye outing with Bob at Lake Saltonstall.

12. What is the biggest walleye you’ve ever caught in CT? Do you remember how, when and where you caught it?
It was a frigid and windy night at Squantz. I was ice fishing around 2 am when the fish hit. I only had a pole with a small box of spoons and jigs and whatever else I could fit in my pockets. No sled, no shanty. And of course, the auger.

She was 12 pounds 6 ounces on my digital scale. Came up after about 10 minutes. She took a Northland Rattling spoon with a stinger hook, tipped with a frozen crawler.

13. What are some of your top tips for landing a big walleye in Connecticut?
Patience and confidence. Improving on known techniques and methods is extremely important also. Assimilating and using every piece of information is probably the most important thing.

14. You’ve had some instances of frost bite from extended ice-fishing outings. First, how are you doing with that? Any lingering affects? What advice do you have for fellow ice-fishermen to protect themselves from the cold?
Frost bite is not something to be taken lightly. My right hand fingers cannot handle temperatures below 45-50 degrees anymore, especially when wet. Numbness strikes first, then the inability to use the fingers. Needless to say, I have a very hard time rigging up and rebaiting in the winter, ice fishing or not. Even if I’m next to a heat source or wear gloves with hand warmers, the symptoms return as soon as my hand hits the water.

I guess the most important thing to protect yourself would be proper and dry clothing. More so, a good, warm hat will prevent heat from escaping your body, and this is something that most people are forgetting.
Of course, you can always carry another important item. A bottle of brandy or scotch.

15. When were you diagnosed with Lyme disease and do you know how you contracted it? How are you doing with it now? What advice do you have for others to avoid it?
I have no clue when I got sick. For 2 years I tested negative and all of a sudden, one of the last tests came back positive, at which point I already suffered neurological damage. Not to mention the joint pain and overall weakness.

I never fully recovered, as some damage is permanent. I’m still weak at times and still taking medication.

I suppose I got it while working in my garden at home, since I seldom wear shoes when doing so. It’s a habit.

Not sure about advice, since I’m not a Doctor. But proper clothing should help in reducing the chances of contracting the disease, especially when walking around the woods.

16. Is there a species of fish you’ve never caught but would like to?
Not really, because I am not quite interested in any other species except walleyes. Anything else would be a bycatch. I may sound selfish, but none the less, it is the truth.

I have mixed opinions about saltwater fishing. I enjoy the company, but rarely tried my best. That happened once, while Jon A and I were out cod fishing.

I will never cross into the dark side, as some of you call it.

17. What is your most memorable fish that got away story?
Last year, after trimming the weeds at Saltonstall, I took the boat for a ride and trolled for a while. Hooked a fish that ran back into the weeds. I had to put the outboard in reverse to actually pry the creature out. I dragged it mid-lake, just to make sure, after which I netted and placed it on the bow platform. I measured it at 31.5 inches. Turned around to get the camera and I heard a sound that I didn’t really wanted to hear at that point. A splash. The fish jumped off the platform into the lake, broke the leader and took off with the lure hanging it its lower jaw. I was upset, but only because I was afraid that this fish wouldn’t be able to survive by not being able to feed with a Shad Rap stuck in its mouth.

BTW, we electroshocked quite a few such large specimens at Saltonstall, so it isn’t just another story.

18. What kind of music do you enjoy?
Mostly oldies. My favorite group is Genesis, thus Phil Collins is my favorite artist. Bee Gees, The Police/Sting, Steely Dan are some of the other groups I like. Did I mention Jazz?

19. If you could take a dream vacation with your family, where would you most like to go?
I really don’t know. I’m not the type who enjoys vacations. Not sure why, but I’ve always been this way. I usually stick around the house and spend my time fishing in my time off.

20. You took a hiatus from CTF for a while, what made you decide to leave and what made you come back?
Not sure. Perhaps it was a form of protest. Perhaps I was just angry with the way things were. Too many folks were turning legitimate posts into heated debates which were completely off-topic. I took some heat for a while, but my replies were always professional. After a while I just couldn’t take it, so I left. It wasn’t the right thing to do, I could have simply ignored what was happening, but some issues hit too close to comfort. Instead of making a fool out of myself and unleash my anger in public, I decided to cancel my membership. I came back after I had a chance to think things over.