CTF Name: STRIPMINER
Current location: Greenwich, CT
Family: Wife, Sharon, Thomas (6), Lindsay (4)

1. Where does your screen name "Stripminer" come from?
"Stripminer" is a hunting nickname I earned from a friend who has since passed on at an all too early age. My friend Pete Calo dubbed me the "stripminer" after a particularly good hunting year when I killed every deer that walked by me. On a truck ride back after hunting with Leadpipe and I, Pete accused me of "depleting Mother Nature of her natural resources" and then said "This dude is a stripminer!" Pete, sadly died about 12 years ago while in his thirties from non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. He was a funny and observant guy, who is missed.

10-pointer.

2. How long have you been a police officer, and what got you interested in that kind of work?
I have been a police officer for just over 18 years now. I never had the calling to law enforcement until I was about 18 years old and a friend got a summer job working as a “Summer Special” with the Greenwich Police Department (my hometown). He worked at the local beaches and we saw him whenever we went swimming, it looked like a cool job and I got hired the next summer. I went on to graduate college with a business degree but I started taking police exams. I was hired as a police officer in 1989, basically right out of my Alma Mater; CCSU.

3. As a police officer, you've surely encountered some very nice people, as well as some bad people. Tell us a memorable experience about dealing with each kind of person.
People for the most part are good. Some commit crimes due to poverty or addictions but some simply do not have a belief system and lack any morals or conscience.

I was a young patrolman when I was assigned to transport two men to the Stamford Courthouse for arraignment. The night before they had been at bachelor party, one was actually the groom to be. They had decided to do copious amounts of Cocaine and drink to excess. During the course of the evening they kidnapped a young woman, took her to a cemetery and took turns raping her. They wore my handcuffs that I still carry today during their last ride on a public street for the next 25 years.

I have also met several people through my job that simply have blown me away with their generosity and big hearts. People have brought us cupcakes on 9/11, they drop off Yankee tickets if they can’t make a game, sometimes people will bring a platter of shrimp by the PD on Christmas eve to feed the guys and girls stuck on that shift. One man I know offered to help an officer financially after she was injured in the line of duty. Fortunately that was unnecessary but he was prepared to help her get back on her feet if need be. While others might have wanted recognition, he insisted upon complete anonymity.

4. Have you ever had to draw your gun in the line of duty?
I have drawn my gun in the line of duty but have never fired it other than to dispatch an injured animal. Of the times I have "cleared leather" it was preventative, to keep a potentially dangerous suspect covered until we took control of them.

5. What is one of the most prevalent crimes people commit that you shake your head at and still can't believe?
Drunk driving. If you like to kill a few beers on the dock that’s OK but to go out guzzling shots of booze and drink all night to then get into a car and “make it home” is unconscionable. Part of my duties is handling fatal motor vehicle accidents. Of the numerous accidents I have investigated that resulted in a person’s death most involved alcohol. I am by no means a tea-totaler but be responsible when you drink. I am one of the guys who has to meet with the families at the hospital and during the days following a fatal accident. You don’t want to be the guy who killed someone or got killed due to being loaded behind the wheel. Believe me it tears the surviving family apart emotionally.

6. Do you have any "dumb criminal" stories you can share?
Dumb criminals, Hmm. There are plenty of stories about bank robbers leaving their wallets behind. We had a burglar leave his license at a crime scene once. We are currently working on a case where a guy stole a ladies purse from her car. He is soon to be arrested, his take that day was two bucks. Most criminals are stupid or lazy. It is much easier and more profitable to get a real job.

7. When did you start hunting, and what do you enjoy most about it?
I started bowhunting in 1994 when site member Leadpipe got me into the sport. He took the time to teach me how to shoot a bow and took me to his personal best hunting spots. I think I enjoy the absolute challenge of fooling a Whitetail Deer, especially a mature one. I also enjoy the peace that only sitting about 15 feet off the ground as the sun rises can bring. Watching the woods come to life is amazing. I have actually had Hawks land within 3 feet of me and small song birds land on my arrow. It is like being one with nature. ( corny huh? )

8. What advice do you have for someone just looking to get into hunting who wants to be successful in his first season?
I have been known to say that the kill does not define the hunt. Every new hunter should embrace this concept. As hunters we are bombarded with Big Buck this and Big Buck that. I advise that you let all that go, enjoy learning about your quarry. Learn by doing, get in the woods. Spend time watching deer as they interact. The kill is, in many ways, anti-climatic. It is the end of a creature’s life and it deserves reverence. If you can relate to this mind set then hunting is for you.

Technically, pay attention to scent control and movement while on stand. Most importantly, be prepared when a shot opportunity arises. Be certain to be quick and humane with your weapon of choice. Hunting has many critics, each of us owes it to the sport and the deer to be efficient. Don’t give the anti’s any ammunition. In a word, PRACTICE.

9. What is one of your most memorable hunting experiences?
While I have several memories of hunting there is one particular morning that stands out in my mind. I was hunting alone in Darien one morning. It was Halloween morning, a great day to be on stand. I got in very early and the woods were deadly quiet and dark that day. On my way in I actually smelled the musk of a buck.

As the black of night faded to grey I decided to rattle for a buck. I banged the horns hard and furiously. Immediately a deer RAN into my area and practically skidded to a stop right in front of me. The only problem was it was still too dark to see him. After a few minutes he ambled away. My head was spinning, how big was he? I wondered. I waited a few more minutes and banged away at the horns again. Once more a deer, presumably the same one, RAN back and stopped before me. While I could see him better, it was still too dark to shoot. Again he walked away after a while.

This time I waited until I was sure it was bright enough to legally shoot a deer. I rattled like a madman and for a third time this buck, one ran back to me and stopped 10 yards in front of me. He was young and I had no intention of shooting him. I watched the deer as he looked for his adversary when a weird feeling came over me. My sixth sense told me to look over my shoulder and there HE was. A HUGE nine pointer had snuck in behind me. Unlike his young cousin, this deer cautiously answered the call. There is more to the story but the nine point made the mistake of stopping in a shooting lane at 23 yards. He made a beautiful shoulder mount.

Halloween 9 pointer. 220 lbs. dressed.

10. Is there a dream hunting trip you would like to take?
My dream hunting trip involves a trip to the Midwest with Leadpipe and our friend Sam. We all love hunting and the camaraderie of hunting in a camp would be great. I think it would be Iowa or Illinois that I would choose. My other dream hunt involves my next November morning in my favorite treestand when the bucks are cruising. You really don’t have to travel the globe for dream hunts, the conditions only need to be right.

11. Tell us a funny story about being a parent of two young children.
The funniest thing about being a parent to two small children is hearing the things they say. One time my daughter Lindsay recited the "Pledge of Allegiance" when she was three years old (she is four now). Instead of "Liberty and Justice for all," Lindsay proclaimed "Delivery and justice for all!" Priceless! My son Thomas who is six has come out with some beauties himself too.

12. Is there a hunting or fishing story of the "one that got away" that still haunts you?
I have two cousins Tina and Terry. Two years ago I took their husbands fishing on my boat for Stripers. Link to report. Well Jeff and Derek had a fantastic morning with lots of fish three of them over 20 lbs. Derek (Tina’s husband) was holding my luckiest of rods when it went off in a gigantic way. Line peeled from the reel as Derek stood there, his eyes wide saying “ Tommy, what do I do ? “ over and over. I didn’t have the heart to wrestle the rod away and the line simple went “Ping!” and broke off. I am willing to bet that was the 50 lb striper we all search for. I would love to have been the one holding the rod that morning at that particular time.

13. What is one of the most frustrating things about fluke fishing? What is one of the most rewarding things?
Fluke fishing has proven to be completely frustrating to me. I have invested money, time and effort to this sport with little to show for it. I have read Bob Sampson’s book (which is very well written) but the elusive flat toothy boys have been scarce for me. I have caught some quality fish including a six-pounder this past summer but I am not very good at it. The frustration lies in being at the mercy of the wind and tide. You can’t always fish for fluke, the conditions have to be right. The reward is obviously overcoming a new challenge when you do tie into them and of course the supper that evening is fantastic.

14. You're a newer CTF moderator, but have been on the site since 2004. What do you think about the private site?
I personally like the private site better. It certainly has less people contributing but I think the quality greatly outweighs the former numbers. The people onboard today are more civil and I think much more informative. You don’t see as many “glory” posts as you once did. I also have found more and better info on the private site. Being a Mod is certainly easier with our current group.

15. Do you have a funny story about taking a non-fisherman out on your boat?
One time I took my friends Bill and Bob out for stripers. Both of them are not fishermen by any measure. We had brought chips and a few beers. During the course of the afternoon Bob had 2 or 3 beers and mother nature came calling. Well Robert could not pee off of the boat to save his life. The gentle roll of the boat combined with a severe case of "stage fright" had set in. It was hilarious watching him prepare mentally then to fail physically when he stepped to the transom. I still break his chops about it today.

16. What did you learn from your experience of fishing near "Phil"? Link to fishing report.
Ah yes the Phil report. I learned that position can be everything when fishing. Phil sat in just the right spot that evening and we got to see quite a show. I think Phil was an aberration like some people suggested in the post. I also learned that Mitch can frown with the best of them. It was too funny.

17. What kind of music do you enjoy?
I am very eclectic when it comes to music. I have XM radio and my stations are Country, Alternative, and Eighties. I like to stay current so I listen to some of the “hit stations” too. I really don’t want to be pegged into one category musically because there is so much to enjoy. I listen to Jazz when I cook and sometimes I like a sappy ballad type tune. ( Sorry Pantera fans ) I do know what I can’t stand. I can’t stand radio stations that beat the hell out of classic tunes. No one is supposed to hear “Sympathy for the Devil” five times a day. It totally ruins a great song. (are you listening 95.9?)

18. Who has passed away that you miss the most in your life?
I think I miss my mom's father, my grandfather Sylvio. He was from Italy and he treated me like a man from an early age. He would let me and my brother Kevin have a Shaefer beer with him after we cut his lawn. He wanted to leave his estate to the two of us, being the only males of his bloodline. He loved us and like I said, treated me like a man, I do miss him.

19. What goes through your mind while waiting in a tree stand?
Everything and anything. Work, play, sex, dinner, deer, food, I have to pee, deer, food, sex, deer, where are the deer, what if all the deer in Fairfield County walked by in line, starting with the smallest to the largest, my legs hurt, half an hour more, where are the deer, food, work, I hate squirrels...

Then there are the other times when I can allow my mind to release, I can sit there using my ears as much as my eyes. I allow my senses to take over and my brain to work at a different level. I forget all about my normal life and absorb the woodlot. It is then that I am hunting most efficiently and enjoying my time afield the most.

20. Tell us a funny or embarrassing story about site member LeadPipe.
John has to be one of the best people I have ever met in my life. He has a way of making you realize what is important and what is to be forgotten. I can honestly say that I trust him with things that I would trust no one else with. Except one thing.
A new fishing rod. As much as John ( Leadpipe) got me into hunting I got him into fishing. When he was new to boats and rods and reels we were fishing on my boat. ( He now owns my old boat) I had purchased a rod that morning, it was brand new. We fished all day and we were docked up. John was handing me tackle and such over the transom. My head was down when all I heard was “ Uhhhhhh!” SPLOOSH. Yep, brand new rod reel line,, on the bottom. We fished it back up but it sure was funny to see the look on his face.