CTF name: Jimbo (formerly Jimbo1)
Current city: Ridgefield, CT
Hometown: Pleasantville, NY
Family members: Kathleen (Wife), Matthew (son age 5), Alex (son age 3)

1. You were one of the last members to complete the moderating team. What differences have you seen since the site went private?
It sure has become much easier for the moderators, almost boring at times. I now get excited when someone posts in the wrong forum and I get a chance to move it. It sure got rid of 99% of the b.s.

2. Tell us about your kids. What's it like being a father?
My kids keep me busy. I haven’t been out fishing or hunting nearly as much as I would like, but the tradeoff is that it can be a lot of fun at times watching them grow up. However, there are times when I was elbow deep in diaper residue where I was thinking what in the world did I get myself in to? It’s also amazing how babies seem to get nauseous from the smell of a new shirt. I’m hoping it will get a bit easier when the get older.

3. What hunting/fishing plans do you have for your kids?
I started my oldest son fishing for sunny’s at age 3. This summer I had them both out a handful of times fishing at a pond in VT. They usually end up spending 10 minutes fishing and the rest of the hour trying to catch frogs, but at least it gets us some family time together.

4. What are some of the things you have seen or done at your Vermont cabin that you never experience here in CT?
Vermont has a totally different mindset when it comes to hunting in that it is much more part of the lifestyle up there. You don’t feel out of place walking around in camo clothing, but in CT, if you walk into a gas station or deli wearing camo, you get that look as if they are expecting you to go postal on them. There have been a few early mornings before a hunt when I walked into a gas station or convenience store where I believe the clerk needed a change of under-britches.

5. Is it okay to shoot a grouse out of a tree?
Alright, someone’s been talking. In October, I was up in Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom hunting “pa-tridge” with Bonasaman (Kevin), his beautiful chocolate lab Joker, and his friend Paul. It was only about the 3rd time I’ve gone grouse hunting and had yet to bag one. We were busting some seriously thick brush for hours with only a couple of flushes and no birds in the bag yet. I then inquired about the proper grouse hunting etiquette as to what happens if you see one in a tree. The response was that many old time grouse hunters find them so challenging and weary, that they will get them any way they can: in a tree, on the road, or with a car. About an hour later we had a double flush. Kevin, Paul and Joker went to chase down one bird, while I tried to mark the other. I went into the woods a little ways and low and behold, he was sitting in the tree. By this time it was toward the end of a long day and we had logged many miles trying for these winged rockets. I said what the heck and let him have it. I was not overly proud of it, but it did break the ice and net me my 1st grouse. My future ones will be on the wing.

6. How did you get into turkey hunting? What is one of your most memorable hunts?
I grew up going deer hunting with my dad in the Catskills. Every opening day my dad would take me out of school to go claiming I would get a better education out in the woods. I think that was just his way to justify yanking me out of class. I really enjoyed being out in the woods and seeing deer, but I was never a big fan of venison and I certainly didn’t have the stomach to field dress and butcher them. I shot about a half dozen deer over the years and every one I would ask my dad to show me just one more time how to gut them.

I stopped hunting all together in my early 20’s as I was pursuing other interests. About 6 years ago I got the hunting bug again, but wanted to try something other than deer. I went to a hunting and fishing expo in Springfield, MA and ran into Keith (KWK) who was guiding for turkeys. I went out with him one bright and very early May morning. Although I did not get a bird that 1st year, the adrenaline rush from calling a turkey and having them answer you back got me hooked.

My most memorable hunt was about 4 years ago in Vermont. I went on a spring hunt with a friend and this was the 1st time I tried to call on my own. We went to a couple of different places early without hearing any gobblers. Finally we went to a new area down a recently logged road. About 10 feet from the car I let out a soft yelp and was immediately answered by a gobbler. Being such a newbie and not realizing how close and how hot he was, I was busted by the bird, who came in running, while I took my sweet time setting up. A short time later I called in slightly different area and was greeted by two separate gobblers. Again, being such a newbie, I totally set up wrong and also overcalled, but was so excited to have them respond to every one of my calls. Finally they came in, but not where I had expected them. They ended up coming in about 20 feet behind me! I couldn’t move a muscle for fear of spooking them. I was laying down in a culvert on the side of a logging road for about 10 minutes listening to them strut and gobble just behind me. Finally, they moved off a bit and my friend managed a fleeing shot without any luck. I then realized I’ve got a lot to learn about these weary birds.

7. What kind of music do you enjoy?
I grew up listening to classic rock such as Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Rush, Van Halen and then heavy metal and the 80’s hair bands. I loved Iron Maiden, Triumph, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Dokken, Rainbow, Dio, etc… I even had a mullet going (I would tuck it in behind my collar) in my early years of corporate life in my attempt at non-conformity with the corporate lifestyle. I later decided I likely money more than long hair. In the 90’s I was into the Seattle/grunge sound of Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam. I think now I finally reached the generation gap with modern music in that I can’t stand much of the hip hop and rap of today. I’m a bit embarrassed to admit it, but currently I find myself listening to a lot of the “Coffee House” music such as Shawn Colvin, Jack Johnson, Goo Goo Dolls, etc… These are only the artists that I will admit to (there are even more “girly” artists that I plead the 5th about!). If only my mullet headed, painted album covers on back of denim jackets, leather spiked friends from the 80’s, could see me now. I still love the fist shaking music at times, but I guess I am mellowing out a bit with age.

Matthew with a trout he caught.

8. The wife says... "Okay Jim, you have to choose between fishing, turkey hunting, pheasant hunting, and waterfowl hunting. Which is it going to be?" What do you say?
As of this moment, I would probably say fishing, which ironically, is the thing I have done the least the past couple of years. I would choose this because I can do it with my boys at an earlier age than hunting. Then I would condition the kids to pester mommy ever waking moment to allow us to go hunting as well. I think between the three of us nagging we can beat her into submission eventually, although it will probably require a new piece of jewelry.

9. Describe your dream fishing and hunting trips or destinations.
I am absolutely dying to go to Alaska for salmon and halibut fishing. I have been trying to put a crew of friend together for a couple of years now, but they either have no time or money. I need some new friends.

I would also like to go to the Midwest for a pheasant hunt as well.

Jimbo with a spring tom.

10. What is the most challenging animal you have hunted? What is the most challenging fish you have gone after?
I would have to say the most challenging animal to hunt for me is the turkey. The most challenging to shoot for me are ducks. I did a lot of target (rifle) shooting growing up and consider myself a pretty good shot with a rifle, but this whole wingshooting thing has helped me learn a few new curse words.

The most challenging fish to me is a keeper striped bass. I just got into salt fishing about 3 or 4 years ago. I have caught countless numbers of schoolies, many of them measuring 27-3/4", but have only landed a handful of keepers.

11. Who taught you the most about hunting? Who taught you the most about fishing?
My dad taught me a lot about deer hunting and I think we were fairly successful hunting in areas that didn’t have the huge deer densities that some places have today. KWK probable taught me the most about turkey hunting. I would pick his brain to the point of being annoying each time we went out. Most of the other hunting I sort of taught myself from books and trial and error. Mostly error. I still have much much to learn.

As far as fishing, I would certainly credit my dad for that as well. I spent many weekends of my youth fishing the NYC reservoirs (mostly Pepacton and Cross River) at the expense of playing little league.

12. What fishing technique would you like to most improve on?
I was pretty heavy into fly fishing for trout about 10 years ago but have hardly picked up the rods since then. I was horrible with entomology and my casting was suspect, but I kept to the basic patterns and still managed to catch a decent amount of fish. I would like to renew this pastime as well as branching it out into the salt water for stripers and blues as well.

13. What is your most memorable fishing experience?
When I was about 12 years old, my dad and I drove out to Jackson Hole Wyoming in a van. When I 1st saw the Teton Mountains I thought it was the most spectacular place I’ve ever seen. We stayed at a campground in Teton National park and fished a bunch of the lakes and rivers, but spent most of our time on Jenny Lake. Just about every day I would catch my limit of cutthroats and mackinaw trout. Fishing at the base of these huge peaks with their reflections on the water was just an awesome experience. We ended up spending about 3 weeks there and returned again for about 7 consecutive years.

I haven’t been back since 1982, but as soon as my kids are a bit older, I can’t wait to take them there. Hopefully, it hasn’t changed too much.

14. What is your most memorable hunting experience?
When I was 16 I was finally legal to carry a gun to hunt deer. We were hunting a farm in Walton, NY and I was able to harvest a doe with my Winchester 70 30-06. After many years of tagging along with my father and watching him carry the gun and take the shots, I felt like a big shot carrying my own gun.

15. Are there any times when a sense of humor has saved a hunting or fishing trip from being a complete disaster?
That’s a tough question. I can’t really say that any trip has even come close to being a disaster. Having said that, there have been a few times when the action has been slow, or the shooting was off. I love the camaraderie and ball busting when someone misses an easy shot or screws something else up. I’m usually a bit reserved when I am hunting with a new person the 1st couple of times. After that, a little good natured ribbing is in order, and I can bust balls with the best of them.

16. What is one of your favorite recipes for fish or game?
I’m a very picky eater and usually don’t try anything too exotic. One of my favorite meals is simply battering flounder or fluke in eggs and Italian breadcrumbs and frying in olive oil. Simple, boring, but oh so good.

17. If you could enact three new hunting laws for CT, what would they be?
Hmmm, this has me thinking a bit. There is one clear cut answer, but the other two may be a bit lame.

I think 1st and foremost would be to allow Sunday hunting. There are many hard working people who can’t take time off during the week and therefore are limited to just Saturdays.

The 2nd would be to allow for the purchase of both private and public turkey permits during the spring. There are occasions where your private land deal that you thought was a secured falls through at the last minute. It would be nice to have the flexibility of hunting either areas.

I think that it would also be nice to have the ability to shoot coyotes during turkey season. It has not happened to me personally, but I have heard a lot of stories of coyotes coming in to turkey calls. I know it’s a safety thing, but I don’t see much of a problem if a hunter has a clear view of a coyote and takes him out.

18. What do you think about the proposed saltwater license?
I usually try to stay away from political issues. I would have no problem purchasing a separate license if the revenues would go back to the fisheries programs. From reading through the many pages of the thread earlier this year, it would seem that this money would be spent elsewhere.

What I would like to see is some sort of boat license in that I have had friends coming from other states early in the morning to fish on my boat. It would be a pia to have to worry about getting them licenses.

19. What is the coldest, most miserable weather you have hunted or fished in?
I remember deer hunting in a snowstorm when I was about 12. Back then I didn’t have a great understanding about layering or having cotton next your skin. I remember the wind was howling and blowing in my face and thinking this wasn’t hunting, it was surviving. My father kept telling me that it was the type of weather the deer move in and if we wanted to see a big buck, we had to stick it out. I eventually convinced him to build a fire which warmed me up a bit. Surprisingly, we still saw several deer that seemed oblivious to the smell of the smoke.

20. What one thing would you like to do before you die?
I think an Alaska fishing trip/cruise through Glacier Bay is high on my list. Also, mud wrestling with Angelina Jolie and Jessica Simpson. That would probably be the last thing I did before I died at the hands of my wife. Good thing she doesn’t go on this website or know much about guns.

CTF member Falcon (left) Jimbo after a goose hunt.