ctfisherman.com logo
Page 17 of 18 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#587795 - 11/24/05 10:48 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
jimmy Offline

I think the DEP guys put a lot of time into making in the plans and look at anglers concern. I copied the links in from the end of the previous page:

ideas behind tropy lakes by DEP
http://www.dep.state.ct.us/burnatr/fishing/fishinfo/bassbroc.pdf

here is the dEP bass managment plan. This is a really good read as it talks about what goes behind the limits
http://www.dep.state.ct.us/burnatr/fishing/geninfo/bassplan.pdf

Is it just for conservation that the fish are released? .. or do people just not want to eat them with all the heatlh problems associated with them? Alot of the poor dont care, but how many of them are really reaching their limits anyway? Basically teh manageemtn plan above says that few anglers reach their creel limit anyway but they did show that 1% of people kept their limit in 87'. I do think that number will be more lower today due to Hg problems... ahh ... wasting time, its an interesting read though. Anyway, Ill just say i do support more limits but have no problem if people keep their limit of fish to eat as i have faith in the DEP guys to make a good decision on optimum yeild that represents the CT angler.
Fishing Info
#587796 - 11/25/05 12:39 AM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Bass Rebel Offline

Loc: Watertown, CT
Chris, I've kept 6 fish the whole season, the 6 that started all this, but that doesn't matter if it was only 1 fish, seems 1 fish is 1 to many for some people.

Jim, I'm all for changing the creel limit for winter (Ice Fishing) months, my reasoning for this? Well if you change the creel limit to 2 or 3 fish a day, then people will just keep more fish per day and there won't make a difference. For example lets say I fished on Sat and I caught 5 fish currently and decided to keep them, if I then fished on Sunday they would all go back in. If the limit was changed to say 3 fish and I caught 3 on Sat, chances are if I fished Sunday and caught 2-3 fish I'd keep them too...so nothing would have changed. Myself, I usally only keep 4-6 fish an entire season, so a creel limit wouldn't hurt me in the least if it was 2-3 all year long I'd just get them spread out over the season. Now ice fishing is a different story, and this is just my view because I don't ice fish, so it would be different for people that don't fish during warmer months and only ice fish I'm sure. But if the creel is limited during those months then they would have to go out in the cold for more days to get more bass which would probablly not happen. Again a creel limit all year long lower then what it is I don't think would be effective on what your trying to accomplish. Do you know what the percentage is of people that C&R against those that LEGALLY keep is? Not sure myself, but I bet it's pretty high, meaning that the overall percentage of people keeping bass to eat legally is probablly relatively low and not a threat in the least to the fisheries. Those that go out and harvest above the limit, and also multiple times above the limit during the year can and do I'm sure affect the fisheries. That's why DEP has a creel limit in effect, they know what's best for the fisheries. Again I'm all for a creel limit in the winter months and would be happy to help out on getting that changed any way I can.
#587797 - 11/25/05 01:06 AM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Bass Rebel Offline

I posted a poll just for the heck of it to see what percentage of people do what as far as C&R vs Keeping is.

http://www.ctfisherman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/15/t/000200.html
#587798 - 11/25/05 01:31 AM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Jighead Offline

I love re-re-opening day

....If we have any say... Vote for May

#587799 - 11/25/05 08:35 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Bass Rebel Offline

Ok so far 19 people have voted in the poll, judging by the votes tally there isn't a lot of fish being taken out of the fisheries.
#587800 - 11/29/05 08:12 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Mitch P. Offline

#587801 - 12/07/05 09:49 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Anonymous
Unregistered

8 pounds of bass or 6 smaller fish for under8 pounds would be a nice rule (otherwise one trophy fish over 8 pounds with NO other fish)
#587802 - 02/14/06 02:27 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
KWK Offline

Loc: TN
The problem as I see it is three fold;1)micro managing every body of water by the DEP is out of the question.2)There are social issues involved which can not placed into neat little statistical niches.3)I believe the DEP has done enough surveys over the years to determine the overall effect of tournaments,sportfishing in general,ice fishing and fishing during the spawn(I personally will not site fish a bedding bass)I have to give the nod to the bioligists.Perhaps it is time for a mail in survey at seasons end for all license holders(or quantifying percentage),plenty of empirical data exists from other states but again the differing "social "issues come into play,apples and oranges so to speak,you can not compare fisherman in Texas to their counterparts here in CT.here there are lots of people who fish trout only,less pressure on other species not stocked on a regular basis.I do have one question,if it is recomended generally not to eat fish from the housatonic why is there even a limit on bass,even the one meal a month thing scares me,yikes.
#587803 - 02/14/06 05:18 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Dusty Offline

GAMETIME!!!

Loc: Ellington
DEP does "micro manage" many bodies of water...currently there are 29 lakes or ponds in CT that are individually managed for bass.

Team Daiwaimano
Team too many broken rods to count
Team bluefish lawn ornament
Team "oh shiit we are out of gas"

Cell: 607 206 0324
#587804 - 02/19/06 09:24 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Huskybass Offline

Very interesting post.

Huskybass

Got Peacocks?
Page 17 of 18 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 >

Moderator:  Bill G, Editors, FindBass