ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#587645 - 11/21/05 11:03 AM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Mitch P. Offline

I realize I pissed some people off by deleting some posts yesterday. It's a damned if I do, damned if I don't take some action with certain issues. Bottom line, taking it out on one guy's report can lead to more threads just like it. Before you know it, you have a garbage site.

Now, onto the issue of catch & release bass fishing. I mainly fish for bass. It's my passion. I keep zero fish per year (unless the fish died). I'd love to see some kind of change in bass regulation in CT.

Take some time to read some of the discusson on this thread from last year. There are some really great points:
http://www.ctfisherman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/001923/p/1.html

I'll see if we can get some comments from someone in the DEP.
Fishing Info
#587646 - 11/21/05 11:42 AM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Bent Twig Offline

Loc: MA
I'd have to agree with you guys, the creel limit is way too high and personally I am not a big fan of the taste of Largemouth or Smallmouth bass but that's just my opinion I guess. I think a 2 Bass a day limit would be fair enough so if some people do like the taste they can have some to eat. I'm not against anyone who is leaglly keeping and eating fish according to the current regs, I persoanlly keep and eat a lot of different species and people are within their rights to do so. I do persoanlly think "filling the freezer" with Largemouth is kind of ridiculous but that's just me. All in all I agree we need to make a change to this reg so we can keep and improve on the already great bass fisheries that we have but I'd have to say I don't agree with making people feel like jerks because they keep their legal limit if they choose to do so.

"Hunting and Fishing are not just sports, they are a way of life"
#587647 - 11/21/05 11:53 AM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Huskybass Offline

Keith,

The DEP currently makes exceptions for CATCH & RELEASE tournaments with permits so that contestants can weigh in bass over 12" on lakes with a 16" minimum for harvest. Using the same logic, there could be a 5 fish limit per angler during tournies as they are catch and release. I'm not saying it will happen, but it is a possibility.

Huskybass

Huskybass

Got Peacocks?
#587648 - 11/21/05 11:57 AM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Bob G Offline

Loc: i fell off the rails
I'll chime in. Yes it's time to reduce the creel and two fish per outing seems more than reasonable. I also like Huskys idea of only one large fish a year, but I would think it would be next to impossible to regulate. I also believe that as some of our neighboring states have implemented that there should be a closed season during the spawn. This thought is due to the increasing numbers of tourneys being held every year.

Personally unless the fish will die I am a strictly C&R person for all species that I fish for. Yet that does not mean that I have to implore my beliefs onto anglers that are following the rules and keeping limits.

Nothing is finer than being in South Carolina
#587649 - 11/21/05 12:37 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Randy C Offline

Has there been any info on the bass management lakes? The creel may not be the problem but the size. I can see taking 6 small bass to help with over crowding. My local lakes I can catch 25 small bass but hardly a good sized bass. I have not seen any info if the bass management lakes has been working or not.

Randy

#587650 - 11/21/05 12:52 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Bob G Offline

Loc: i fell off the rails
 Quote:
Originally posted by jimfish:
And maybe just like with other game licences a tag that allowes you to keep only one bass over 4lbs per year.
:o I missed Jims statement above, maybe Huskys statement of one large fish per annum does have some merit to be be enforced.

Nothing is finer than being in South Carolina
#587651 - 11/21/05 01:06 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Mycept Offline

Randy C,

Your questions are good ones. This same topic was broached on the ethics page some time ago, but not so direct. There is alot of information needed to make decisions before any agency will likely make a blanket regulation change like this one. They need a goal for the regulation change and the time/money to monitor the changed lakes for ~5 years to determine if the regulation change actually accomplished anything.

This "problem" or "concern" is evident in most popular sport fisheries, and to a degree in hunting. Fish that take longer to mature tend to be more susceptible to overfishing. Whether it's recruitment overfishing or growth overfishing would make a difference. What is the PSD for the lake etc etc.

There is alot more involved in management than just changing the creel limit or size limit for that matter. Changing it could have little to no impact depending on the lake.

I applaud the motivation of you guys to get something done. From a management standpoint I would talk to people to figure out which bodies of water the DEP already has this type of information on, and see if somehow they could be convinced to do trials on a few "lakes of concern" and after a few years determine the outcome.

If you search the bass topics in the ethics section this went back and forth for some time.
#587652 - 11/21/05 01:11 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Jon K Offline

Loc: Clinton, CT
Like many of you, I found that post very disturbing as well. More restrictive creel limits could certainly prevent this type of behavior; however, this topic is a slippery slope.

Even if creel limits were reduced to 2 fish per day, what is next? Next....closed season during spawn? Why stop there? How about the imposition of Lake Waramaug like restrictions on the entire state. I have a great proposal that should be implemented immediately, here it is:

Black Bass may only be targeted from June 15 to December 1. During the open season, anglers may fish between the hours of 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Anglers with last name A-K shall be permitted to fish only on even numbered days of the month, while anglers with last names L-Z may only fish on odd-numbered days of the month. Failure to obey these regulations shall result in immediate imprisonment.

In all seriousness, I agree that most people are not taking 6 bass per day to "fill the freezer;" however this type of behavior prompts this type of reaction. Our enemies will use this reasoning and logic as a backdoor to effectively ban tournament fishing if we are not careful with our ranting.

My personal belief: If you have the audacity to come on a quasi-public forum and proudly exhibit your massacre, chastisement should be expected. If we can self-police this type of conduct in a respectful fashion, unnecessarily restrictive regulation won't become necessary.
#587653 - 11/21/05 01:12 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
buckcall Offline

I'll never bash someone for keeping their legel limit of fish.

When it comes to freshwater bass, I think it takes to long for them to replace themselfs and wouldn't keep any of them myself.

I do agree that the limits are out dated and should be revised. Please realize how long it takes for a bass to reach the 5ld mark. Take a few doz out a yr and in a few yrs. You'll be catching nothing but rats.

Csimone, Where the hell have you been :p ;\) . Let me know if you need a partner on candy anytime soon :rolleyes: \:D .

If you voted for Malloy your an idoit if you voted for Obama you just an ass hole and should be striped of your citizenship!

This country has room for but one flag..The american flag..This country has room for but one language the english language.
Theodore Roosevelt
#587654 - 11/21/05 01:19 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
buckcall Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon K:

what is next? Next....closed season during spawn?
It wouldn't be a bad idea to close it to out of staters during that time. Best fishing of the yr should be kept for ct res. only! We can't fish their lake during that time.

If you voted for Malloy your an idoit if you voted for Obama you just an ass hole and should be striped of your citizenship!

This country has room for but one flag..The american flag..This country has room for but one language the english language.
Theodore Roosevelt
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Bill G, Editors, FindBass 

Active Topics