ctfisherman.com logo
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#587655 - 11/21/05 01:35 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Mycept Offline

Well much of this information is known, and I guess next year we'll get to see what the bass management lake regulation changes have done to the populations.

I only have a copy of the 2003/2004 data in this report:
Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration
F-57-R-22 Annual Performance Report
April 1, 2003– March 31, 2004

In this they state that they will be evaluation the impacts of the regulation changes to the bass management lakes. When this comes out we'll have information to talk about. If the changes worked, perhaps we'll see the DEP make more changes. Remember though, you can't manage for just bass without having potential impacts on other species.
Fishing Info
#587656 - 11/21/05 01:42 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Jon K Offline

Loc: Clinton, CT
I have touched upon this subject in past posts. You could not legally prohibit out of staters from fishing our waters during the spawn. It would have to be generally applicable regulation or no regulation. That is faulty logic, their lakes are closed to them as well.

Chastise is not the equivalent of "bash."
#587657 - 11/21/05 03:16 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Fish-head Offline

Loc: Lancaster, SC
When I would go fishing with my Dad on our own Lake X, if we caught a bass, on the stringer it went. Now this was 20 yrs ago, before there was a big catch and release mentality. I can honestly say no fish that my Dad caught was wasted. Everything was eaten. He never kept more that his limit.

These fisherman that want to keep a few bass to eat aren't the problem. The problem ones are the people who keep MORE than their limit, or keep undersized fish. They are passing on their bad behaviors onto their kids and others. I personally called the DEP hotline 3 times this year. Twice at Mansfield for guys keeping bass in the slot limit, and once for a guy filling his bucket up with schoolie stripers on the river.

I think that changing the bass limit is a good idea. Would it be so bad to make all lakes bass slot limit? You could keep 2 bass between 12"and 16" to eat, all other fish would be released. Are there other states that have tried this on all the lakes?
#587658 - 11/21/05 03:27 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
BassnBear Offline

Loc: Hamden,CT
You don't have to prohibit out of staters from fishing our waters...just don't grant their permits to hold a tournament. It used to sicken me when I was the tournament director for CT Yankee Bassmasters and even though we got our permit applications in by Oct, we were sometimes denied the dates and lakes we wanted because of the NJ. NY, and MA tourneys that were being held.

The creel should be lowered anyways with an exemption for Tourneys. That would do wonders in protecting bass from the ice harvest too.

Later,
BOB

FEAR the PIN !!!

#587659 - 11/21/05 03:38 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Mycept Offline

I forgot to mention, that DEP publication goes contains some information on catch and harvest rates for some lakes during ice and no ice conditions. Aren't nearly as many fish being taken through the ice as people make it sound sometimes. Not to say it isn't happening, but it might not be as bad as you think
#587660 - 11/21/05 03:44 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Chris Offline

Loc: Meriden
You all not from around here is ya?
We don't take kindly to your kind in this here parts. If I was you I'd be a headin on back back to where it tis you all's come from.
Were in past history did this mentallity take place? Guess the correct answer and win a CTF hat. To late it was the American civil war,
This is America dammit. This train of thought should not even be in anyones minds at this date in time. what if Maine passed a law saying Ct fisherman are no longer allowed to hunt and fish in there state? How would that make you feel
even if you never plan on going there. just the thought of being excluded in america should have you up in arms.
#587661 - 11/21/05 03:45 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Dusty Offline

GAMETIME!!!

Loc: Ellington
Ok...ill try and do this without offending anyone, but in case I do please accept my appologies I am just expressing an opinion.

Keeping bass is NOT a bad thing. Many lakes become stunted or overrun with numbers of smaller fish. Look at a lot of ponds that do not get fished....I know one for instance that it is a private pond, about 2 miles from a public one almost identical in size, water quality etc. The private pond has VERY few fish over 12 inches, whle the public one produces great numbers of fish over 16 inches. Bottom line is that harvesting bass on bodies of water is not as big of an issue as many would make it seem. The issue is harvesting LARGE fish. I think we could all agree that our issue was not the harvesting of bass, it was the harvesting of the 4 lb fish etc.

I have to agree with pretty much everyone on this post, but you have to look at what findbas said about 20 years ago....there was very little "catch and release" practiced back then...good lord look at any of the pictures or video from the first BASS tournamants...hundrede of 5 lb bass put in a jon boat after the weigh in. HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dead fish....and guess what...we can still catch plenty of big fish today.

I think my point is that keeping 10 bass over 4lbs during a weekend at 1 lake WILL make an impact....will ANYONE notice, NOPE!!!

To the creel limit issue, I agree, I think 6 fish may be a little high...but that ios why we have bass management. These lakes are surveyed every year by the DEP, and as soon as a trend in abundance, or lacktherof, is noticed managment begins to discuss regulation changes.

I am not a hunter but have always wondered how the persepctive could be so different. Bass and deer populations are no different, yet the perspective is so different. When hunting deer you target the BIGGEST bucks...why? Well they have the most meat and have big antlers for show and tell. What does that do to a population? Well it allows the smaller deer to get bigger by allowing them to fill the space as dominant male, alloting them more resources. Thow hunters know how important thinning the heard can be, a population with too many individuals becomes smaller in size, thus creating health, disease problems.

The same occurs in bass populations...too many fish create smaller average weights and health issues....fish kills become more prevalent and overall population health declines.

OK...well I have to tie up my rambling...I think we are semi-overeacting. Yes we all want our natural resources protected...are there ways to do that , yes. bodies of water are managed on a water-specific basis, meaning that overall regualtions are not the best answer. What may be good for one bodie of water is terrible on another....bottom line is that a lot of factors are tae into account when regulations are made, including angler harvest...and DEP does everything they can to ensure that we will be catching fish years from now just as we are today.

Team Daiwaimano
Team too many broken rods to count
Team bluefish lawn ornament
Team "oh shiit we are out of gas"

Cell: 607 206 0324
#587662 - 11/21/05 03:46 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
crazylunker Offline

CTFreediver, thanks for the site. those are some funny pics haha.

Jimfish let me know if I can help as I was one of the people that had his post deleted yesterday. To say the least i was terribly disturbed by the post and am willing to help to change this limit if possible.

also known as RichR, Rich, and FatRich
#587663 - 11/21/05 05:12 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Huskybass Offline

Just some food for thought: Without catch and release we probably wouldn't be looking at the two great bass photos on the homepage of this site.

Selective harvest is a great idea. Taking your limit of large bass to "fill the freezer" can have substantial consequences, especially on a small body of water.

Huskybass

Got Peacocks?
#587664 - 11/21/05 08:57 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
CAJUN Offline

Although it is legal to keep 6 bass it sure made me sick to see the picture of all those nice bass layed out on the ground !! Maybe Dusty can fill us in on the average growth weight in this area of the country. I'm all for the creel limit being changed to a lower number.

Have I ever told you I hate the "CLA" !!
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Bill G, Editors, FindBass 

Active Topics