ctfisherman.com logo
Page 10 of 18 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#587725 - 11/22/05 07:00 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Mycept Offline

Well in 2003, 12 fish over 30 cm were collected in 1 hour in Gardner. You'd need to see age length keys or actual catch data, and the amount of shoreline covered so you could extrapolate
Fishing Info
#587726 - 11/22/05 07:32 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
FishingFinancialAdvisor Offline

Mycept,

Well said, I understand what you were trying to say and I agree with you that it is a problem.
#587727 - 11/22/05 07:38 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
CAJUN Offline

I was,nt picking on or busting anybodies b-lls ,It was nothing personal it would bother me if any body kept those bass! He has every right to take them. As far as salt water fish are concerned ,I think what Mitch said hit it .The fish in the ocean have the whole ocean to live in our lakes are tiny compaired to the L I Sound! I can even see keeping crappies or perch maybe crappie fisherman would be pissed if they saw how many crappies we kept this past weekend. I think it has to do with being passionate about your sport.

Have I ever told you I hate the "CLA" !!
#587728 - 11/22/05 07:54 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Caveman Offline

That’s it 100% I think no matter what you keep there will be some one that gets upset because that is the species that they like to fish for and no one wants anything to happen to there fish.

www.hookerztackle.com
“A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it is not open.” Frank Zappa
#587729 - 11/22/05 08:31 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
CWood Man Offline

Stop Bitchin' And Get Fishin'!

Loc: Villas NJ
Wow, I just spent 15 minutes reading through this and learned alot. Exuse me for being simple-minded but what I got out of this was that tournaments waste alot more fish then a few people keeping some for the table.

I am friends with alot of you, Husky, Simone, Mitch, etc. and always follow you guys on how you did in various tournaments so I am in know way critisizing tourney guys, but certain people should really lay-off people keeping a few fish after reading about the tourney mortalities.

Also I truely wish they would limit the amount of tournies on Cwood. I live on the lake and watch teams pull up to my dock and pull out a 4 pounder and bring it over to the launch to be weighed. No way in hell does that fish make it back to my end of the lake where I could enjoy catching it, plus it was probably on a bed. My biggest bass ever on Cwood was caught off my dock, a 5 1/2 pound smallie. Small point but it ticks me off.

Limiting the amount of tournies is a must in my opinion. If anything keep it to CT. clubs, but we are seeing more tournies than ever and that can't be helping the water's eco system nor the population if we are loosing 5-8% of the bass caught.

Did I like seeing the bass on the table like that, not really because I C&R bass and trout but it was his choice and from his posts he is an outdoorsman that knows the rules and regs. and doesn't abuse them.

CHANGE IS SCARY BUT IT IS REWARDING ON THE OTHER SIDE!

SURELY MISS MY CTF FRIENDS BUT ALWAYS WILL BE HERE TO GIVE ALL A HARD TIME!

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Don't call me on a Tuesday, I'm on the water!

Chris
#587730 - 11/22/05 11:02 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Jon K Offline

Loc: Clinton, CT
I don't think the DEP can legally discriminate against out-of-state clubs in granting tournament permits either. I think they certainly COULD impose a limit on the number of tournies held per year.

I think the majority of tournament guys do not properly handle their catch. I take every extra precauation to care for my catch during the summer, and I lose very few fish. People think stopping at the gas station and buying 10 pounds of cubed ice is sufficient during a summertime tourney. It is not. You need about 50 pounds of block ice to keep the water at the appropriate temperature all day long. Rejuvendae additive also helps immensely. The recirculate pumps should also run continuosly.
#587731 - 11/22/05 11:11 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Jighead Offline

I love re-re-opening day

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith G:
What I meant was that bass are currently plentiful and seem to be doing well from what is posted here as well as what the DEP publishes as far as electrofishing.
Not picking on you at all Keith G - but I strongly feel that bass fishing can be better in just about every public lake we have. Even the DEP studies show that many lakes have a surplus forage base - which translates into room for more predator species.

Sorry again Keith G. ( Honestly, I'm not picking on you \:\) ) but I am going to quote you again from a later post.

"What is the usual weigh in limit for number of fish in tournaments?? You can't drop the creel limit too low or you'll be weighing in 2 or 3 fish. Remember, fish in the live well count towards a limit whether you plan on throwing them back or not"

I'm very glad you mention this because it's a commonly held belief that lowering the creel limits will impact tourney fishing.

I don't believe that "tourney creel limits" should have anything at all to do with "standard creel limits" - The DEP can and does issue waivers to tourneys to allow 12" bass to be weighed in on bass managements lakes - so there is no reason they couldn't use the same waiver system to allow 5 bass limits in 100% C&R tourneys.

All we need is the tourney paperwork filled out.

....If we have any say... Vote for May

#587732 - 11/22/05 11:18 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Jighead Offline

I love re-re-opening day

WOW I didn't see that there were 5 pages to read - I'll have to catch up later.

I see Huskybass already said what I said.

Lots of great info and opinions. From what I see, every lakes bass population can be in a different place - too many variables in conditions, forage base, recruitment rates, fishing pressure, fishing mortality and of course harvest rates -- to have just one creel limit for an entire state and expect it do work the same in each body of water .

Would a 2 fish limit work if every angler that kept a limit, decided to fish there next year ? NO.

Would a 10 fish limit make any difference in a lake where no one keeps any ? NO

Tourney pressure on Candlewood has no negative impacts on recruitment there - but is that true of all lakes? I doubt it.

The current creel limits were set long ago and in need of review.

We need more "Lake Specific" management to expect better fisheries. To do that, we need a hell of a lot more fisheries biologists. That takes $$$ - and YES the money is there, but unfortunately it gets burried in the "general fund" and the DEP has to literally fight for it's own survival - and you can forget about expanding their presence.

I bet a dollar that they have our best biologists schlepping trout from the stocking trucks for 10 weeks a year because they are understaffed :rolleyes:

I think this creel limit discussion is very important and I think we as fishermen, need to make more noise in Hartford to get our moneys worth. Support the DEP - Don't demand more from them - demand more of them \:\)

....If we have any say... Vote for May

#587733 - 11/22/05 11:45 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
jimfish Offline

Geezer

Wow has this thread evolved.
I still want the creel limit to change and a limit of one bass over 4lbs for the year.

If not too many people are keeping bass as some have stated. Then there should be no problem changing the limit.

Am I against keeping some bass for the table. No... But you should practice selective harvest.
That is keep a few of the smaller bass and return the larger.
I watched a fishing show last year that had as their guest The Director Of Fisheries for the State of Texas. He highly reccomended Selective Harvest.

Are there too many tournaments? I think the DEP is a better judge then me on that.

I agree what jighead said on the tournament limit for bass. But again that is for the DEP to decide.

My name is Jim. You can call me slim. I row my boat way out to the middle.Cause the fish I'm after ain't so little. Pike, Trout, Largemouth Bass. Get me out there really fast. I know I'm good,really the best. The rest of you are such a pest. - By Henry Gibson
Jim Boyne

#587734 - 11/22/05 11:50 PM Re: Creel limit for Bass
Keith G Offline

Loc: Suffield, CT
No offense taken Jighead \:D

This has been a very civilized and educational discussion and I am enjoying it lke others.

With the popularity of catch and release I feel bass fishing will only improve. However large fish need more oxygen and are more vulnerable to getting sick then their younger medium sized counterparts. This leaves them very open to fishkills when water warms or mortalities when handled poorly during tournies. Catch and release will improve quality, but it is wishful thinking that throwing back all 4-5lb fish means they will keep growing. Smaller bodies of water will only be able to hold a certain number of decent sized fish due to oxygen requirements and forage.

I might be incorrect but I am never wrong!!

GO CELTICS!!!!!
Page 10 of 18 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Bill G, Editors, FindBass 

Active Topics