ctfisherman.com logo
Page 9 of 28 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#917883 - 02/13/08 02:22 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: Jighead]
CWood Man Offline

Stop Bitchin' And Get Fishin'!

Loc: Villas NJ
I live on the lake and sure I would like to restrict the amount of boats on the lake seeing what has happened in the last 30 years there. But being a public lake It should be run totally different. Man the ramps 7 days a week and charge a realistic fee for launching there like they do in Norwalk or other Payed State ramps. Up-keep the ramps better with the proceeds or get more patrols on the lake.

I don't use the ramps but it is embarrassing the condition of them. I have said it a million times, the thing that pisses me off the most is that NY residents can launch on a Friday night for free, not have a Safe Boating Certificate and use there 24-34 foot cabin cruiser all weekend for free! But I am the ahole complaining resident because I want mor erestrictions on the lake. I am the one at the clean-ups , I pay more taxes living on the lake and I took my Boating course. My wife and I were almost hit by a cruiser from NY in Echo bay because his Bow was so far in the air he couldn't see in front of him. I have a ton of horror stories but that would take up the entire thread. I just feel strongly about something being done to SOMEWHAT restrict the useage and make the place safer. I think evryone can admit, bass fisherman or not, that the lake gets punded by recreational and tournament use. Just look at the permits issued!

CHANGE IS SCARY BUT IT IS REWARDING ON THE OTHER SIDE!

SURELY MISS MY CTF FRIENDS BUT ALWAYS WILL BE HERE TO GIVE ALL A HARD TIME!

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Don't call me on a Tuesday, I'm on the water!

Chris
Fishing Info
#918029 - 02/13/08 06:45 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: CWood Man]
smayna2 Offline

I understand there is probably, or rather likely, resentment towards NY boaters coming in and using the lake, leaving the ramp area a mess and not paying anything (although it's not only NY boaters doing that). I'm sure that was taken into consideration by those who have proposed the new fee. General observation, I've only been boating for three years, but it seems at every turn there is someone proposing a new fee/tax on boaters and fishermen. It's come to the point, if it hadn't already, that only the well off can enjoy this hobby. That said, being from NY, the land of the "fee", I'm surprised it hasn't happened a long time ago. I know that Lake George in upstate NY makes you buy a sticker for lake access. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind buying a $100 sticker for Candlewood Lake if it went towards improving the launch ramps and more lake patrols. A dock master would be nice to speed up the launching and recovery of boats, but OK I'm just wishing. However, as stated earlier, where does it end? Start with Candlewood and every other association, authority or municipality in the state will do it. One problem solved, another one created. I would pay to use Candlewood since it's the only CT lake I use, but for those of you CT residents who enjoy lake hopping for the variety of fishing/boating experiences, a lake by lake fee does not sound appealing. I think many problems could be solved right at the ramps with proper monitoring. People are less likely to cause any trouble if they know they will be under the watchful eye of the state police or DEP when they launch and recover. But again, that costs money and where does it come from? Charging out of state boaters is acceptable in my opinion. We don't pay CT taxes. But as also stated earlier, as the number of out of state boaters decreases and the revenues dry up, the difference has to be made up somewhere.
#918037 - 02/13/08 06:54 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: smayna2]
CWood Man Offline

Good input smayna2. And by all means I never said that the NY boats are trashing the palce. It's just the thing about the boating Certificate and free useage.

I am glad you brought up Lake George. My sister has a boat on lake George and I know they charge a decent amput for out of staters and they man the launches!

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Chris
#918047 - 02/13/08 07:11 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: CWood Man]
buckcall Offline

I stay in lake george for a week every yr and have to buy the sticker for the boat 25 for the week(No biggie because the place I stay have there own launch so thats not extra), but I think what they do in Maine is much better. Everyone has to buy a sticker ( called weed controll sticker or something like that) for there boats that covers all public lakes in the state. That way the money goes to there DEP and not some want to be major of the lake to pocket. If Ct imploded something like that it would generate more money to help with the upkeep as long as it stays out of the general fund!!!! Now if they go with this 50 fee for candy and others follow suite. Now your talking some big bucks to fish the lakes you like to fish that the state run. Think of it as one of those season passes they sell to enter state parks like Chatfield hollow, Lighthouse point in NH, and Hammy to name a few. One fee covers all the lakes.

Edited by buck-call (02/13/08 07:53 PM)

If you voted for Malloy your an idoit if you voted for Obama you just an ass hole and should be striped of your citizenship!

This country has room for but one flag..The american flag..This country has room for but one language the english language.
Theodore Roosevelt
#918070 - 02/13/08 07:43 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: CWood Man]
smayna2 Offline

Sorry Chris, I didn't mean to suggest in my post that you felt NY boaters were trashing the place. Rather, that I believe the folks who proposed the fee probably had that in mind in addition to the other things a fee could bring. Less boaters = less mess.

I camped on one of the Islands in Lake George last summer. I think the lake access permit was $11 for a weekly permit.
#918073 - 02/13/08 07:50 PM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: smayna2]
CWood Man Offline

Thanks for the info.. I just get alot of crap because I live on the lake and alot of people feel that us residents want a private lake, which in my case is untrue.

My sister loves Lake George. They live in Albay and belong to a glorified marina/club. Really nice up there.

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Chris
#918305 - 02/14/08 09:43 AM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: BigLee]
DAS Offline

Originally Posted By: BigLee
Dave THE BASS Federation Nation also needs to be active on this one and I am sure you are.

I'm all over it.

David Santos
Environmental Director
CT B.A.S.S. Federation Nation
www.ctbass.com
#918315 - 02/14/08 10:22 AM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: DAS]
Dusty Offline

GAMETIME!!!

Loc: Ellington
This is really hard.....as a conservationist I want to see the lake taken care of! But i cant help but see the 200+ grand that the lake authority already receives in excess of what is spent on the lake!

Is there another meeting scheduled in the near future? Im sorry if that has been discussed before..I'm a little behind on this subject!

Team Daiwaimano
Team too many broken rods to count
Team bluefish lawn ornament
Team "oh shiit we are out of gas"

Cell: 607 206 0324
#918319 - 02/14/08 10:31 AM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: Dusty]
bigtoad Offline

Yes, there are many permits issued for Candlewood but lets keep in mind that most of those tournament permits issued are for club tournies and run on average of 10-12 boats per launch. Not every permit issued is for 75-100 boats.

Someday I will get paid to fish, for now I have to work.
#918330 - 02/14/08 11:15 AM Re: Proposed $50/boat fee on Candlewood-Sticker [Re: bigtoad]
old basser Offline

IF WE ARE GOING TO VOICE OUR FEELINGS ON THIS SUBJECT BY
CONTACTING THE DEP, IS THERE A SPECIFIC DEPT OR PERSON WE
SHOULD BE TARGETING?
HANK
Page 9 of 28 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 27 28 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics