ctfisherman.com logo
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#586303 - 03/22/06 05:54 PM Re: New Trout regs
Next Level Offline

if they propose this rule for 2007 are they really going to tell the land and homeowners that live on these lakes that their trophy trout lake that they paid a mint to live on for their whole summer of r and r can't go fishing on them anymore? aren't all of these lakes and ponds surrounded by summer homes and cottages? i know it's probably not the biggest percentage but what about the people that come from other states and places to rent these cottages for their vacation so they can relax and go fishing for the week? now they're just going to be told that the lake that they always go to is no longer a fishery for the summers. that doesn't even sound right. won't this cut down on out of state licenses that are sold and even just the instate people who buy a license just to go out for the week while they're there. and those people may never be back. i guess all trout guys will have to go out of state for trout and not buy a conn. license anymore. also i don't know where the counts on fish declining are. i just met up with a guy who pulled five trout out of crystal lake this year that were all over four lbs.with 1 going almost 6 lbs. with proof. that doesn't sound like a declining fishery to me. and he put them all back and watched them swim away (very healthily i might add) on the video.
Fishing Info
#586304 - 03/22/06 05:54 PM Re: New Trout regs
Dusty Offline

GAMETIME!!!

Loc: Ellington
No I agree Keith...and most people here know that i stick to my guns. I have previously posted about the damage that tournament fishing can cause bass...I agree, neither that nor this are good for the fish

Team Daiwaimano
Team too many broken rods to count
Team bluefish lawn ornament
Team "oh shiit we are out of gas"

Cell: 607 206 0324
#586305 - 03/22/06 07:29 PM Re: New Trout regs
Anonymous
Unregistered

You would think that the proposed reg are going to prevent people from fishing. "GET A LIFE" It's only three lakes where the DEP is trying to preserve the trophy trout fishery. A number of us that care about preserving these trout fisheries voluntarily don't trout fish during the July to Sept 15 period. You can always fish for bullheads I don't think anyone will bother you.
#586306 - 03/22/06 07:57 PM Re: New Trout regs
Mycept Offline

I'm not directing this at anyone, but it never fails that people bitch when they feel there aren't regulations in place and then bitch when they feel there are too many. You can't ask the DEP to make management decisions based on their expertise and data, and then complain when they actually make one.

If the issue is actual fishing mortality during warm months and not an actual harvest issue, there really are no other ways to get at their goal. I'm also suprised that they'd react to creel data indicating few anglers catching lots of fish, and I can only assume they would have reacted the same way to all anglers catching fewer fish.

As pointed out already, a fish swimming away does not mean it survived. A question for timb would be has fishing mortality on East Twin been examined or are estimates coming from literature and general ALK type information?

We deal with closed seasons for a bunch of fish, both fresh and salt and have to deal with it.
#586307 - 03/22/06 10:25 PM Re: New Trout regs
Don D Offline

Loc: Bristol, CT
I think that the zebra mussels are far more responsible for the decline in big trout in East Twin than any one will admit to. Years ago you would see huge schools of alewives in the shallows. You don't see that any more. The zebra mussels filter out the exact thing that the alewives eat. And guess what? You can't get rid of them they just keep spredding on the lake. Lake Ontario's great brown trout and lake trout fishery has taken a big hit because of the same thing.

If there are fish to catch. I'll be there to my end.
#586308 - 03/23/06 12:43 AM Re: New Trout regs
Keith G Offline

Loc: Suffield, CT
 Quote:
You would think that the proposed reg are going to prevent people from fishing. "GET A LIFE" It's only three lakes where the DEP is trying to preserve the trophy trout fishery. A number of us that care about preserving these trout fisheries voluntarily don't trout fish during the July to Sept 15 period. You can always fish for bullheads I don't think anyone will bother you.
Yes only 3 lakes. Three of the best trout lakes in the state and it conspicuously leaves out several other trophy trout lakes. And yes it would possibly prevent me from fishing in CT. I prefer to target trout. Why waste my money here for only a few months when I can go to MA all year long or fish VT. As I stated before, natural selection will do the same thing as the fisherman. You will never achieve a large number of hold overs in most lakes in CT. The oxygen levels are just not there to support lots of big fish. That is not my opinion, but what is stated in the Lakes and Ponds book published by the DEP. Trophy trout lakes were created to make angling oppotunities, but now that they are being utilized they want to cut back the access.

I might be incorrect but I am never wrong!!

GO CELTICS!!!!!
#586309 - 03/23/06 03:13 AM Re: New Trout regs
Capt. Alewife Offline

Loc: "fiddle ridge"
Well John NW CT ..
easy with the hate there pal..
looks like your the newest member of my hate club!! CONGRADULATIONS!!!

Quote:
Potential dude.
How about this, ban ice fishing on East Twin. Why?, how are those trout doing that get let go after being brought up from 60-90
So where is this 90' hole on east twin?? enlighten me???
I would say banning Ice fishing would be a more realistic approach to protecting the fishery.I agree 100%

I agree that the mortality Does not happen at boat side. but where does it happen>? who sees it?? How do you know its happening?? if a tree falls in the forest ....i just question the claims. and the source of the info..

This will be my last post on this topic..
anyone can send me a PM on this topic.

and JOEM... i'd rather go bait fishing then catch bullheads. Thanks for that marvelous suggestion. I look forward to your Bullhead reports..

fishing is like life.. you learn as you go.and I can't stop learning

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.- Steven Wright

" they've hit that before, they'll hit it again!! leave it out there TILL they hit it!~"
#586310 - 03/23/06 07:22 AM Re: New Trout regs
MikeG Offline

Loc: NW CT
Soooooooooooooo...................

Fishing deep for trout is bad ,fishing shallow for trout is bad

Ice fishing for trout is bad.

Summer Fishing for trout is bad

Fishing in the fall for trout is bad.

Season is closed in the early spring as it stands now.

Sooooooooooo..........when is a good time to fish for trout and what is the proper depth to catch trout from so they can released un harmed ???? \:o

Trout are a put and take fishery !!! It's the DEP's job to put them in and our job as anglers to take them :rolleyes:

It also seems the Catch and release guys are taken the worst beating on this with all the talk of after the release mortality.

Screwed if I do ,screwed if I dont,to bad no one will know how many trout I catch this year because I am done posting fishing reports here on ctf.

I suppose I am doing something wrong as well by heading up the ctf trout club ? (((Which I see very few of you participating in so I will reach in my own pocket and make up the differance to make it happen.What do you do to give something back to fishing in CT besides buy a liscense ??? \:o :rolleyes:
#586311 - 03/23/06 09:14 AM Re: New Trout regs
jonh Offline

FUBO

You guys are very passionate about you little freshwater fish. With some training, the bluefish jihad network can use people like you!

Militant Bluefish Jihadist

"Our leaders are stupid, they are stupid people," "It's just very, very sad" - Donald Trump 2011

"With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it." - JAMES M. INHOFE

"Most meteorological research is funded by the federal government. And boy, if you want to get federal funding, you better not come out and say human-induced global warming is a hoax because you stand the chance of not getting funded." - WILLIAM GRAY

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in fishing" - Babylonian proverb
#586312 - 03/23/06 09:33 AM Re: New Trout regs
Teamster 1150 Offline

Come over here, I want you to meet my lil'fren... Stop bitchen and let the big boys figure it out. This is supposed to be one of our fun passions not one that pisses everyone off.

My Avitar is a picture of EARTH on a post card I recieved. On the back it said " WISH YOU WERE HERE".
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Bill G, Editors, FindBass 

Active Topics