ctfisherman.com logo
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#586336 - 03/28/06 01:31 AM Re: New Trout regs
dumpin130 Offline

close it for the warm water august through jan. and stock less trout. let the alewives rebound if you want big fish.
Fishing Info
#586337 - 03/28/06 02:20 AM Re: New Trout regs
Keith G Offline

Loc: Suffield, CT
First things first, I respect Tim's knowledge on the subject. I just question it's practicality, not sure where the data is coming from and also why only 3 lakes are being considered when more are just as capable of holdovers. That being said, I don't recall (could be wrong, not the first time) seeing RI, MA, NY, VT or NH doing anything similiar. CT is in southern New England but not that southern. REELIN n RIDIN brings up a good point as well. I too saw no enforcement at Highland or Twin last year. It is known on Highland that there have been numerous preseason poachers and many boating violations that go on. Fortunately TIPS gets some, but not all. This is not a slam on ENCON. They have precious limited personnel available to deal with current regulations, how are they to deal with 3 months of strict regulations on 3 bodies of water and still patrol river TMA's and other fisheries in just the NW corner alone?

I might be incorrect but I am never wrong!!

GO CELTICS!!!!!
#586338 - 03/28/06 02:59 AM Re: New Trout regs
Buck Offline

Just read through this thread. One piece of info is the fact that the trout fishing in my part of the state (Candlewood, Squantz, Ball Pond) dies in early July and does not start up again until the early fall depending upon the weather. So it doesn't matter if the trout season is closed on those lakes, no one is fishing for them anyway. The trout either go to a stream or spring hole, suspend in the thermocline or bury themselves in the weed beds where the thermocline hits the shore. They basically stop feeding for the most part. Maybe a bit right at dawn if they can catch a herring easily. Also, it is almost impossible to release one in good shape so a lot die if caught. In August you can go into an area like Hollywile cove where Ball Pond brook enters the lake and watch the brown trout porpoise as they literally jump clear of the water to fill their gills with air/oxygen and then descend straight down to the bottom again. This is a very stressed and dangerous time for them. So Candlewood may be a trophy trout lake but it is not a summer fishery. Closing it to trout fishing would have zero affect on any fisherman, due to water quality issues it is basically closed anyway.
#586339 - 03/28/06 11:51 AM Re: New Trout regs
Mycept Offline

RickL,

I'm not questioning how he does his job. I'm making a suggestion that I think will keep everyone happy. Anyone could request the data through FIA, but it's always nice to have more information on a topic, similar to when they answered questions in the bass thread. I've been on the other end of this topic and I know what it's like. I made the suggestion because it's what we found to be the most helpful to everyone involved (public, biologists, managers). In the end it won't really matter what fishermen say if the data say something different, regardless of public comment periods.
#586340 - 03/28/06 01:22 PM Re: New Trout regs
Jack Offline

First of all I was so upset when I read this post that i replied without thinking. I just want to clear up that am the first one to admit I'd rather catch 4 or 5 quality fish than 35 dinks. Which has been the norm in the last two years. Last year we only got one fish over 20 inches out of the 6 or 7 trips we took to East Twin. Without checking my log we landed around 200 fish. And only a few in the 17-19 range which we used to get few each outing.

With that said I have to agree with the overstocking and the lack of food.

Quote:
stock less trout. let the alewives rebound if you want big fish.
Is it normal to catch 40-50 trout in one outing? How many trout are in there? I remember we used to mark balls of alewives where the screen went black. I haven't seen that in 5 years. I dunno i just find it hard to beleive that the lack of holdovers is due to fishing in the summer.

Last year we went ice fishing and landed nearly 50 trout in one session. And nearly 40 in another. Were these dead from the summer? Were they just stocked? I don't beleive so.

And lastly I think the minimum length should be increased minimally to 24. I don't know how many people keep a fish just cause it reached the legal limit size of 20 inches. What are you going to do with a 20 inch brown?

Addicted to Kings!!! See you up in Lake O.

#586341 - 03/28/06 01:41 PM Re: New Trout regs
Steely Dan Offline

This is without a doubt the dumbest thing I've read. You can't use downriggers or leadcore - what about dipsey divers? Or heavy keel sinkers really deep diving plugs?

They can't stop you from fishing - so how will they tell what you are fishing for?

The real killer of trout on East Twin is guys still fishing with live bait in the summer. The mortality rate of fish hooked in this manner is far less than those caught using downriggers. How about restricting it to single hooks on spoons, etc.

This is also going to put more pressure on West Hill and Wonoscopomic - if you have a small enough motor. I strictly troll for trout and I feel the state is just taking this away from us.

Don't ask me for any support DEP!
Let’s take a look at the stocking plan for these three lakes. In 2004 the DEP stocked 4000 adult brown, 5800 adult rainbow and 1000 brown >12” in Crystal for 10,800 total trout.

6600 adult brown, 3000 adult rainbow and 500 brown >12”, 3000 brown yearlings and 2500 adult Brook in East Twin for 15,600 total trout.

8500 adult brown, 1200 adult rainbow and 500 brown >12”, 4900 brown yearlings in Highland for 15,100 total trout.

In 2005 the DEP stocked 4100 adult brown, 8500 adult rainbow and 1000 brown >12” in and 52 broodstock in Crystal for 13,652 total trout.

6700 adult brown, 3680 adult rainbow and 500 brown >12”, 1500 brown yearlings and 2700 adult Brook and 50 Tiger in East Twin for 15,130 total trout.

8100 adult brown, 1200 adult rainbow and 500 brown >12”, 3000 brown yearlings in Highland for 12,800 total trout.

Now I don’t fish Crystal or Highland that often, but I’ve fished East Twin a lot in the last 25 years. So let’s look at that. The Kokanee did so well there because East Twin has a natural limestone base that allows for high plankton or fresh water shrimp numbers which the salmon fed on. The alewives also feed on these and out competed the Kokanee. So the state started stocking large growth sub species of browns and put a limit of 22” on the size of fish and a closed season starting June 1. After a few years, the size of the fish went up drastically because nobody fished for them (because the changes put a lot of people off fishing there) and the state didn’t stock that many fish. It wasn’t until the 1995 season that large fish started to show up. You would see huge schools of alewives boiling on the surface – taking up large sections of the lake – you never see that now.

Then the Zebra mussels got into the lake. They filter the water and remove a lot of the nutrients the fresh water shrimp need. We have seen huge drop off in the amount of alewives – crashes in which whole year’s fry don’t make it. And the growth of the trout has slowed. This is coupled with the DEP stocking more fish than ever there. I mean 15000 trout – most of which aren’t in the catchable range is a lot of fish to compete for a diminishing food supply. Do you think the large starving trout are eating the freshly stocked yearlings – I do? When they put some Kokanee fry in there – do you think the trout ate them?

So what are they going to do? They are going to close the season again. But now there isn’t enough forage for the fish. The 20” current limit hasn’t allowed the fish to grow – so why would closing the season help? They would be much better off letting nature take its course. Allow the 5 fish limit – with one fish over 20”. That would thin out most of the small fish and allow the holdovers to grow, with an occasional large trout. That’s the best they can hope for now with the Zebra mussels. Stopping the use of downriggers and lead core won’t stop people from fishing for trout using other methods.
#586342 - 03/28/06 11:40 PM Re: New Trout regs
Greenglo Bob Offline

R.I.P.

Loc: New Preston
Buck, I agree 100% on Candlewood and other nw Ct. trout by July 4th getting lockjaw.When the laurel blossoms drop the bite bite drops off. As far as catch and release a single hook is the best method for preventing mortality. End of June - Aug. trout fishing when the water warms is iffy for C n R trout survival. I leave them alone . Just my 40 year observation. Drifting with bait is another killer issue which sure as hell works. After June I look north , out of state for colder water fishing. My philosophy is leave em alone July to Sept. If you get them to the surface the fight is sapped due to warm water. Just my observation over the years. Have my armor on and and bracin myself lol.

He who dies with the most toys wins!!!
#586343 - 04/03/06 03:51 PM Re: New Trout regs
Pistol Offline

BIG Yellow Broom Stick

Loc: South Reading, VT
I had great sucess this summer fishing trout all summer long. I did not fish East Twin, or Highland. But did put in alot of time on West Hill, and Squantz. Fishing West Hill, and Squantz thru the summer months I caught just as many trout on a surface rod, as with lead core, or the down rigger! I have to say the trout were very hardy even for the hot summer. But... I did fish West Hill a few times at night. And I agree with what was said on here it was a blood bath! Many trout floating everywhere. What I didn't understand was why they were not kept? Especally in the condition they were caught in, bleeding, gut hooked, so on. And, it wasn't even just the fishing, or methods...it was the whole place seemed a circus. Boats running with no lights, drunkin fools yelling #$^@#! I was embarrased one night by some people on the water fishing, as I had my youngest son with me, and we just packed it up after a couple hours and left. Where was the DEP? I wish there were more of them. Only once the whole year did I see a DEP officer on West Hill. I rahter see money go into more personal than into regs that most likely can't / won't be inforced anyhow with out more DEP officers.
I also think Capt. Alewife and Steely Dan have it right! Right on guys!

I enjoy fishing trout all year long.

I miss my Uncle Lewie....However;
I know he's with me on every fishing trip.

2009 CT Saltwater Angler of the Year ~> CT DEEP
1st Place 2009 Team Tuesday Fluke Off

My wife Claire with the Red hair is: A Flukin Princess
Get Outdoors and Enjoy Life!
Lifetime member of the NRA
#586344 - 04/03/06 04:52 PM Re: New Trout regs
timb Offline

Guys,
I will be happy to supply the data that
I have as soon as I get a chance. With trout stocking and Opening Day just around the corner, sampling pike in Bantam and walleye in Squantz, I have not been in the office much lately. As soon as things settle down a little I will post the available data.
#586345 - 05/02/06 02:44 PM Re: New Trout regs
Bob2 Offline

Loc: Naugatuck, Ct.
First, the people that live/visit this lakes in the summer are mostly out of staters and they don't pay to stock the lake anyways so the fishing question is moot. Ice fishing in a lake that has a chance for trophy size fish where there is more potential for release is damaging the colder the outside temp and wind is. The handling of the fish is the key. In the summer is where the problem lies for the most part. Warm water, light line means playing for to long, heavy line and horseing the fish in causes more problems. There isn't any easy solution to solving the problem. I haven't fished E. Twin in sometime but I NEVER saw people catch that many fish when I was there, sometimes 2-3 times a wk. Yes I have caught big fish there and spent the time making sure I never had floaters even in the summer. I guess you could catch 4500 fish, fishing for 30 weeks, every day putting 150 fish in the boat. That's only 50 fish per person. :rolleyes: I have 2 digital Cannon's, a depth temp and speed control, DF fishfinder that can pick out a shiner swimming in 60 ft. of water if anchored, it would be hard to find and catch that many Perch. If you fish with only LG bait/lures you will have a better chance of only LG fish caught. I fish LG baits for Trout in trophy lakes, catch fewer small fish. There isn't any easy answer, find other lakes??? change your summer fishing habits, always nice to catch a trophy but at what expense. The State did a study I was part of with circle hooks, other hooks , different sizes, power bait verses worms, and the end result was the mortality wasn't enough to even worry about. Water temp./depth WILL make a difference for sure along with many other factors already mentioned. If your looking for a trophy then don't look for numbers, change your style. Have I caught trout over 5lbs?yes 6,yes 7,yes 10,only twice. 15 was the biggest. So I'm not blowing smoke. I know Tim B. is a knowledgeable person, dedicated to the Ct. fisheries from what I have seen and heard.

Bob S.
MUSKY, EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST BAIT.~~~~>"{{{}}}<(
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Bill G, Editors, FindBass 

Active Topics