ctfisherman.com logo
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#586346 - 05/02/06 05:50 PM Re: New Trout regs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been fishing for large brown in Lakeville, E. Twin, and Highland ever since alewives were introduced in these lakes. I quickly learned that large browns are too valuable a resource to kill or to take a chance of them not surviving due to handling or fishing during warm water periods. To achieve this my personal rules are: not to use bait(live or dead),only use single hooks (I only use flys), unhook fish in the water while in the net, if the hook does right out cut the leader,use a soft net (no poly net)only measure fish if it can be done quickly while in the net, no pictures (it takes too long I usually fish alone)and lastly I don't fish for browns from the first week in July until well into October.
Fishing Info
#586347 - 05/02/06 09:46 PM Re: New Trout regs
***Coach Paul*** Offline

FISH-ON !!!!

"GET A LIFE"? I GUESS YOU REALLY DONT ENJOY FISHING TWIN. WELL I DO AND IF THIS HAPPENS IT'S GOING TO SSUUCCKK!!! I BOUGHT DOWNRIGGERS JUST FOR TWIN AND I GET ALOT OF JOY OUT OF IT SO THINK BEFORE YOU SAY "IT'S ONLY THREE LAKES" BECAUSE IF IT WAS YOUR FAVORITE LAKE YOU WOULD BE PISSED TOO.
#586348 - 05/03/06 12:29 AM Re: New Trout regs
danny k Offline

The Good Life

Loc: Port Huron Michigan
twin was awesome when they had restricted season. tons of 6-8lb fish. i primarily night fish with bait in the late spring and fall so im all for a shut down of the season from july to sept. Too many small trout die from summer fishing.

St. Clair River. Port Huron, MI.
#1 Prolific Fishery in North America Bar None!
#586349 - 05/03/06 12:52 PM Re: New Trout regs
Anonymous
Unregistered

E. Twin has always been my favorite lake. Unfortunately the quality of the fishing has gone down hill since it has been open past May 31 and to ice fishing for trout. Lowering the size limit also didn't help. Zebra mussels reducing the alewife population hasn't helped the trout either. I now spent more time fishing other lakes instead of crying about the proposed regs.
#586350 - 12/14/06 04:53 PM Re: New Trout regs
hornhunter Offline

Ct.Fisheries Biologists,

I think if these trout fishing closures fail in the fishing public catching larger trout,you should start stocking less but larger trout.Rather than wasting and stocking an overabundance of fingerlings and yearlings that dont holdover anyway.Rhodeisland and especially Mass.,Maine trout stocking quality puts Conn.'s to shame.The majority would rather catch quality than quantity.
#586351 - 04/21/07 12:51 AM Re: New Trout regs
tom davis Offline

dear mr. horn hunter,
this is my reply to you on this subject.

ready everyone look

#586352 - 04/26/07 10:59 PM Re: New Trout regs
bass tracker Offline

"GET A LIFE"? I GUESS YOU REALLY DONT ENJOY FISHING TWIN. WELL I DO AND IF THIS HAPPENS IT'S GOING TO SSUUCCKK!!! I BOUGHT DOWNRIGGERS JUST FOR TWIN AND I GET ALOT OF JOY OUT OF IT SO THINK BEFORE YOU SAY "IT'S ONLY THREE LAKES" BECAUSE IF IT WAS YOUR FAVORITE LAKE YOU WOULD BE PISSED TOO.,

"Coach Paul".

I agree with Coach I'm really looking into hooking some trout at east twin, but throughout this whole year every single dead fish I have seen were caught with minnows. I believe that allowing this law to happen is rediclous, It took me quite a while to make $350 + dollars for samll downriggers and leadcore, etc. Adding this law is a big smack in the face to all the East Twin Fisherman.
#586353 - 04/29/07 01:59 PM Re: New Trout regs
MikeG Offline

Loc: NW CT
I agree about stricter regs being needed on East Twin.But again the proposed regs seem silly at best and un enforcable.

Some natural reproduction of Brown Trout is taking place on East Twin in the creeks and canal,problem is in the fall when this is happening boats are running right through the reds(nests) and destroying them.Snaggers are another big problem.
The main breeding spot is the canal connecting East and West Twin Lakes.I know it will upset people but this area needs to be protected from October to first ice and made off limits to both boat traffic and anglers.Protecting these spawning fish might help offset summer mortality rates by by protecting natural reproduction in the lake.

Many people stop and try to snag these fish from the bridges on Between The Lakes Rd.,seen several large trout this past fall with numerous lures hanging from various parts of their bodies \:o Even caught a big trout ice fishing with a large 2/0 hook stuck in its back,all I can figure is someone tried to snag it when it was in shallow spawning .

Boats try to run through this shallow gravel area with motors trimmed up ,this cause the reds to be blown out ,other people try to paddle or "pole" their boats through this is also destroying reds.

Twin lakes is a real gem and needs to be managed to it's full potential. It is capable of producing large trophy trout along with a nice balance of "pan sized trout".

DEP should also look at the perch problem in East Twin as a problem,days of keeper size perch are gone as well as the guys who used to target them. This has resulted in a huge population of stunted perch. Could be a big reason for the lack of alewives,perch devour alewive juveniles in large numbers , Perch prefer the same depths as trout and alewives.

just my opinions and observations....
#586354 - 05/08/07 06:35 PM Re: New Trout regs
Pistol Offline

BIG Yellow Broom Stick

Loc: South Reading, VT
I have to say when I read these laws it's like someone has it out for me!!! This is my best fishing with the broomstick & lead core / and down rigging.... it is an art form Releasing the fish take a little care.

Come on.... Maybe a DEP official should actually come out with us to see it in real time..... data & numbers can be crunched anyway you like to suit any purpose.....

I fished East Twin alot last year, and I didn't see anything like that at all.

And there are plenty of big fish there....

I miss my Uncle Lewie....However;
I know he's with me on every fishing trip.

2009 CT Saltwater Angler of the Year ~> CT DEEP
1st Place 2009 Team Tuesday Fluke Off

My wife Claire with the Red hair is: A Flukin Princess
Get Outdoors and Enjoy Life!
Lifetime member of the NRA
#586355 - 05/23/07 03:25 PM Re: New Trout regs
orviskid Offline

they should cut the limits down too. theres no need to have 5 trout per angler. the state has a hard enough time stocking the numbers they do and the quality isn't good.cut the limit to 2 trout per angler.i catch & release almost always so the trout are always there for someone, 5 per angler is way too many.no need that.
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Bill G, Editors, FindBass 

Active Topics