ctfisherman.com logo
Page 24 of 28 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#928636 - 03/12/08 04:40 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood [Re: bk]
Buck Offline

I don't want another tax either. My first choice is no sticker program with free, fair and equitable access to every public access lake in the state. Unfortunately, I don't believe that is going to happen. From the testimony we heard on Saturday and from what gets published it is clear the pony here is not only funding the CLA but to exclude outside users of the lake either through economic barriers, limited stickers or whatever other plan they can come up with. So I believe it will continue to raise its ugly head like gun control efforts, the saltwater license and other pervasive challenges we face. My proposal tries to make the best out of a bad situation and mitigate multiple stickers on multiple public access lakes and economic barriers but the DEP is not going to want to take over a state-wide sticker program either and probably will not support my proposal. But I am assuming this sticker effort continues though I wish I was wrong.
The registration fee does not serve the agendas of the sticker program. It does not fund lake authorities or the DEP, it goes into the motor vehicle department and funds their activities.
So I hope that the entire sticker idea fails and is forgotten. I have no problem paying local taxes and having some of that money go from my town to fund the CLA. I don't think this is a big burden to our town or any of the other towns around the lake. Around the state other local organizations and towns fund lake authorities and lake projects that benefit me when I use "their" lake. This is how America functions, we share and help each other. Like someone else said above, we don't pay to use town roads when we travel around so why a local lake.
I guess we will know more by the end of the month.
Fishing Info
#928697 - 03/12/08 07:16 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood [Re: Buck]
BASSMANinCT Offline

What I see being discussed is a variant of issues.

What are the real issues behind the proposed Sticker?

From what I read:

1. Too much traffic on lake: According to the CLA, the lake residents are complaining, and also pointing the finger at the traffic coming from Lattins and Squantz Lanches, and fishing tournaments.

The facts do not support the complaints, as the two launches can not support the traffic in numbers. All tournaments are permited based on the number of parking spaces available at those two launches at half the number (or 50 boats per launch). There are 6000 boats registered and moored there in marinas and resident homes. Accidents are down every year as well.

2. CLA needs more power or money, but the towns already provide money to pay for it, but surely that cost increases yearly. Certainly the money needs to come from somewhere.

Charge money at both ramps. Lattins has not charged in years. CLA should hire staff to collect fees there. The problem is in Squantz, the DEP staffs that, and monies collected go where? Not to the CLA I'm sure.

I was not at the meetings, so I'm not sure exactly the issues, I'm just going from what you read here and in the news articles. Nothing seems very well planned or discussed on the important issues or with appropriate people. Some of this is common sense, alot of it is just various complaints with alot of BIAS from those perspectives as well.

From my point of view, the fisherman who visits the lake about 1 to 2 times a month during the season, it is just $50 bucks a year. I would be inclined to pay $50 over $10 per launch fee, but still I would not think there would be a change in any of the reported concerns or issues. Lake traffic would not lesson, accidents are already low, police presence is already very wide already. I have not been bothered by police or CLA once while on the lake fishing, probably because I am careful, obey the laws, and thus, there is no need for me to be bothered. This is my 5th year coming.

"A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!"

BASSMANinCT
My Fishing Pics Here: http://facebook.com/CameraManSWAIZE
#928707 - 03/12/08 07:45 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood [Re: BASSMANinCT]
CWood Man Offline

Stop Bitchin' And Get Fishin'!

Loc: Villas NJ
Good work Bassman. I think this bill is rediculous. I live on the lake so I get the concerns from all angles because I am friends with bass fisherman and homeowners. I do wish the people that don't live on the lake would stop assuming that we think the traffic is high because of the ramp traffic. Very untrue! We are all concerned about the well being of the lake and the increase in building and more and more moorings being granted on the lake.

This bill is meaningless. Accidents are down and patrols are always out there in full force. There has to be something done for the well being of the lake period! I was actually swaying on the side of the bill because my knee jerk reaction was that it would decrease the traffic but for $50, which is less than 1 round of golf or 1/2 tank of gas I think people will still pay it. If this bill is to strictly have more patrols then it is a waste. Focus more on protecting a great lake!

The launches and parking lots are a joke as far as condition and they are allowing more and more new constructions to go up every year. Yes I am self fish in wanting less traffic on the lake and to stop building but the lake has more developed land per acre than any other lake in the state. It has to stop or the lake will truely die!

CHANGE IS SCARY BUT IT IS REWARDING ON THE OTHER SIDE!

SURELY MISS MY CTF FRIENDS BUT ALWAYS WILL BE HERE TO GIVE ALL A HARD TIME!

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Don't call me on a Tuesday, I'm on the water!

Chris
#928718 - 03/12/08 08:06 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood [Re: CWood Man]
BASSMANinCT Offline

Originally Posted By: CWood Man
Good work Bassman. I think this bill is rediculous. I live on the lake so I get the concerns from all angles because I am friends with bass fisherman and homeowners. I do wish the people that don't live on the lake would stop assuming that we think the traffic is high because of the ramp traffic. Very untrue! We are all concerned about the well being of the lake and the increase in building and more and more moorings being granted on the lake.

This bill is meaningless. Accidents are down and patrols are always out there in full force. There has to be something done for the well being of the lake period! I was actually swaying on the side of the bill because my knee jerk reaction was that it would decrease the traffic but for $50, which is less than 1 round of golf or 1/2 tank of gas I think people will still pay it. If this bill is to strictly have more patrols then it is a waste. Focus more on protecting a great lake!

The launches and parking lots are a joke as far as condition and they are allowing more and more new constructions to go up every year. Yes I am self fish in wanting less traffic on the lake and to stop building but the lake has more developed land per acre than any other lake in the state. It has to stop or the lake will truely die!

Is that the impression they really have? It seems to me the outsider, that in the media, the residents blame daily launched traffic from those two sites.

I understand your concerns, but I think that the CLA is not responsible for agricultural (is that the right word?) condition of the lake, which is where they want the income to go, to the CLA for policing the lake.
I remember when the lake was sold to the current owners, they proposed a fee structure and plan to charge lake front property owners for the changes made to the shoreline. It seems to me that the lake owners have the authority to do something about those types of needs and changes. I wonder what came of that plan.

I wonder how that marina at Lattins would react if the state closed down Lattins. Then that marina could expand into the whole cove there.

"A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!"

BASSMANinCT
My Fishing Pics Here: http://facebook.com/CameraManSWAIZE
#928722 - 03/12/08 08:14 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood [Re: CWood Man]
CAJUN Offline

I don't understand why the CLA even has the power to bring this bill up for discussion.I wish someone woukld clarify this foe me,Who are the CLA are they just a fancy neighborhod watch group who is starving for some power ??? Do they have any power at all??If they do why??A friend of mine was at squantz getting ready to launch his boat and overheard one of the CLA "officers"???? say well its time to go harrass some bass fisherman as they left the launch.These are people with money who want some authority plain and simple.Who runs the DEP that is allowing these people to infringe on our rights anyway?F 'm all.This is a government for the rich .

Have I ever told you I hate the "CLA" !!
#928726 - 03/12/08 08:17 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood [Re: BASSMANinCT]
CWood Man Offline

Not my neighbors. All we talk about is how to stop the building on the lake and how to stop the huge marinas from getting bigger. Yes we here of the little complaining about a lure stuck in a dock rope but all in all I have to stay you guys aren't the targeted ones when it comes to the lake.

You are correct in saying CLA isn't responsible for the "well-being" of the lake. The DEP has to make a stand and "Protect" the enviroment like they are supposed to and really get restrictions passed on the lake from development and more docks, but that is a pipe dream I suppose.

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Chris
#928757 - 03/12/08 09:59 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood [Re: CWood Man]
BigLee Offline

Loc: New Milford CT
Chris
I think I understand this better now. You are involved with your lake association. They know you. One of the things that cause conflicts to escalate is when the parties do not see each other to talk face to face. The home owners know you and must perceive you to be a nice person. This makes all the difference in the world even if you were to have differing opinions.

3 Representatives from Club A got up and had prepared speeches. They were quite adamant that the ramps were causing the problems and that local homeowners do use the lake on the holiday weekends.

They insisted that NY federations come here because their season is shut down until sometime in June. They repeated this even though when I spoke I stated that NY had changed it’s laws and that was no longer the case.

They used the scare tactics that zebra muscles and invasive plants were going to invade the lake even after I pointed out that part of the water comes from The Housatonic River and there are Zebra muscles upstream. When I tried to point this out that because of the high Calcium levels in the water they will be here it is a question of when not if. Larry Marsicano stated that the lake did not have a lot of calcium except in the New Milford arm which is where they will come in.

I spoke to one of the Club A guys after the meeting last night face to face and contradicted some of his accusations firmly and with out shouting. He is accusing Bass Fisherman of cutting his sail boat free, Throwing his Aluminum chairs into the water off his dock, Throwing beer bottles in the water next to his beach, getting lures snagged on his boat dock. Going to fast he insisted that he could tell that some boats were exceeding the speed limit. On and on. The one point I strongly disagreed with him on is that in 20 years of tournament fishing I have never seen or heard of a Tournament angler drinking a beer in his boat. He also basically stated that it was ok for the Patrol officers to harass tournament fisherman because we were breaking laws and damaging his property. HE was also very upset over some of the meetings that were held in the past and felt that the Fishermen that attended were rude and disrespectful. Hopefully we each went away with a slightly changed point of view.

Mary Ann Carson did ask for a show of hands for support of the bill and there were only four in opposition.

This meeting was taped and should be broadcast on charter Local Cable access in the next couple of weeks

Have a safe time on the water and may that tight line be pulling back.

A member of Schaghticoke Bassmasters
http://members.tripod.com/~bassmasters_ct/index.html
A member of the TBF. The Bass Federation Tournament Bass Fishing for everyone.
http://www.ct-tbf.com/
#928766 - 03/12/08 10:14 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood [Re: BigLee]
CWood Man Offline

I can just tell you from our 43 home community and the other homes around us that the ramp traffic is the absolute furthest from our minds. We do sometimes see bass boats right in front of us slipping over our roped in swim area. I actually saw that but it was windy and when I asked the basser to be more careful he was more than nice.

The bill sucks and again my knee jerk was that it would cause less boats so I am all for it. People in my "hood" see my Salt boat and see me bringing my gear on the lake boat all the time so I give them some real imput. Are there bass boats that speed? Yup! Are there pleasure boats that speed? Yup! You will always have homeowners trying to bash fisherman and vice versa. Again all I can say is that the main thing on the homeowners mind that I am friends with is the well being of the lake.

What happens is a bill gets in the local paper and CLA pulls it off as a great thing and more patrols means a safer lake so pony up "only" $50. I think it is more of them getting caught up in the moment then really researching it. To bad I had to be out of the area until 9pm becuae I could of seen it from both sides.

By the way what is CLUB A?

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Chris
#928791 - 03/12/08 11:09 PM Re: Paying to use your boat on Candlewood [Re: CWood Man]
Buck Offline

Club A is an organization of lake front and lake side communities that have banded together under Club A to be a lobbying organization. They testified this past Saturday too and their message is one of exclusion as Big Lee stated. They basically want the lake to themselves.
Cajun, the Bill was introduced not by the CLA but by the state reps in the area who have the power to create and introduce Bills to the state house.
As an observation, Club A and the other elitist/exclusionary testifiers do no service to our Candlewood Lake problems. The rest of the state reps and the DEP will revolt against this thinking and not pass the Bill. This is no different than what we have seen at Lake Waramaug and Bantam Lake the past three years. We can not have local power over these issues unfortunately or there will be strategies of exclusion. Only the state will make decisions in the best interest of the population not local interests, excepting of course, corrupt politicians like disgraced exGov. Rowland.
#928799 - 03/12/08 11:22 PM Re: Bill Has Been Raised for Candlewood Lake Boat Use Permits HB5828 [Re: bk]
Jim&Sylvia Offline

As far as I see it.The CLA and other lake Auth. Is to restrick outside access to their lakes. Almost ever Tour. Ive been in the CLA is out on the water for the launch. than after that they are no where to be seen. One sunday Sylvia and I was pulled over for not being on the right side for passing. The lake was a zoo. I asked the wanabee to look out at the lake and tell me whos wright? Or where are they, When your fishing Sherman roadbed and a 25 footer with 10 people go between you and shore never looking at you. only after they pass to see if fail on your @zz. Or at night when the hatch lets out. You have to head for shore not to get run over. Dont kid yourselves 99% of these people dont want you on their lakes. Thats CLA main agenda. Just my 2 cents.
Page 24 of 28 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics