I haven't followed Metallica for years. I remember being a rabid fan in the eighties though. Wore out multiple cassette copies of "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets". They seriously rocked back then.

But, something happened on the way to the bank, and these guys got money hungry. The whole issue with Lars and Napster left most people just hating Metallica. Most artists still don't realize that song-swapping is good for them, as it introduces their music to new fans. But all Lars was worried about was more money in his wallet. Well, his problem isn't with Napster... its with his greedy, corporate, record label that take the lion's share of the profits. He should concentrate on bashing them in the future.

Now James has "found God" and gone through rehab. Who gives a crap? Kirk is non-existant on this album (outside of standard chops), and Lars drums sound horrible. I see some folks putting together a metal top-ten. That's real hard to do.. but; here are some of my favorites:

10. Motorhead: Orgasmatron
9. Megadeth: Peace Sells, but Who's Buying?
8. Pantera: The Great Southern Trend Kill
7. Rush: Anything that crunches on any of their albums between "Rush" and "Moving Pictures".
6. Anthrax: Pretty much any of the earlier stuff.
5. Yngwie Malsteem's Rising Force: Marching Out (sure the lyrics and singing suck, but; Yngwie is incredible).
4. Zakk Wylde: Sonic Brew.
3. Ozzy Osbourne: Tribute: Randy Rhoads (I still miss Randy).
2. Iced Earth: Night of the Stormrider
1. Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin II. The godfathers... you have to give respect.

That's all for now..

Take care,

Cabal Quid