Wonka, I saw the picture of the fish being held by the fisherman in a boat on a lake that I know very well and even recognized the exact spot. Since I didn't weigh it we can argue how big it is but we can't argue that a huge bass was caught. I was told it was weighed by the fisherman on a hand digital scale, similar to what many of us carry in a boat and it registered 12lbs. I have no way of knowing if this weight is exaggerated at all. It was released but the picture has been seen by others besides myself and the fisherman is known locally by people who I trust.
Further, electroshocking trips on these waters have retrieved bass to 8lbs or more that have puked up stocker trout in the holding tank. I have been on these trips.
I would think that a record breaking bass, or at least one over 10lbs, is a solitary creature that inhabits the deeper waters on the outside weed edge or underwater structure and feeds a few times a week on large bluegills, trout, small bass, fall fish, suckers, etc. and therefore is not prone to being caught by a tournament fisherman flippin spinner baits under someone's dock. You have to fish specifically for this one fish, maybe all month for one bite. Just like you hunt a rack buck or fish for a trophy pike or any kind of trophy. My impression is that is what this fisherman was doing, that this was not an accident though it was an extremely rare and once in a lifetime event.
JMHO of course, I am not a bass fisherman so what do I know but I do have 20/20 vision now after cataract surgery.