Rick Z great blog thanks for sharing it.
I feel the same way about my home state waters in Mass. Mass Cape Cod waters can stay ice free some years and that adds to the growing season but true certified 10lb fish are few and far between. Mass DEP has an all time list for the state of certified 10lb plus. After the state record freak 15lb8oz fish the numbers drop off fast. #2 is 13lbs even and is the only 13+ listed, # 3 is 12lbs1oz and is the only 12 listed ,# 4+ # 5 are 11lbs4oz + 11lbs2oz and after that there are 13 fish from 10lbs even to 10lbs15oz. That’s a total of 18 certified 10 plus in the state of Mass.
I feel both Mass + CT state records are very safe and hope someday to be proving wrong. Ever year I hear of a 10lb+ plus LM being caught in Mass but the truth is that it only happens about ever 5-6 years. Most years a 9+ takes the gold pin and back in 2005 an 8lb6oz was the winning bass. I feel any LM over 8lbs from our New England waters is a great fish.
I have seen the CT DEP list from 1965-1984 and the number of 10lb+ LM is very short with only a handful listed. I wish CT DEP would make a list of certified 10s and better for us to see see. Even a top 5 would be very interested to see.
I added a photo of the top 18 LM over 10lbs from Mass with #s of lengths and girths. Also a look at the 1975 Mass state record 28” X 23” LM that weigh 15lbs8oz on a tip-up.

Click to enlarge...