MikeV, glad you met up with Paul to learn the ropes. You're hooked now! BTW, you posted in the 2020 Shad thread, LOL!

Sunday, 16.May, 12:45-3:45 pm, on the Wall. The water was way down from Thursday, the current was decent, and there wasn't too much flotsam. There were only about 10 or 11 people working the wall when I arrived. One shad was landed as I pulled my gear from the car, and another as I set up; 15 minutes later I C & R my vitamin shad after our Kodak moment. Throughout the afternoon one or two were caught at long intervals.

When the heavy rain came most folx left, but a couple of us waited it out. We fished in an off and on light rain for another hour or so, but with meager results. Other than a few alewives, and a couple of hits that didn't stick, I was done. Rumor has it things heated up after 4:pm when a nice run came to town. I guess I should have stayed, but I was hungry and tired.

Terminal tackle: 3/4 oz drail over 3' 8# flouro, and hammered silver in red/white w/black dot, blue/chartreuse w/black dot, Jamaican, and blue/white w/black dot.

17.May, 8:30 am-5:15 pm, on the Wall. The water was down even more from last night, current about the same, and no junk floating by worth noting. And there were only a few people, and never more than about 7 or 8 people total, the wall was down right lonely today. About 15 minutes after I started casting practice, I had a good hook-set. After a short tussle, it came to the net, and was released after our Kodak moment. Then the casting practice set down in earnest. A shad, or two was caught about every 45-60 minutes; not clock work, but fairly regularly at intervals.

One of the regulars caught a huge roe before I left, it was heavy, long, and fat. I'd guesstimate over 4#, maybe pushing 5#, and it gave him a nice fight. I managed to tangle with 6 over the course of the day, landing 5 and losing 1 that saw the net, turned and looked at me, then jumped and spit the hook back. I'd swear it, that shad mocked me! shocked

Terminal tackle: 3/4 oz drail over 3' 8# flouro, and hammered silver in red/white w/black dot, blue/chartreuse w/black dot, orange w/black dots, orange/yellow w/orange dot, Jamaican, and a smooth gold in pink w/black dot. The last hour or so before I left, the current was so slack I had to switch to 5/8 oz because I was losing rigs, including drail snagging the bottom hard.

Since I took the week off, I will be hitting the River hard. The Wall for sure, and maybe a couple of trips down to Harbor Park, or Rocky Hill. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"