It was two years, last week, that we moved to the Smilin’ Islands,’ the FL Keys. Our home on Grassy Key- just above Marathon, in a neighborhood is filled with USCG personnel from Station Marathon. It has worked in my favor (no boardings). It also has many former northern residents, including an inordinate number from Michigan and other northern Midwest states.

The negatives: summertime heat/humidity- AC 24/7 and the possibility of hurricanes; high insurance rates; SE Miami residents who day trip to the Keys to rape the fragile ocean ecosystem and despoil the shoreline with debris. Mini lobster season (ongoing- 2 days of insanity on the water). Having to drive 75+ miles to reach Florida CityHomestead/Miami and beyond to reach ‘civilization’ including airports and big box stores or to partake of quality medical care. Finally, Pam misses both her family and our son & daughter, and, especially, our 2 year old granddaughter, Vincie. While we fly up to the Northeast on a somewhat regular basis, it’s not nearly enough for Pam.

The positives: gaining over $10,000 a year due to FL’s reasonable taxation rates, i.e. no income tax or excise tax; a reasonable cost of living, waking up each and every day in a paradise where the world comes to vacation. Being surrounded by the ocean where great fishing & boating is a way of life. A wide selection of restaurants & tiki bars, world class sunsets & breath taking scenery are always available. People and laws that favor firearms’ ownership and the real meaning of the 2nd Amendment. A limited number of asshat politicians like Murphy, Blumenthal, and Lamont. Gov. Rob DeSantis has proved to be a man of his word since his inauguration in addressing both environmental concerns and outdoor pursuits. While Marathon has a lot to offer in regard to things to do and see and has come light years from what it was 35 years ago even without any major retailers, Amazon Prime has become a good friend.

Housing is limited to standing dwellings and new construction that must adhere to VERY stringent post IRMA building codes. The price of existing dwellings and new houses is rapidly rising. We have gained over 50K in equity in just two years. For those looking for a place to settle in FL, Sebastian, Melbourne, Port Saint Lucie are still has reasonable real estate while places like Engelwood on the west cost has some great properties.

After spending several years post retirement from education operating my successful charter business out of Watch Hill, and with Pam on the precipice of leaving from her hygienist position (after 40 years), we looked at what CT had become and where it was headed and decided that it was time to leave both for both financial and political factors. In regards to leaving CT, I had intimate knowledge of what we were getting into after nearly 40 years of spending time while in Naval flight trading in the early 70’s and visitations to Islamorada and other Key’s locations due to my passion for fishing and writing opportunities over many years.

All in all, we’re happy to be where we reside although the adage that the grass always seems greener on your neighbors’ lawn sometime applies. Nothing’s perfect but we’re pretty close to it. Eric Abahamson will attest that our location has many positives including the fact that living at MM 57, we live in the heart of the Keys, both Key Largo and Key West are roughly an hour away. Islamorada is 20 minutes away so I often fish out of there or stop by to visit Richard at B N’ M’s or to hit restaurants such as Habanos, The Lorilea, or Lazy Days.

If any CTFer’s get down to the Keys, give me a shout if you’d like to charter for a day’s fishing or to simply grab a bite to eat or a cold libation. That’s a part of Key’s life that I truly enjoy the most.

Edited by Captbillb (07/24/19 12:23 PM)