I think you've really started 2 topics here.

One is about the DEP

The other is about why we live here.

I'm having a tough time connecting the two.

In relation to the DEP. It is a huge beauracracy, i work in one myself so I know that just because something negative happens in a certain area it shouldn't give the whole organization a bad name but it does.

I'd like to say for myself that I do have utmost respect for many who work in the DEP and the orginaization as a whole. They generally do good work with the resources they are given. I have volunteered for them numerous times in the past and will continue to do so. I have friends who worked for the orginization seasonly and allowed me to meet some of the biologists who are doing awesome work.

That being said sometimes you can't just accept things when you know they're wrong. Sometimes bad decisons are made and we're lucky enough to live in a place where it is our job as citizens, voters, and taxpayers to speak up. Sometimes when a group speaks up as a whole its easy to forget there are different people doing different jobs and the orginization as a whole gets a bad rap.
I think thats what we are seeing right now.

Oh I live here 'cause I was born here and there are certainly positives and negatives no matter where you live. Right now the positives are just edging the negatives. One thing I hate is the TRAFFIC/Transportation systems and the speed of light pace many people live by. One thing I like is the diversity of settings, both rural and urban as well as an hour drive to all sorts of fishing opportunities.